Linguistic humor

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
The National Poetry Contest had come down to two semifinalists: a Yale graduate and a redneck from Wyoming. They were given a word, then allowed two minutes to study the word and come up with a poem that contained the word. The word they were given was "Timbuktu".

First to recite his poem was the Yale graduate. He stepped to the microphone and said:

Slowly across the desert sand
Trekked a lonely caravan.
Men on camels, two by two
Destination---Timbuktu.
The crowd went crazy! No way could the redneck top that, they thought. The redneck calmly made his way to the microphone and recited:

Me and Tim a-huntin went,
Met three whores in a pop up tent.
They was three, and we was two,
So I bucked one, and Timbuktu.
The redneck won hands down!

• Banned
The linguist's husband walked in and caught his wife sleeping with a young co-ed. He said, "Why, Susan, I'm surprised." She bolted upright, pointed her finger and corrected him, "No. I am surprised. You are astonished."

• Banned
A linguistics professor was lecturing his class the other day. "In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. However, in some languages, such as Russian, a double negative remains a negative. But there isn't a single language, not one, in which a double positive can express a negative."
A voice from the back of the room retorted, "Yeah, right."

• Banned
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed and dry cleaners depressed?
Laundry workers could decrease, eventually becoming depressed and depleted! Even more, bedmakers will be debunked, baseball players will be debased, landscapers will be deflowered, bulldozer operators will be degraded, software engineers will be detested, and even musical composers will eventually decompose.

• Banned
Simple Questions, Complicated Answers
blueball.gif
Why is abbreviated such a long word?
blueball.gif
Why does monosyllabic have five syllables?
blueball.gif
Why is brassiere singular and panties plural?
blueball.gif
Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
blueball.gif
Why is a carrot more orange than an orange?
blueball.gif
Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
blueball.gif
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
blueball.gif
Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together?
blueball.gif
Why do scientists call it research when looking for something new?
blueball.gif
Why do they call it a building? It looks like they're finished. Why isn't it a built?
blueball.gif
Why is it when you transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it's called cargo?
blueball.gif
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
blueball.gif
If price and worth mean the same thing, why priceless and worthless are opposites?
blueball.gif
Is there another word for synonym?
blueball.gif
Is it possible to be totally partial?

Gallagher is one of the most intelligent comedians I've ever seen- he proves, as do a couple others, that real life is funnier than made up shit- he, Carlin and Ron White are at the top of my funny list.

A Roman Legionnaire walks into a bar.

The bartender asks "What can I get you?" to which the Legionnaire replied: "A Martinum please".

The bartender looked puzzled, "Don't you mean a Martini?"

The legionnaire snapped back with "If I wanted a f*cking double I'd ask for one!"

Forum List

Back