Libs Will Not Vote If It Rains?

red states rule

May 30, 2006
This is so funny it has to be true. Dems do not get off their butts to vote when it rains.

Rain is forcast for the East and in the Mid West. This is where there are some very important and close races to be be decided.

I do not know what the fuss is all about. Libs are all wet 365 days a year

Democrats hope rain, rain stays away
New research says bad weather can cut into Democrats’ voter turnout.

By BILL ADAIR, Times Washington Bureau Chief
Published November 3, 2006

WASHINGTON — As Republican strategists make last-minute preparations for Election Day, checking voter lists and calling supporters, they might want to consider an unorthodox tactic: a rain dance.

A new study of voter behavior confirms something political operatives have long suspected: rain hurts Democrats and helps Republicans. The study found that 1 inch of rain reduces overall turnout by slightly less than 1 percent and cuts the Democratic vote by 2.5 percentage points.

“Rain does have a significant effect decreasing the Democratic vote share,” said Brad Gomez, a visiting professor of political science at the University of Georgia who co-authored the study. “That’s a fairly sizeable swing.”

By analyzing weather and voting data since 1948, Gomez and his colleagues, Thomas Hansford and George Krause, calculated how many voters stayed home because of rain and snow.

During the especially rainy 1992 election, 666,000 voters stayed home, but Democrat Bill Clinton won the presidency by such a large margin that it did not affect the outcome. By contrast, weather had virtually no effect on turnout in 1952 and 1980.

The more it rains, the more people stay home, the researchers found. But snow has a lower impact. One inch of snow reduces turnout by slightly less than 0.5 percent.

They determined that a few storms in the right locations could have changed the outcome of the 1960 presidential election. If there had been storms in the Northeast and the Midwest, Richard Nixon would have won instead of John Kennedy.

Their study, “The Republicans Should Pray for Rain: Weather Turnout and Voting in U.S. Presidential Elections,” will appear in the Journal of Politics next year.

Campaign strategists have long believed that bad weather deterred Democratic voters more than Republicans. But until now, they didn’t know how much.

Why are Democrats affected more? Political operatives believe it’s a matter of demographics. Democratic voters tend to be poorer than Republicans and may not have cars to drive to the polls. Those voters, the theory goes, would be more likely to stay home in bad weather.

Another explanation is that Democrats are more likely to be what political scientists call “peripheral voters,” people casually interested in politics who don’t feel compelled to vote in every election.

Their decision about voting is more likely to be influenced by outside factors such as rain.

Gomez was inspired to conduct the study after watching Today Show weatherman Al Roker predict that stormy weather would have an impact on turnout. He wondered how Roker could make such a claim.

Gomez and his colleagues compiled voting data and weather reports for more than 3,000 U.S. counties for presidential elections from 1948 to 2000. Using a sophisticated analysis of precipitation, historical turnout and factors that affect voting, they calculated how much the turnout was influenced by rain or snow.

To compensate for voters accustomed to rainy or snowy weather in their hometowns (they theorized that residents in soggy Seattle would cope with rain better than people in a dry city such as Phoenix), the researchers factored in normal precipitation for election day.

They studied only presidential elections, so it’s not clear how well the results apply to a mid term election like the one Tuesday. The impact of weather could be different because midterm elections draw fewer peripheral voters.

Democratic strategists acknowledge that their party is more affected by bad weather but say they boost their turnout efforts by giving out rain ponchos or adding more vans to give voters a ride to the polls.

The party’s biggest weather fanatic is Donna Brazile, the manager of Al Gore’s 2000 presidential campaign. With the election just three days away, Brazile has been watching the Weather Channel and checking Web sites to see where the storms will be.

Other Democratic operatives simply look at the forecasts, but Brazile analyzes the jet stream and tracks storm systems hundreds of miles away.

Friday night, she was hopeful because of a high pressure system over the Ohio Valley. She said it would keep storms away from important states such as Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

“I would say right now the weather forecast favors Democrats.’’

Washington bureau chief Bill Adair can be reached at [email protected] or (202) 463-0575.

How come everyone of your posts is about what YOU think the libs do...its so redundant and old.. Heres your posts.

LIbs Always Say.........

This is what libs like to do ...............

Libs dont like................

Repubs do this........libs do that........

That about sums up all your posts.

How come everyone of your posts is about what YOU think the libs do...its so redundant and old.. Heres your posts.

LIbs Always Say.........

This is what libs like to do ...............

Libs dont like................

Repubs do this........libs do that........

That about sums up all your posts.

First I did not write this article. It is not my fault Dems do not like to venture out in the rain to vote

Second, I know libs very well. They do not like to be confronted with what they say or what they belive in.

People call me a conservative and I say thank you. I call a liberal a liberal and, in most cases, they meltdown

Unlike liberals who hate conservatives, I do not hate liberals. I only want them politically defeated and out of power

Somewhere there's a quote that goes like this:

"I never learned anything from a person who agreed with me."

Apparently you are content to not learn anything - ever. Enjoy your ignorance. Its the only thing you can truly call your own. :boohoo:

I have learned alot from liberals. I have learned liberalism is a total failure. Now, if only liberals would learn that lesson

I just want to see you write one post witout saying what libs do or dont do. Please...Just one Fucking Post !!!!!!

First I did not write this article. It is not my fault Dems do not like to venture out in the rain to vote

Second, I know libs very well. They do not like to be confronted with what they say or what they belive in.

People call me a conservative and I say thank you. I call a liberal a liberal and, in most cases, they meltdown

Unlike liberals who hate conservatives, I do not hate liberals. I only want them politically defeated and out of power

You prove one more thing I have learned about libs. They are very emotional and they base their beliefs on that emotion

Good intentions to libs are more important then actual results

Who ever said I was a Lib ? You will not find one post of mine where I said I was a lib. What I am for is right and wrong. My ideas dont all sit on one side of the fence unlike alot of the people here. I voted for Reagan.. So nice try, but once again, YOUR assessment of what YOU thought was right ...IS ..in fact... WRONG !!!

You prove one more thing I have learned about libs. They are very emotional and they base their beliefs on that emotion

Good intentions to libs are more important then actual results

Who ever said I was a Lib ? You will not find one post of mine where I said I was a lib. What I am for is right and wrong. My ideas dont all sit on one side of the fence unlike alot of the people here. I voted for Reagan.. So nice try, but once again, YOUR assessment of what YOU thought was right ...IS ..in fact... WRONG !!!

You saying you are not a liberal is like Ted Kennedy saying he is not a drinker of adult beverages

See ..Just like a republican...failing to admit that their prior belief could infact be incorrect. I will say it again...I VOTED FOR REAGAN...God that just has to put all kinds of holes in your theory doesnt it.

See ..Just like a republican...failing to admit that their prior belief could infact be incorrect. I will say it again...I VOTED FOR REAGAN...God that just has to put all kinds of holes in your theory doesnt it.

Even a stopped clock is right two times per day

I do agree with T-bor. You do do the "Libs are/do..." thing way too much. I don't think you truly understand the liberal mindset just like a liberal doesn't truly understand the conservative mindset.

I do agree with T-bor. You do do the "Libs are/do..." thing way too much. I don't think you truly understand the liberal mindset just like a liberal doesn't truly understand the conservative mindset.

I do understand the liberal mindset. Libs pit one group against another, in an attempt to cast one of the groups as a "victim"

Black VS white; employee VS employer; old VS young; and male VS female.

They also say the only way to solve the "problem" is to vote for them, or the protected class will get screwed

I do understand the liberal mindset. Libs pit one group against another, in an attempt to cast one of the groups as a "victim"

Black VS white; employee VS employer; old VS young; and male VS female.

They also say the only way to solve the "problem" is to vote for them, or the protected class will get screwed
I'm still seeing no true comprehension of liberal mindset.

I'm still seeing no true comprehension of liberal mindset.

I will try to make it simple for you

Libs need people to be dependent on them for some form of government money or program. Without their dependence, libs would have no base

And without FEAR where would the Republican party be ? You never ever state anything about your own party. All you do is critique the left. You do to the left exactly what Anne Coulter says the left always does to the right. You go out and find yourself a little example to help support and your theory and you come running here and go SEE SEE...ALL LIBS ARE LIKE THIS..THIS IS WHAT LIBS DO... Your biased.. its quite comical actually.

And without FEAR where would the Republican party be ? You never ever state anything about your own party. All you do is critique the left. You do to the left exactly what Anne Coulter says the left always does to the right. You go out and find yourself a little example to help support and your theory and you come running here and go SEE SEE...ALL LIBS ARE LIKE THIS..THIS IS WHAT LIBS DO... Your biased.. its quite comical actually.

Lets see... fear.....

Do you mean when Al Gore sneered how Republican enviromental policies would kill people? Or how Republicans would throw old people out of nursing homes? Or how Republcians want to starve school children?

Libs have been scaring seniors for decades into thinking Republicans want to stop their SS checks

Yes, libs need fear to keep them in power.

brainwashed.jpg

Forum List

Back