Like 1937 all over again

Except this time there won't be WW3 to bail out Obama.

I think that, however, we can at least agree that FDR was pretty much Godlike compared to Obama, or any modern politician. Even without the War the US was starting to recover properly.

And when the war started? He was a hell of a tough cookie.

Surprised there wasn't white smoke coming up the Capital Chimney after FDRs passing - he was such a pope.....................................

FDR should have let the nation know that he was a cripple

FDR should have let the nation know that he was a cripple

The man stood higher than most men ever could.

Just afterPearl Harbor - FDR ordered Japanese-Americans on the West Coast to be put into internment camps.

Property seized..........................

Then there was that St Louis business. And his failure to bomb the railroads into Auschwitz.
His economic policies sucked and prolonged the Depression. He agreed with Stalin at Yalta to enslave Eastern Europe.
How such a loser could attain a godlike reputation is beyond me. My mother voted for him in her first election, probably 1940, and still idolizes him.
My grandfather was a year ahead of him at Columbia Law and commented how he was less than brilliant.

Like 1937 all over again

I wish times were that hopeful.

It's like 1937 leading us into 1237 if some of our less progressive thinkers have anything to do with it

Like 1937 all over again
Oh....we're gettin' a.....

....alright.

Hmmmmmm....Perry's BUSH III vs. Romney's BUSH III....whatta choice.

handjob.gif

I guess a crazy-person could always be a(nother) option:

MICHELE-BACHMANN-CRAZY+EYESarge300.jpg

I'm not sure why you are focusing on 1937.

If you want to compare 2012 to 1936 (because it's the only example of a guy with unemployment this bad getting re-elected), there is a temptation to do that. But the comparisons don't work.

First, 1936 was the fourth of 4 bad election cycle for Republicans. Between 1930 and 1936, Republicans went from 270 seats in the House to 88, and 54 seats in the Senate to 17. They effectively ceased to be a viable opposition party. They started to climb back in 1938, but still wouldn't regain the presidency until 1952, when a War Hero conceded many points to the Democrats on the role of government.

While the GOP took hits in 2006 and 2008, they erased those losses in 2010. So as an organization, they will be formidable.

Second, Unemployment dropped from 25% in 1932 to 16% in 1936. (It spiked back up again in 1937.) So really, FDR could point to real accomplishment. It is unlikely that unemployment is going to get much better for no other reason any jobs produced by the private sector will be reduced by public sector reductions, and even if things start to get better, the people who gave up will get back in, keeping the unemployment rate about where it is.

Third, Alf Landon was a real non-entity. I think Perry is the strongest candidate the GOP could put up. Romney is problematic because of his religion and his inability to connect. Bachmann is nuts, Paul is nuts, and everyone else isn't going anywhere. The GOP might hurt itself if the establishment pushes Romney over the top, but Perry would be pretty formidable.

Fourth, we just don't have patience today like we did then. We want instant gratification. Probably what got us into this mess. If things aren't better, we will vote the guy out.

WW2 bailed out FDR. The New Deal was an abysmal failure.

He HID his polio from the American public for 16 years -he was BLIND to the Japanese threat to Hawaii, hn put innocent American citizens in concentration camps without due process (can we say Nazi?) and stacked the US Supreme Court.

Was there smoke coming out of the Captital Bldg after the popes death??????????

Last edited:
Except this time there won't be WW3 to bail out Obama.

I think that, however, we can at least agree that FDR was pretty much Godlike compared to Obama, or any modern politician. Even without the War the US was starting to recover properly.

And when the war started? He was a hell of a tough cookie.

God Like? Hardly. He saddled us with Half the Problems we fact today, and Many Experts believe his Policies actually prolonged the Depression.

However he still rates as a great President for his Abilities as a war Time Leader. IMO.

Any president- even Carter - would have won WW2 with Americas industrial might, manpower, and anger...............................

Any president- even Carter - would have won WW2 with Americas industrial might, manpower, and anger...............................

No, FDR was an incredibly skilled diplomat, he knew what he was doing.

yeah - he knew what he was doing....................

What exactly did he do wrong in the handling of the war? Not to attack your message, I'm simply curious as to what brought you to this opinion.

Forum List

Back