Liberal Christians

• Banned
Frankly, I hate to see Christ's teachings misused by the right wing. Coulter says liberalism is a godless religion, I think she's wrong.

There are liberal Christians. I just don't meet them on forums.

I'd like to meet you. I know you exist.

view.image

Working to Reduce Poverty in America - Catholic Charities USA

Frankly, I hate to see Christ's teachings misused by the right wing. Coulter says liberalism is a godless religion, I think she's wrong.

You first need to ground and reexamine your own findings Sky. Try finding a Neutral Plane that does not disturb what you are trying to study. Lose the Supposition. ;)

• Banned

You first need to ground and reexamine your own findings Sky. Try finding a Neutral Plane that does not disturb what you are trying to study. Lose the Supposition. ;)

I want to talk to Liberals who happen to be Christian.

Yes you do, you just insult them so they ignore you.

I want to talk to some LIBERAL Christians, not right wingers.

See what I mean?

I am more liberal than most liberals on this board. Yet, because I do not fit your definition of liberal, and because I am a Christian, you respond with insults.

Be here now. Do you want to talk now or not? Tell me about why you think you're a liberal.

I want to talk to some LIBERAL Christians, not right wingers.

See what I mean?

I am more liberal than most liberals on this board. Yet, because I do not fit your definition of liberal, and because I am a Christian, you respond with insults.

Be here now. Do you want to talk now or not? Tell me about why you think you're a liberal.

I do not think I am a liberal, I know you are not one.

Sky Dancer, it might help if you explain what you mean by "liberal." Since you're speaking of religion, you might mean religiously liberal, or you might mean politically liberal. Catholic Charities isn't religiously liberal, but it IS politically liberal, as in many ways is the whole Catholic Church.

What I mean by religiously liberal is non-authoritarian in terms of doctrine and spiritual practice. And having said that, I need to clarify that a church can be non-authoritarian in terms of its own hierarchy but still very authoritarian in terms of scripture interpretation and doctrine. A good example of that is the Southern Baptist Convention, which is decentralized and opposed to any sort of central authority, and also, atypically for Evangelicals, very firmly committed to separation of church and state, but also one of the most rigidly doctrinaire Christian sects in existence.

A liberal Christian church or individual tends to:

1. Reject the idea of Biblical inerrancy.
2. Place emphasis on love, good works, and personal experience of God rather than belief, obedience, or following rules.
3. Mean by "faith" something closer to "hope" than to "belief"
4. Think of non-Christian religions as alternate and equally-valid paths to God, rather than as heresies or infidelisms.
5. Not believe in Hell, and have a non-standard idea of Heaven.
6. Be more concerned with imitating Christ than with worshiping him.

Political liberalism, of course, means the things we commonly mean by the word on political discussion boards like this.

The two types of liberalism are quite distinct. As noted above, the Catholic Church is in some ways politically liberal. Its doctrine holds that society has a responsibility to take care of the poor and provide for its weakest members. It condemns greed as a deadly sin. It is highly skeptical of war, and condemns the aggressor in war. But it is about as far from religiously liberal as any Christian denomination in existence.

If you mean religious liberals, they do exist and can be pointed out to you. (I am not one, not because I'm not religiously liberal but because I'm not Christian.)

Sky Dancer, it might help if you explain what you mean by "liberal." Since you're speaking of religion, you might mean religiously liberal, or you might mean politically liberal. Catholic Charities isn't religiously liberal, but it IS politically liberal, as in many ways is the whole Catholic Church.

What I mean by religiously liberal is non-authoritarian in terms of doctrine and spiritual practice. And having said that, I need to clarify that a church can be non-authoritarian in terms of its own hierarchy but still very authoritarian in terms of scripture interpretation and doctrine. A good example of that is the Southern Baptist Convention, which is decentralized and opposed to any sort of central authority, and also, atypically for Evangelicals, very firmly committed to separation of church and state, but also one of the most rigidly doctrinaire Christian sects in existence.

A liberal Christian church or individual tends to:

1. Reject the idea of Biblical inerrancy.
2. Place emphasis on love, good works, and personal experience of God rather than belief, obedience, or following rules.
3. Mean by "faith" something closer to "hope" than to "belief"
4. Think of non-Christian religions as alternate and equally-valid paths to God, rather than as heresies or infidelisms.
5. Not believe in Hell, and have a non-standard idea of Heaven.
6. Be more concerned with imitating Christ than with worshiping him.

Political liberalism, of course, means the things we commonly mean by the word on political discussion boards like this.

The two types of liberalism are quite distinct. As noted above, the Catholic Church is in some ways politically liberal. Its doctrine holds that society has a responsibility to take care of the poor and provide for its weakest members. It condemns greed as a deadly sin. It is highly skeptical of war, and condemns the aggressor in war. But it is about as far from religiously liberal as any Christian denomination in existence.

If you mean religious liberals, they do exist and can be pointed out to you. (I am not one, not because I'm not religiously liberal but because I'm not Christian.)

I'm talking about political liberals who happen to be Christian.

Catholics are not liberal automatically. Many of them are conservative.

I'm also interested in talking to NON FUNDIES.

I'd like to meet you. I know you exist.

If you want to meet Liberal Christians, try Unity Churches or Unitarian / Universalists.

As far as on the message board, what do you mean by a Liberal Christian? And How Liberal? I mean, I'm a Christian but am very liberal on all the things that Michele Bachman and other whackjobs are Conservative about. On the other side, I'm very Conservative in the opposite direction of most of the things Bush & Obama have pulled in the last 10 years.

I do not think I am a liberal, I know you are not one.

I am definitely a liberal. You are not.

Liberals focus first on liberty and equal rights. They speak up even when someone who they hate is being persecuted or oppressed. Liberals follow the principles of the Age of Enlightenment, they believe that the government rules only by consent, and that individuals have fundamental rights to life, liberty, and property. Those are the core beliefs of liberals. They see different ways to get to those beliefs, so there is a broad spectrum of beliefs in liberalism, but if you do not hold those core beliefs, you are not a liberal.

I am closer to those core values that you are. Most conservatives on this board are closer to those core beliefs than you are. Like I said, I am closer to being a liberal than most liberals on this board, mostly because most liberals on this board are actually progressives.

New Topics

Forum List

Back