Liberal Scholar Joins Conservative Think Tank

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Because the intollerantly "tolerant" younger progressives are obsessed with identity politics and little else.

An old line is that revolutions devour their children, but apparently they’re equally unkind to their elders. Ruy Teixeira spent many years at the Center for American Progress (CAP), a progressive Washington think tank that provides much of the agenda for Democrats. Now he’s joining the conservative American Enterprise Institute (AEI). “I’m just a social democrat, man,” Mr. Teixeira told Politico. “Trying to make the world a better place.”​
At age 70, he hasn’t changed his views on the importance of economic class. Yet he said CAP is being warped by a junior staff for whom identity politics is everything. “It’s become very hard to have a conversation about race and gender and trans issues, even crime and immigration,” Mr. Teixeira said. “You know, ‘How should the left handle these?’ There’s a default assumption about how you’re supposed to talk about these things, even the language. There’s a real chilling effect on all of these organizations.”​
He’s exhausted by internal staff politicking. “It’s just cloud cuckoo land,” Mr. Teixeira said. “The fact that nobody is willing to call b—, it just freaks me out.” He’s also frustrated by the lack of support he received for a project that aimed to unite the black and white working classes. “Nobody wanted to touch it,” he said. “You could tell. People were leery of talking about the white working class, as if it was de facto racist.”​

I don't agree with him ideologically but politically, he is spot on with what the Democrats have to do to become competitive amongst the white working class again. He's also been detailing the declining support for the Democrats amongst Hispanics who are predominantly working class and are not on board with the identity politics of the over-educated liberal activists who are a minority in the party but dominate the media and Democratic narratives.

You can read his missives on substack.

Because the intollerantly "tolerant" younger progressives are obsessed with identity politics and little else.

An old line is that revolutions devour their children, but apparently they’re equally unkind to their elders. Ruy Teixeira spent many years at the Center for American Progress (CAP), a progressive Washington think tank that provides much of the agenda for Democrats. Now he’s joining the conservative American Enterprise Institute (AEI). “I’m just a social democrat, man,” Mr. Teixeira told Politico. “Trying to make the world a better place.”​
At age 70, he hasn’t changed his views on the importance of economic class. Yet he said CAP is being warped by a junior staff for whom identity politics is everything. “It’s become very hard to have a conversation about race and gender and trans issues, even crime and immigration,” Mr. Teixeira said. “You know, ‘How should the left handle these?’ There’s a default assumption about how you’re supposed to talk about these things, even the language. There’s a real chilling effect on all of these organizations.”​
He’s exhausted by internal staff politicking. “It’s just cloud cuckoo land,” Mr. Teixeira said. “The fact that nobody is willing to call b—, it just freaks me out.” He’s also frustrated by the lack of support he received for a project that aimed to unite the black and white working classes. “Nobody wanted to touch it,” he said. “You could tell. People were leery of talking about the white working class, as if it was de facto racist.”​

I don't agree with him ideologically but politically, he is spot on with what the Democrats have to do to become competitive amongst the white working class again. He's also been detailing the declining support for the Democrats amongst Hispanics who are predominantly working class and are not on board with the identity politics of the over-educated liberal activists who are a minority in the party but dominate the media and Democratic narratives.

Holy crap, outstanding. Maybe a few other people will do the same thing.

We're being killed by binary thinking.

I just read a long article on this very thing--trying to work with Progressive activists and how toxic and stultifying it is. UGH I wish I could remember where that was I read it. The Atlantic? Salon? One of those. These Identity Warriors make productivity impossible because they fight constantly about their victim status. That's the nutshell.

You're not going to unring this bell for a very, very long time because Identity Politics is a religion for too many people

So not a single excerpt by this author to help support OP's claim of "what Democrats have to do." The link to Substack hawks a book. Where is Teixeira's actual text linked in this thread without having to buy the book? OP hawks Hispanic workers, the "more libidinal types" (Lacan), and attempts to castrate the evolution of Homo sapiens with the slur "over-educated."

Jordan Peterson is joining with the daily wire as well, a soundly conservative news and media source.

Anyone that is familiar with Peterson is he is very much a liberal, but the old school kind of liberal that cares about free speech, facts, reality, morals, personal responsibility and so on.

It's interesting to see that most liberals have gone so far left, the once average liberal is now in with conservatives because they stayed where they were. People like Peterson and even Joe Rogan some see as conservative when really they aren't, because by comparison to most liberals and our current administration the fact they are reasonable, oppose being censored, and all that other stuff they are seemingly conservative when compared to most liberals today.

Analyzing the text, one initially comes across an important Teixeiran pathology, as he attempts to (miscegenate [italics]) the concept of identity with the triply-inclusive term, "focus on race, gender and identity."

But as most Hispanics are Catholic as is the current POSPOTUS, the meaning of genuflecting immigrants across the border becomes salient. From the start, Teixeira has immediately disenfranchised the individual by making that individuality lacking and in need of a priest, as he says,

"The reason," he says, is that the relentless focus on raсe, gender and identity in historically liberal foundations and think tanks has made it hard to do work that looks at society through other prisms. It also makes people nervous about projects that could be accused of giving short shrift to anti-racism efforts."

So we've most definitely got here a shell-game theologian fronting as a scholar.

' Shrift. Archaic. 1. The imposition of penance by a priest on a penitent after confession. 2. absolution or remission of sins granted after confession to a preist. 3. confession to a priest. 4. the act of shriving.'
(American College Dictionary)

This dipshit is going to tell us what racism, gender and identity mean.

"We (are [italics]) meaning."
(Jean-Luc Nancy, The Gravity of Thought)

Forum List

Back