LIVE: Volcano erupts on La Palma in the Canary Islands

skye

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2012
A volcano erupts on La Palma in the Canary Islands, sending fountains of lava and a plume of smoke and ash into the air from the Cumbre Vieja national park in the south of the island.

happening now...

LIVE: Volcano erupts on La Palma in the Canary Islands​

A volcano erupts on La Palma in the Canary Islands, sending fountains of lava and a plume of smoke and ash into the air from the Cumbre Vieja national park in the south of the island.

happening now...

Wow... wasn't there something said about part of the island breaking off and causing tusnami mayhem for a lot of folks?

Damn. That must be equal to the pollution of 20 million small jap cars.

Kricky, there goes all the carbon credits Joe just saved with TPP and the Paris Accord! :fingerscrossed:

happening now...

I understand 85,000 people live on that island.

happening now...

Two things I always wanted to do but never realized:
  1. Chase tornadoes close up.
  2. See active volcanoes, particularly ones with lava lakes.

Two things I always wanted to do but never realized:
  1. Chase tornadoes close up.
  2. See active volcanoes, particularly ones with lava lakes.

I've been in a couple tornadoes. I don't recommend it.

And I don't even like it when the temps are over 80, let alone being close to something that could flash fry me in a second.

I believe I'd rather sit on my deck with my feet up and drink beer.

Turns out, Spain's Civil Guard evacuated 1000, but may have to evac 10,000 more, depending on the volcano.

Wow... wasn't there something said about part of the island breaking off and causing tusnami mayhem for a lot of folks?

Imagine if a tsunami starts in case part of the island breaks off!....it can reach the East coast of America!

I believe I'd rather sit on my deck with my feet up and drink beer.

Well, that, too, but when not drinking, I always wanted to go chase a good tornado (not have them chase me) and visit a lava lake like Nyiragongo.

Marum_sept_2009.jpg

Lava_Lake_Nyiragongo_2.jpg

possibility of tsunami?

La Palma volcano eruption today: evacuation, possible tsunami and live updates​

Update 19 September 2021 at 22:44 EDT

Imagine if a tsunami starts in case part of the island breaks off!....it can reach the East coast of America!

Yeah- James was mentioning that earlier tonight. I don't know how likely it is, but it's pretty hair raising to think on.

one site said it could drop 500 cubic kilometers of rock into the sea and cause 80 ft waves on the US east coast. Sounds like that might do it alright, but 2 other sites said this 25 km long island with the shallow gradations to the west represented no threat across the Atlantic Basin. None of the sites were known to me, nor quoting USGS or organizations I had heard of. Who knows!

happening now...

COOL. Seen that a couple times out of my bedroom window. It's been silent about 10 years now. A lil smoke now and again.
Yep. That pic is from my master bedroom x10 or so zoom
053511cdcd0e06dad7b49897276c5d9f.jpg

Zero zoom and quiet. DAMNIT

p2130030-1024x1024.jpg

Another video.

Authorities are asking people not to head to the eruption site to sightsee, the roads are jammed making evacuations difficult.

Neat! I find that kind of thing fascinating. That vid look like the whole ridge was just unzipped and spewing.

happening now...

We've been watching the Iceland volcano ever sense it started. That has been a good one to watch. Just turned the TV to this one. Thanks.

New Topics

Forum List

Back