Liberal Campaign Damages Talk Radio

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
One could argue that conservatives themselves have damaged talk radio as liberals merely reacted.

There are plenty of people listening to talk radio. But over the past three years, it has become increasingly difficult to make money off it.

More than 50 million people in the U.S. tune in each week to news-talk radio stations that carry advertising, making it radio’s second-most popular format, behind country music, according to Nielsen.

But many national advertisers have fled from such stations in recent years, seeking to avoid associating their brands with potentially controversial programming. As a result, advertising on talk stations now costs about half what it does on music stations, given comparable audience metrics, according to industry executives.

Talk and news stations combined generated $1.5 billion in revenue in 2013, down from $1.6 billion in 2011, according to the latest numbers from media research firm BIA/Kelsey. Pure talk-station revenue fell to $205 million, from $217 million. The number of talk stations shrank to 510 from 546 over that time period, while the number of news stations increased by 150 to total 1,524. ...

The shift reflects more than younger listeners flocking to digital media. Radio executives said the erosion of ad dollars from talk stations was driven in part by a series of organized social-media campaigns by liberal activists in early 2012 that scared away advertisers.

The social-media campaigns followed remarks by conservative talk-radio personality Rush Limbaugh , who called a Georgetown University law student a “slut” on the air after she had testified to lawmakers that her school should provide birth-control coverage to students despite its Catholic affiliation. Mr. Limbaugh’s spokesman Brian Glicklich said his comments were made “in satire, and decontextualized from his larger point.”

While few blue-chip national brands advertised directly on politically charged shows like Mr. Limbaugh’s, the incident spooked many such companies from advertising on adjacent programming. ...​

Talk Radio s Advertising Problem - WSJ

decontextualized

43635-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-iOGX.gif

Sounds like the free market doing its thing :dunno:

Zackly. It's all about demography. When Lush Rimjob had is Flukegate meltdown one article quoted a radio program director saying "average age of the typical Limbaugh listener? Deceased". It always was designed for bitter old men. And misogynists.

On another note, the fact that country music, of all creatures, outsells talk radio is testament to the old adage "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

Too funny. If you've listened to talk radio at all in the last 10 years you can tell the ad revenue was drying up all along with the repetitive commercials for products no one wants.

How funny to blame it on liberals.

I miss the days of my youth when the fairness doctrine guaranteed that radio acted to present a variety of opinions in order to serve the public good.

It shouldn't simply act as a mouthpiece for the conglomerates that own the licences.

I miss the days of my youth when the fairness doctrine guaranteed that radio acted to present a variety of opinions in order to serve the public good.

It shouldn't simply act as a mouthpiece for the conglomerates that own the licences.

Interestingly it was the exact moment that the FD was thrown out that Rash Lumpbag began. Total coincidence I'm sure.

-- Which recalls another adage "be careful what you wish for"....

Forum List

Back