‘Liberty’ Rebellion Threatens to Undermine Virus Orders in Idaho

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Now here is someone truly stuck on stupid. Where most see crisis..he see's political opportunity. Bundy was never one to let a crisis go to waste...this takes the cake. Does he even recognize that he and his followers are in danger of running afoul of Darwin?

I would point out that this is all in extreme Northern Idaho..home to crazies, anti-vaxers, extreme preppers and tin-foil hats of all stripes. Most of Idaho has no issue with staying at home and social distancing...Twin Falls..where I call home..is adamant about stopping the disease in its tracks.

— Inside an old factory building north of Boise, a few dozen people gathered last week to hear from Ammon Bundy, the man who once led an armed takeover of an Oregon wildlife refuge.
The meeting, which appeared to violate orders by Gov. Brad Little of Idaho to avoid group gatherings, was an assertion of what Mr. Bundy said was a constitutional right to peacefully assemble. But Mr. Bundy said he also hoped to create a network of people ready to come to the aid of those facing closure of their businesses or other interference from the government as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

“If it gets bad enough, and our rights are infringed upon enough, we can physically stand in defense in whatever way we need to,” Mr. Bundy told the meeting. “But we hope we don’t have to get there.”

In a state with pockets of deep wariness about both big government and mainstream medicine, the sweeping restrictions aimed at containing the spread of the virus have run into outright rebellion in some parts of Idaho, which is facing its own worrying spike in coronavirus cases.
The opposition is coming not only from people like Mr. Bundy, whose armed takeover of the Oregon refuge with dozens of other men and women in 2016 led to a 41-day standoff, but also from some state lawmakers and a county sheriff who are calling the governor’s statewide stay-at-home order an infringement on individual liberties.
Health care providers and others have been horrified at the public calls to countermand social-distancing requirements, warning that failing to take firm measures could overwhelm Idaho’s small hospitals and put large numbers of people at risk of dying.

“There are a lot of people that listen to those voices around here,” said Dr. Hans Hurt, an emergency doctor at Bonner General Health, a medical center in the town of Sandpoint, 45 miles north of Coeur d’Alene. “Even if it’s just a small group that wants to exercise their right to assemble, it puts the community at large at such a high risk.”
Many of the latest claims about the Constitution have come from Idaho’s northern panhandle, where vaccination rates for other diseases have always been low and wariness of government is high.
State Representative Heather Scott, a Republican from Blanchard, northwest of Coeur d’Alene, is encouraging her constituents to push back on the statewide stay-at-home order, saying people have “a God-given constitutionally protected right to peacefully assemble.”
Tim Remington, a Coeur d’Alene pastor who was appointed to the State House of Representatives in January, led a church service on March 29, four days after the stay-at-home order went into effect, that was open to the public.
And in Bonner County, Sheriff Daryl Wheeler posted an open letter saying that the public had been “misled” by public health officials’ dire predictions and called on the governor to convene an emergency session of the Legislature to debate his stay-at-home order.

“In the spirit of liberty and the Constitution, you can request those that are sick to stay home,” Sheriff Wheeler wrote. “But, at the same time, you must release the rest of us to go on with our normal business.”

Last edited:
I would point out that this is all in extreme Northern Idaho

Have you ever been to Northern Idaho? They've been practicing social distancing before it was cool ... centuries before.

Kamiah-ID.jpg

I would point out that this is all in extreme Northern Idaho

Have you ever been to Northern Idaho? They've been practicing social distancing before it was cool ... centuries before.

View attachment 320436
LOL! Yeah..there is that. Yes..I lived in Coeur d'Alene for years..during the Aryan Nations days. I raised my family in Spokane Wa.--36 miles from the Idaho border, because the schools are far better, Idaho is ranked last. I like southern Idaho far better. Almost all of that article is set in Bonner county..right next to the Canadian border..Sandpoint is the county seat.

Small hospitals? There is hospitals all around boise.
Sure..but this is far from Boise..the article is misleading in its opening...Bonner county is the northernmost county in Idaho and is as rural as it gets. I imagine that some are concerned about the national following Bundy has.

At the end of the looonnnggg article was this-
After the governor’s order, Mr. Remington said, the church encouraged parishioners to stay home unless they felt they needed to join with other worshipers for their well-being. He said the church provides services for people in substance-abuse rehabilitation and wanted to keep the doors open for them while encouraging social distancing and offering masks.

But then the board of the church decided, against Mr. Remington’s wishes, to halt all in-person services for the time being.

ROTFLMAO! I just finished reading the whole thing as well...this was tucked in there:

Dr. Robert Burnett, the medical director for cardiovascular surgery at Kootenai Health in Coeur d’Alene, just south of Ms. Scott’s district, said he viewed the comments from the lawmaker and the sheriff as “criminal.” He said he was “horrified” that public officials would use their platforms to encourage behavior that threatens lives.
To Dr. Burnett, Ms. Scott and Mr. Wheeler have “relinquished their claim to a ventilator” should they get sick from the virus and need one — although he hastened to add that they would get complete care should they get sick.

New Topics

Forum List

Back