Liberal judge in a liberal state: Dems new Congressional map is unconstitutional gerrymandering

Stormy Daniels

Gold Member
Mar 19, 2018
When it's too corrupt even for your own team, you know it's got to be bad.

The new districts — which were drawn by the Democratic-dominated legislature and passed over the veto of Republican Gov. Larry Hogan — could result in an 8-0 sweep for Democrats in the state in blue-leaning years. Seven districts in the state are solidly Democratic, while the lone Republican-held district in Maryland, the Eastern Shore seat currently occupied by GOP Rep. Andy Harris, was converted from a Republican vote sink into a hypercompetitive district. President Joe Biden carried the new version by less than a percentage point in 2020.

Maryland court strikes down congressional map as illegal Democratic gerrymander

The new districts — which were drawn by the Democratic-dominated legislature and passed over the veto of Republican Gov. Larry Hogan — could result in an 8-0 sweep for Democrats in the state in blue-leaning years. Seven districts in the state are solidly Democratic, while the lone Republican-held district in Maryland, the Eastern Shore seat currently occupied by GOP Rep. Andy Harris, was converted from a Republican vote sink into a hypercompetitive district. President Joe Biden carried the new version by less than a percentage point in 2020.

Alternatively one can think of it as a.judge simply applying the law impartially. I don't think partisanship has a bearing on it.

It would be nice if we could just assign districts at random. Here is one Idea I have.

Take the zip codes in a state and divide them into 10 groups by population. Population-rich states would have one system of grouping. States with mid-sized populations would have a different system. Rural states would have a third grouping. Anyway, all of the zip codes end up in one of the ten "bands"--lets call them categories A-J. IF you have 20 representatives, the election board takes a ping pong ball with a category A and assigns that zip code to district 1. The next ball goes to district 2 and so on until they reach 20 and then it starts all over again. After category A is done, Category B starts and the whole process starts over again with the next district to be assigned. When you're done, you'll have 20 districts with roughly the same population size and no gerrymandering. There are no district lines. So a representative from Arizona may have zip codes near the border, in downtown Phoenix, and the native American lands up by Utah.

It would be nice if we could just assign districts at random. Here is one Idea I have.

Take the zip codes in a state and divide them into 10 groups by population. Population-rich states would have one system of grouping. States with mid-sized populations would have a different system. Rural states would have a third grouping. Anyway, all of the zip codes end up in one of the ten "bands"--lets call them categories A-J. IF you have 20 representatives, the election board takes a ping pong ball with a category A and assigns that zip code to district 1. The next ball goes to district 2 and so on until they reach 20 and then it starts all over again. After category A is done, Category B starts and the whole process starts over again with the next district to be assigned. When you're done, you'll have 20 districts with roughly the same population size and no gerrymandering. There are no district lines. So a representative from Arizona may have zip codes near the border, in downtown Phoenix, and the native American lands up by Utah.

While the population should be evenly divided, it is important that representation be confined to one geographic area because you cannot properly represent a large diverse geography.

I want my representative to know my area and my problems. That’s not gonna happen if the district is spread across several states

While the population should be evenly divided, it is important that representation be confined to one geographic area because you cannot properly represent a large diverse geography.

They don't do that currently. Here is a district in Florida:
1648277962270.png
. Do you really think the people who drew the district did so with the intention you described?
I want my representative to know my area and my problems. That’s not gonna happen if the district is spread across several states
I imagine you meant regions, not states. The zip codes would be all in one state.

Is there anything keeping you from contacting your rep in the scenario I listed?

Districting is about more than the House of Representatives. Your solution would never work because districts for state legislatures, county wards, and municipal wards routinely and necessarily cut through zip codes. But kudos for thinking outside of the box.

District lines are being routinely turned over by the courts. They need drawn by computer.

Districting is about more than the House of Representatives. Your solution would never work because districts for state legislatures, county wards, and municipal wards routinely and necessarily cut through zip codes. But kudos for thinking outside of the box.
The solution I posited would only go for US House districts. State legislatures could adopt the same system if they wanted to. County and municipal wards are much smaller than congressional districts so that wouldn't apply.

District lines are being routinely turned over by the courts. They need drawn by computer.

Because the solution to every human problem is to just outsource it to computers so humans don't have to be bothered to do any thinking anymore and we can all just assume that the computer's solution is perfect.

This bullshit needs to end. There's nothing in our constitution requiring or even allowing for "proportional representation" on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, or condition.

Require the districts be drawn parallel to either lines of longitude or latitude giving the most equal representation for all as a whole.

Texas has gone through the redistricting battle many times.
The Democrats want race based congressional districts, but the USSC has ruled against them many times.
Race based congressional districts are unconstitutional.
Democrat Cultists don't understand this because they are racist assholes.

Forum List

Back