Links to paywalled or otherwise blocked content should not count…

Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2015
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
I know that in some contexts, an OP is required on this forum to contain a link to an article supporting the points made in the OP.

I would like to propose that wherever a link is required, it should also be required that the content at that link be easily and freely available; that links to content that is blocked by a paywall, by requiring one to disable ad-blockers or other ant-malware measures, or any other such obstructions, should not count as a valid link for purposes of fulfilling the rule that a link is required.

It does no good to provide a link, if one cannot easily read the content that is supposed to be offered at that link.

So we should no longer cite books? Nearly all decent news sources are behind paywalls, The Economist, WSJ, etc., or books. 'Easily and freely available' can mean the posts here, for instance, or DU, or the fake news purveyor NYT and Huffing Post.

• Banned
So we should no longer cite books?

The rules of this site specifically require links, in some contexts. Books don't count anyway, as it is now, unless the content of those books is available online.

A different discussion could be had about whether we should allow offline sources, such as books, in contexts where we now require links, and if so, how that woudl affect the rule that I am proposing; but that's a different discussion.

Nearly all decent news sources are behind paywalls…

I couldn't disagree more.

By definition, a decent site does not block access to its content. Period.

A link to content that I cannot read has no credibility, and is to be treated at best, as “fake news”. Anyone could post such a link, and make any claims as to what the content at that link says or supports, without others having the ability to read and verify for themselves what it says or in what context it says it.

If it is to be considered valid to post a link to content that those reading the post in which such a source are unable to read the content for themselves, then how is this any better than not posting a link at all?

Forum List

Back