Liberal Myth: Conservatives Are Outside The Mainstream

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
the%20way%20liberals%20really%20feel.jpg

This is how the left marginalizes the right and claims the right is full of radicals:

Conservatives can’t be mainstream because it is liberals who speak for the American people. The fact that 41 percent of Americans identify themselves as conservative and only 21 percent as liberal doesn’t matter—liberals are the guardians of the genuine interests of the American people. In the liberal imagination, the political spectrum consists of left, center, right, and far right. Liberals simply define the center as somewhere near where they are and consign vast swaths of the electorate to a place outside polite society called the far right.

What do they site as their proof? The left says they stand for the working man. They support higher wages by supporting increases in the minimum wage and by supporting minorities through government mandates. They pander to their special interests. The latest is through diversity hiring inside the Department of Defense and other agencies. Thousands of employees are being retired and let go, enough so that the gains in the private sector has been cancelled out to obtain a net gain in jobs of zero.

Obama has also decided to go around Congress and essentially grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

The fact is Liberals don't speak for mainstream America. They speak for a very large group of special interests. They speak for unions, illegal aliens, Gays, , La Raza, the New Black Panthers, the NAACP, The Congressional Black Caucus, radical environmentalists, the ACLU, SEIU, ACORN, the Communist Party, every special interest you can think of they support. They only control a small portion of the land-mass of the united states but they think they run the place. So how can they say they're mainstream and conservatives are radical???

Tell me I'm wrong.

This is something that has baffled me constantly. The mainstream media constantly parrots this line that a GOP candidate can't be too conservative because they need to be appealing to a larger portion of Americans, when it is the the exact opposite. From issues ranging from abortion to immigration, a clear majority of Americans are on the side of conservatism.

The Obama administration is governing against the will of the governed, especially on the issue of immigration. During Bush's presidency when the GOP establishment attempted to pass this supposed comprehensive immigration policy the will of the American people was demonstrated abundantly clear. What America needs is a candidate that can articulate the conservative position unapologetically and decisively. It will resonate and it is what people are yearning for right now.

Chris Mathews said awhile ago that America is essentially a conservative country. A rare moment of honesty, and a constant source of resentment from the left.

So your point is that it's the liberals that are the problem, and the conservatives are the solution and the ones that truly represent Americans?

Isn't that just a generic political argument?

Are conservatives free from special interests, or will you call the conservatives that aren't liberals?

No, his point is that liberals lie when they portray conservatism as a "far right extremist" platform.

They try to portray the MAJORITY OF AMERICANS as radicals..when they themselves are the radicals and the extremists.

This is how the left marginalizes the right and claims the right is full of radicals:

Conservatives can’t be mainstream because it is liberals who speak for the American people. The fact that 41 percent of Americans identify themselves as conservative and only 21 percent as liberal doesn’t matter—liberals are the guardians of the genuine interests of the American people. In the liberal imagination, the political spectrum consists of left, center, right, and far right. Liberals simply define the center as somewhere near where they are and consign vast swaths of the electorate to a place outside polite society called the far right.

What do they site as their proof? The left says they stand for the working man. They support higher wages by supporting increases in the minimum wage and by supporting minorities through government mandates. They pander to their special interests. The latest is through diversity hiring inside the Department of Defense and other agencies. Thousands of employees are being retired and let go, enough so that the gains in the private sector has been cancelled out to obtain a net gain in jobs of zero.

Obama has also decided to go around Congress and essentially grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

The fact is Liberals don't speak for mainstream America. They speak for a very large group of special interests. They speak for unions, illegal aliens, Gays, , La Raza, the New Black Panthers, the NAACP, The Congressional Black Caucus, radical environmentalists, the ACLU, SEIU, ACORN, the Communist Party, every special interest you can think of they support. They only control a small portion of the land-mass of the united states but they think they run the place. So how can they say they're mainstream and conservatives are radical???

Tell me I'm wrong.

When did the left ever start speaking for the working man. If you ask most working men you would find that they think the left wants them to stop working. The left is opposed to a man making a living by the sweat of his brow.

I have never been able to understand where the left ever got the idea they speak for the majority of Americans. They really must be that arrogant.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Pretty Pathetic, yet Iron Clad control over Media and Perception, with few exceptions..

No, his point is that liberals lie when they portray conservatism as a "far right extremist" platform.

They try to portray the MAJORITY OF AMERICANS as radicals..when they themselves are the radicals and the extremists.

Again this is a generic argument with no real substance. Who's "they"? Liberals?

I don't do that. Could it be that it's more of an establishment issue as opposed to a particular political philosophy? I certainly seem to recall having the radical/extremist moniker thrown at me while protesting wars during the last administration.

Tell me I'm wrong.

ok your wrong, there i said it. I've already seen this argument before by Rabbi. It was stupid then and is stupid now.

Yep.

The majority of people in this country do not identify themselves as conservatives.

And you can see conservatives acknowledging that at every turn by their denigration of Democracy and efforts to squelch or completely squash the popular vote.

Again this is a generic argument with no real substance. Who's "they"? Liberals?

I don't do that. Could it be that it's more of an establishment issue as opposed to a particular political philosophy? I certainly seem to recall having the radical/extremist moniker thrown at me while protesting wars during the last administration.

Whatever. Your comment about other comments being too generic is itself too generic. And I don't do relativism. It's a cop out.

Yes, "they" are liberals, as you can tell from the structure of my comment. Sorry you have a hard time with specifics.

And just because YOU think it SHOULD be a more generic argument doesn't make it a generic argument to begin with.

Last edited:

Tell me I'm wrong.

ok your wrong, there i said it. I've already seen this argument before by Rabbi. It was stupid then and is stupid now.

Yep.

The majority of people in this country do not identify themselves as conservatives.

And you can see conservatives acknowledging that at every turn by their denigration of Democracy and efforts to squelch or completely squash the popular vote.

That has to be a record for arguing to a point that WAS NEVER MADE.

Whatever. Your comment about other comments being too generic is itself too generic. And I don't do relativism. It's a cop out.

Yes, "they" are liberals, as you can tell from the structure of my comment. Sorry you have a hard time with specifics.

And just because YOU think it SHOULD be a more generic argument doesn't make it a generic argument to begin with.

The moment you start identifying what they are they all of the sudden claim they aren't liberal.

They claim that every important person in our history is a liberal, from Jesus Christ to Abraham Lincoln, yet they claim they aren't one themselves.

But I was specific, I'm a liberal, and I don't do that...do you see how I provided something to further the discussion when all you give me is crap? Know what's a cop-out? Telling me that you "don't do relativism" and then proceeding to use it.

The moment you start identifying what they are they all of the sudden claim they aren't liberal.

They claim that every important person in our history is a liberal, from Jesus Christ to Abraham Lincoln, yet they claim they aren't one themselves.

I never said I wasn't a liberal...is this how you get most of your ideas, pulling them from the ether?

Yep.

I'd like to think that the vast majority dont align themselves with any party.
Here is the reality of today from what i see. Yes some are hardcore liberals and conservatives. You will always have that, but in todays day and age of instant media. People tend to be a little of everything.

It really depends on the issue. I've seen "conservatives" become liberal on one subject while Liberals become conservative on other issues.

Blanket statements dont really work that well anymore when you are talking in the context of the OP.

The best thing i have seen is people tend to be fiscally conservative, but socially liberal on issues. The people like their entitlements but what them run better. That right there proves they want it both ways.

What the OP is trying to do is take the hardcore 20-30% of either party and apply it to the whole of the nation.

Thats why the OP is a fail, and why they argument is quite stupid.

Being liberal or conservative doesn't mean you always vote for Democrats or the GOP.

Being liberal is not the same as being Democrat. Being conservative isn't all wrapped up in the GOP.

There are conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans.

That's why when you ask the question do you identify with being conservative or liberal most say conservative.

Tell me I'm wrong.

When did the left ever start speaking for the working man. If you ask most working men you would find that they think the left wants them to stop working. The left is opposed to a man making a living by the sweat of his brow.

I have never been able to understand where the left ever got the idea they speak for the majority of Americans. They really must be that arrogant.

O hai. By the left - do you mean the Democratic Farmer Labor party? THAT left??

But I was specific, I'm a liberal, and I don't do that...do you see how I provided something to further the discussion when all you give me is crap? Know what's a cop-out? Telling me that you "don't do relativism" and then proceeding to use it.

You didn't provide anything except vagaries and the assertiont that it's too "generic" to say that liberals do this (after being given specific examples) and insisting that it's only valid if applied to ALL political parties.

This is what makes you guys impossible. You make zero sense, and you don't even know it. You exemplify the exact thing you're bitching about.

I know you're a liberal, I could tell the minute you started mouthing your senseless gobbledygook.

Yep.

That has to be a record for arguing to a point that WAS NEVER MADE.

:lol:

So if it is a "liberal myth", why don't you point out where conservative views align with main stream America? I hear Gallup has polls...

I know most Americans don't want to decimate SS and Medicare as most of these Republican candidates want to do. All of 'em, in the last debate, said they would be unwilling to compromise with a 10 to 1 ratio of tax cuts to revenue increases. I doubt a majority of Americans would be okay with that...especially when an overwhelming majority of them DO want tax increases for the wealthiest Americans.

New Topics

Forum List

Back