Liberals and Conservatives

nt250

Jun 2, 2006
I've been posting on message boards for about 7 years now and the one thing that always gets me in trouble is that I don't care who says something. I don't pay attention most of the time, and even when I do notice the user name, I usually don't remember it. I also have a really hard time recognizing people with similiar names from each other. Mr. P and Palerider? CSM and CP? Gimme a couple of years.

I have strong opinions and I write about them. Sometimes those opinions are liberal, sometimes they're conservative. It depends on the subject.

If I agree with you one one thing, that doesn't make me your friend, and it I disagree with you on another thing, that doesn't make me your enemy. It just means we disagree. We may totally agree on something else, and if I do agree with you I will say so. I won't disagree with you simply because you're you.

Which brings me to my point:

Liberals are totally unable to follow that simple idea. They just can't do it.

Take George W. Bush, for example. Most liberals have no idea that many conservatives can't stand him either. How would they? They refuse to read anything that any conservative has ever written. And if they ever have read anything from a conservative, like OMIGOD Ann Coulter!, they just call them liars. That's what liberals do. They accuse conservatives of calling any opposition to Bush "un-American", and they accuse anybody who says we should support the country, and our President in a time of war, of calling them "unpatriotic" when just the opposite is actually true.

Conservatives criticize Bush all the time. The best written criticisms I've ever read about Bush's presidency, his policies, and his decisions, have been written by conservatives. The difference is that they keep it to the subject. They don't say he looks like a chimp. They don't compare him to Hitler. They don't call him the Anti-Christ, and they don't say he molests his kids.

Liberals say things like that. Why do they hate George W. Bush so much? Beats me. Nothing he has ever done warrants the kind of hate liberals have flung at him.

Why do liberals hate conservatives so much that they won't read a single word any of them say? Beats me. Most liberals don't know what a neo-con is but that doesn't stop them from using it as an insult.

I'm considered a conservative because I love my country, I don't hate George W. Bush, and I support my president in war time.

I don't mind being called a conservative. Liberals really hate being called liberals, though.

Take George W. Bush, for example. Most liberals have no idea that many conservatives can't stand him either. How would they? They refuse to read anything that any conservative has ever written. And if they ever have read anything from a conservative, like OMIGOD Ann Coulter!, they just call them liars. That's what liberals do. They accuse conservatives of calling any opposition to Bush "un-American", and they accuse anybody who says we should support the country, and our President in a time of war, of calling them "unpatriotic" when just the opposite is actually true.

Conservatives criticize Bush all the time. The best written criticisms I've ever read about Bush's presidency, his policies, and his decisions, have been written by conservatives. The difference is that they keep it to the subject. They don't say he looks like a chimp. They don't compare him to Hitler. They don't call him the Anti-Christ, and they don't say he molests his kids.

Liberals say things like that. Why do they hate George W. Bush so much? Beats me. Nothing he has ever done warrants the kind of hate liberals have flung at him.

Why do liberals hate conservatives so much that they won't read a single word any of them say? Beats me. Most liberals don't know what a neo-con is but that doesn't stop them from using it as an insult.

I'm considered a conservative because I love my country, I don't hate George W. Bush, and I support my president in war time.

I don't mind being called a conservative. Liberals really hate being called liberals, though.

*Shrugs* Call me a liberal, I won't care. :p:

And on the general point of your post, I have to disagree. Liberals and conservatives can typically agree on lots of things - the problem is people only seem to see the differences. It becomes an 'us versus them' mentality on certain issues, and people, sadly, let that extend from one or two issues to all issues.

Plus it is an example of extremes - the ones who feel strongly are going to be the ones you hear about / see in the news more often, no matter the issue. The 'us versus them' mentality also leads to people keeping the company of the people they agree with / connect to in some fashion: Why read their blog when you can read our blog? So what if they may have something to say on the issue?

Personally I read a few conservative blogs, and most of my liberal friends think I'm some kind of uber-liberal in regards to social issues (though I'm conservative... well, not as liberal on some economic issues.) Oh, and I don't hate George W. Bush, either. I dislike many of the things his Administration has done, and I don't agree with him on most issues, but I certainly don't hate the man. I think he would have made an excellent something-other-than-President. It just seems to me that he is constantly out of his depth - I would probably be in the same boat if people were just itching to see me screw up. Nobody needs that kind of pressure added onto the pressure simply inherent in running the United States.

But that's just this liberal's viewpoint.

*Shrugs* Call me a liberal, I won't care. :p:

And on the general point of your post, I have to disagree. Liberals and conservatives can typically agree on lots of things - the problem is people only seem to see the differences. It becomes an 'us versus them' mentality on certain issues, and people, sadly, let that extend from one or two issues to all issues.

Plus it is an example of extremes - the ones who feel strongly are going to be the ones you hear about / see in the news more often, no matter the issue. The 'us versus them' mentality also leads to people keeping the company of the people they agree with / connect to in some fashion: Why read their blog when you can read our blog? So what if they may have something to say on the issue?

Personally I read a few conservative blogs, and most of my liberal friends think I'm some kind of uber-liberal in regards to social issues (though I'm conservative... well, not as liberal on some economic issues.) Oh, and I don't hate George W. Bush, either. I dislike many of the things his Administration has done, and I don't agree with him on most issues, but I certainly don't hate the man. I think he would have made an excellent something-other-than-President. It just seems to me that he is constantly out of his depth - I would probably be in the same boat if people were just itching to see me screw up. Nobody needs that kind of pressure added onto the pressure simply inherent in running the United States.

But that's just this liberal's viewpoint.

I agree. I don't mind being called a liberal either. Aside from my opposition to gun control, which almost never comes up and I don't think I've ever posted about here on this board, I'm about as liberal as you can get.

Oh, but I'm a huge Ann Coulter fan so that sorta cancels everything else out, I guess.

I agree. I don't mind being called a liberal either. Aside from my opposition to gun control, which almost never comes up and I don't think I've ever posted about here on this board, I'm about as liberal as you can get.

Oh, but I'm a huge Ann Coulter fan so that sorta cancels everything else out, I guess.

I think Ann Coulter is brilliant - I don't like what she says, but she does seem to know how to work the system to make oodles of money.

I think you are confused.

You have said you are liberal, you are conservative, you are both, you are neither, and you are a moderate. So, which is it?

I've been posting on message boards for about 7 years now and the one thing that always gets me in trouble is that I don't care who says something. I don't pay attention most of the time, and even when I do notice the user name, I usually don't remember it. I also have a really hard time recognizing people with similiar names from each other. Mr. P and Palerider? CSM and CP? Gimme a couple of years.

I have strong opinions and I write about them. Sometimes those opinions are liberal, sometimes they're conservative. It depends on the subject.

If I agree with you one one thing, that doesn't make me your friend, and it I disagree with you on another thing, that doesn't make me your enemy. It just means we disagree. We may totally agree on something else, and if I do agree with you I will say so. I won't disagree with you simply because you're you.

Which brings me to my point:

I don't mind being called liberal. I've been called un American by many on this board, b/c I don't support Bush or the war in Iraq. In fact, just about every conservative I've debated with calls me un American and a tells me how much I hate freedom.

Liberals don't hate Bush anymore than Conservative hate Clinton and Gore.

nt-sweeping generalizations don't make for good qualitative observations.

I don't mind being called liberal. I've been called unAmerican by many on this board, b/c I don't support Bush or the war in Iraq. In fact, just about every conservative I've debated with calls me unAmerican and a tells me how much I hate freedom.

Bull....Prove it, that a lot of people on this board have called
you unAmerican...:link:

Speaking about sweeping generalizations.....That's what your doing by accusing many on this board that their all or a lot of the people here are accusing you of being unAmerican....
You seem to be able to dish it out, but you can't take it when people call you on your opinions.....:cry:

Just what the hell is an UnAmerican, anyway?????

You have said you are liberal, you are conservative, you are both, you are neither, and you are a moderate. So, which is it?

I said it depends on the subject.

Abortion, the death penalty, the ACLU, religion. I'm about liberal as you can get.

Gay rights, immigration, small government, gun control, religion. I'm about as conservative as you can get.

I can't think of anything I'm a moderate on because if I'm moderate about it means I don't care enough about it to form an opinion enough to argue about it.

I don't mind being called liberal. I've been called un American by many on this board, b/c I don't support Bush or the war in Iraq. In fact, just about every conservative I've debated with calls me un American and a tells me how much I hate freedom.

You hit the nail on the head. Social liberals were so in love with Clinton that when Conservatives held him responsible for his oval office behavior and subsequent cover up, they have NEVER forgiven the conservatives nor will they. Bush is just a good target conservative in thier eyes. They base arguments on emotion, not facts. It might be possible to debate issues rationally if thier revenge hunger would allow them to forgive temporarily but it doesn't.

Thats what I was thinking...I believe she is 'looking for God in all the wrong places'! Maybe Frank is God ...No maybe it's Ann...No...maybe it's me...No I can't seem to find me...lol However I consider myself to be an intellectual...imho....:huh:

I said it depends on the subject.

Abortion, the death penalty, the ACLU, religion. I'm about liberal as you can get.

Gay rights, immigration, small government, gun control, religion. I'm about as conservative as you can get.

I can't think of anything I'm a moderate on because if I'm moderate about it means I don't care enough about it to form an opinion enough to argue about it.

You are one confused soul...it's okay to abort yet you are against the death penalty...then you say you support guns...go figure!:cof: Not to forget mentioning you are conservative on "religion" yet you claim to be an athiest!

Your concluision about moderates is false. Being a moderate is about finding the common ground on an issue and finding a workable compromise. It isn't about "not caring."

Let's start with this whole "un-American" thing and the constant accusations that liberals claim they are accused of it. And let's keep it in the context of message boards. Also any "you" statement is an editorial "you", not you personally.

Myself? I use the term anti-American. For two reasons: I have no idea what being "un-American" means, and every board I've posted on has posters from all over the world, so it'd be pretty dumb to say a poster from Australia was "un" something he's not to begin with. I guess I could call a Canadian "un-American", but it's just easier to use anti-American because it covers everybody who hates America. And by America I mean the United States of... Yes, I've had liberals argue with me about what the term "America" actually means since all the countries in North and South America are "America".

Now, Chad. You tell me how someone who tells me that I can't call my own country by it's name are not anti-American? If you make that argument, you're Anti-American.

About this argument "I don't hate America, I just hate George W. Bush" thing. George W. Bush is the President of The United States of America. It's not a lifetime gig. No president can be elected to more than two terms, so technically no president can serve in office for more than 12 years. (If he's Vice President and the President dies on the first day, that term doesn't count. But that hasn't happened yet.)

The problem I have with people who criticise a sitting president is the WAY they do it. Some of the best, most well written criticisms about Bush and his administration and policies are written by conservatives and they are about his administration and his policies. They are not about HIM personally. If you call my president Evil, the Anti-Christ, a Nazi, akin to Hitler, or say he looks like a chimp, I'm going to call you Anti-American.

If you post a video that you think is only bashing Bush, but contains scenes of the American flag with the sounds of gunfire in the background as the stars turn to bullet holes and the stripes drip blood, I'm going to call you Anti-American.

If you post articles that say 9/11 was the direct result of American Imperialism and foreign policy, or that the invasion of Iraq has only increased terrorism, I'm going to call you Anti-American.

If you say that any crime committed by any American service member anywhere in the world is a direct reflection of Bush's competence as Commander-in-chief, I'm going to call you Anti-American.

That statement is so laughable it's pathetic. Prominent Democrats have accused Bush of not only letting 9/11 happen, but of planning it. And on message boards? How many liberals on this board have posted links to PNAC to prove 9/11 was engineered by the neocons? Huh? You can't get anymore hateful than saying our own government was behind 9/11.

Prominent Democrats have called Bush a Nazi. We're not talking the nutjob fringe here, we're talking elected members of the Democratic party. Evil, Chimpy, Junior, stupid (except when he's an evil genius). The hate showed for George W. Bush is so out of proportion to anything the man has ever said or done that it's mind boggling. Liberal don't see it that way because liberals always think that if they believe something to be true it can't be considered hate.

Forget Clinton and Gore, they're history, and the worst thing any prominent conservative has ever said about Clinton is that he's a liar. Um, he is a liar. The worst thing any prominent conservative ever said about Gore was that he's a liberal. Um, he is a liberal.

Sorry, I forgot. Only liberals are allowed to do that.

You are one confused soul...it's okay to abort yet you are against the death penalty...then you say you support guns...go figure!:cof: Not to forget mentioning you are conservative on "religion" yet you claim to be an athiest!

Abortion has nothing to do with the death penalty. People have to be born before they are alive and no baby is alive until it is born. Ever heard of stillbirth?

I don't support guns. I'm against gun control. I don't like guns. I would never own a gun. And I think anyone who has guns with kids around is stupid. But I oppose gun control for two reasons: I believe the Second Amendment means what it says and that the first path to government tyranny is an unarmed populace. I have also been around hunters. I worked in Vermont for 5 years (I lived in New Hamphire, but all my friends were Vermonters) and I know that any place where a lot of people own guns is a safe place to live. I've been against gun control ever since the Luby's massacre. If that woman who watched both her parents get shot to death had had a carry permit she would have had her gun with her, and not in the glove compartment in her car, and maybe she could have saved some lives. Including her parents.

If you notice I mentioned religion for both liberal and conservative. I mentioned it under "liberal" because I am an atheist. I mentioned it under "conservative" because I don't hate Christians and I hate Islam. Lilberals hate Christians and love Muslims so the fact that I'm an atheist is a minor detail.

Thats what I was thinking...I believe she is 'looking for God in all the wrong places'! Maybe Frank is God ...No maybe it's Ann...No...maybe it's me...No I can't seem to find me...lol However I consider myself to be an intellectual...imho....:huh:

I don't look for God. And Frank was no God. The Bastard dumped me when I told him I was pregnant. He was great in bed, though.

I do not consider myself an intellectual. I'm too fucking lazy. I just post my opinions, that's all.

Forum List

Back