Liz Peek: Madame Vice President — Biden's latest goof narrows field to these likely contenders

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I was of this opinion almost as soon as the statement he made on the show was publicly released. I believe this opinion piece is going to turn out to be accurate. I might be fairly new to politics but I'm a quick learner and I find patterns and predictable reactions to events. It's what makes Trump so different than other politicians, he doesn't follow scripts.

Liz is probably right, we will all have to see I suppose (since this VP pick is such a big surprise announcement to everyone, so exciting!). My initial reaction was that Trump would bring in Haley, as a safe counter choice, now I'm not so sure. See my comment above about Trump not following scripts.

Biden will have to appease the usual Identity Politics followers which so many have generated as a "legitimate political concern" for voters. It's not a policy, it's an appeal strategy. In fact it's the opposite of a policy and I imagine it will be viewed as such by many voters who simply want the most qualified to be president if something were to happen to the President, not simply an Identity Politics choice that checks off a couple of boxes.

Without question, the broader voter of the nation will see all of this as him appeasing to an entire community because of a comment he made. Just as he pre-emptively announced he would choose a female VP, which to me is nothing more than trying to secure the female vote; he now has to promote a "diverse choice to reflect a diverse nation"

So I ask again, which of these do you all potentially want as president? Instead of Rice, she adds the name of Val Demings, some former cop from Florida:

Liz Peek: Madame Vice President — Biden's latest goof narrows field to these likely contenders

Until the Charlamagne da God episode, the leading VP propsects were Klobuchar, Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris, former Georgia state Rep. Stacey Abrams, and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

But Biden’s most recent flub will push him to choose a black partner. That narrows the field to Harris, Abrams and Val Demings.

Demings is a second-term congresswoman from must-win Florida. She is a former cop who served as chief of the Orlando Police Department. Demings actually is what Biden sometimes has pretended to be, the first in her family to go to college. Her husband is also a police officer, and currently serves as mayor of Orange County.

Last edited:
Yes, it is generally agreed that Mr. Biden will select Ms. Harris/Abrams/DeMings/Rice.

Failure to do so would infuriate a super important constituency of the Democratic Party.

Mr. Biden cannot afford to alienate this group. He is so close to realizing his lifelong dream of becoming President of the United States of America.

Forum List

Back