Libbyfornia: illegal alien becomes lawyer

God I hate California. You stupid fucking morons.

I will never again give you a single dime of my vacation dollars.

How ironic, he broke the law, yet has acquired a license to practice law. If I were Mr. Garcia, I would not be getting myself into the spotlight this way. INS officials now know who he is, and I'll bet they are filling out the paperwork as we speak for Mr. Garcia's deportation order.

If you read the story he is absolutely eligible for green card through his father, who is American citizen, he can not get it fast because of the extremely long lines and snail pace of the DHS.

Garcia, 36, worked in the fields and at a grocery store before attending community college. He became a paralegal, went to law school and passed the bar on his first try. He applied for citizenship in 1994, and is still working toward that goal.

You should not have to wait in line for almost 20 years to adjust your status, especially since he applied BEFORE the last immigration law was passed.

He should never been allowed in school. If I snuck into Canada they would not allow me to attend university there

Although his father may indeed be an American citizen (I could not find the reference in the story), the fact remains that Mr.Garcia currently has no legal status.

Not sure if Obama's amnesty for children would apply here as the man is 36 and has been in the country for 20 years.

So the rules don't apply to him then since it would take a long time to do the right thing?

the rules can be changed and were by Supreme Court of his state. Would DHS move faster ( and the pace IS ridiculous) - there won't be a story and a precedent.

Blame the government, not the guy. The guy did everything just perfect. He is doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Although his father may indeed be an American citizen (I could not find the reference in the story), the fact remains that Mr.Garcia currently has no legal status.

Not sure if Obama's amnesty for children would apply here as the man is 36 and has been in the country for 20 years.

It does not matter. Actually he does not have adjusted status, but he is NOT illegal. By the law of this country if your case is taken by INS( then) or DHS ( now) until you receive a negative decision on your case you change your status from illegal to undecided and actually can not be deported. It is not yet legal but an ambiguous in-between.

I read on the story before and it was listed there his father is a naturalized citizen, who sponsored his son, but since the son was over 18 years old - his wait is so ridiculous. Before 18 it is quick.
He does not need amnesty - he can adjust his status by a current law and even by a previous one - and that is what he is doing, he is WAITING for the idiot bureaucracy to move along.

How ironic, he broke the law, yet has acquired a license to practice law. If I were Mr. Garcia, I would not be getting myself into the spotlight this way. INS officials now know who he is, and I'll bet they are filling out the paperwork as we speak for Mr. Garcia's deportation order.

More likely he'll be crowned a Mandella-like hero to the self-loathing American left.

More likely he'll be crowned a Mandella-like hero to the self-loathing American left.

I am not left by any means, but I think that painting everybody with the same brush does not produce sympathetic voters.

at least read the story - a guy who was picking up veggies or fruit( as a teenager) in order to make all the way to the law school and graduation is a classic example of a merit reward for hard work and does not deserve bitching from those who supposedly are the advocates for the hard work and pursuit of happiness.

If he was as smart as you claim he would have worked sooner to get his papers in order and not have gone to law school

It does not matter. Actually he does not have adjusted status, but he is NOT illegal. By the law of this country if your case is taken by INS( then) or DHS ( now) until you receive a negative decision on your case you change your status from illegal to undecided and actually can not be deported. It is not yet legal but an ambiguous in-between.

I read on the story before and it was listed there his father is a naturalized citizen, who sponsored his son, but since the son was over 18 years old - his wait is so ridiculous. Before 18 it is quick.
He does not need amnesty - he can adjust his status by a current law and even by a previous one - and that is what he is doing, he is WAITING for the idiot bureaucracy to move along.
When I lived in Oklahoma, I knew some folks from Ireland who were legally in the U.S. on various work visas, they applied for permanent resident status, and within 6 months, they acquired their green cards.

I guess it all depends on which state is processing the paperwork. The smart immigrants, those that actually plan to fill out the paperwork and not just sneak across the border likely analyze the wait times state by state before planning their move. Once they acquire legal status, they are free to move to another state.

Last edited:

Obama broke the law, got a law license, and was elected President.

When I lived in Oklahoma, I knew some folks from Ireland who were legally in the U.S. on various work visas, they applied for permanent resident status, and within 6 months, they acquired their green cards.

I guess it all depends on which state is processing the paperwork. The smart immigrants, those that actually plan to fill out the paperwork and not just sneak across the border likely analyze the wait times state by state before planning their move. Once they acquire legal status, they are free to move to another state.

My parents got their green cards upon me applying for them in 4 months. But it was not in 1994.

Because the country we are from. Same is with Ireland. And the state matters as well - the wait in California or NY is longer than in Wyoming or Oklahoma.

My sister got her citizenship in 7 months, my paperwork was lost and I had almost a 2 year process, but both my parents got theirs in 90 days !!!.
The citizenship depends on the year of application and the state you live in. The adjustment of status, though ( green card application) depends on the country you are from the most, but state matters as well.
Mexico, China, India and Philippines are THE WORST countries to be from if you need your adjustment of status to proceed.
The category of applicant is also important - the child under 18 gets the fastest approval, the spouse and parents go second, children after 18, siblings and all others - even after. And their wait might be very, very long.

This man is from Mexico. So he was screwed by the waiting times from the beginning.

so it is not as black and white as one might think.

Last edited:
So the rules don't apply to him then since it would take a long time to do the right thing?

the rules can be changed and were by Supreme Court of his state. Would DHS move faster ( and the pace IS ridiculous) - there won't be a story and a precedent.

Blame the government, not the guy. The guy did everything just perfect. He is doing the right thing.

I agree. He is exactly the kind of person we want immigrating to our country, smart and professional.

Forum List

Back