Lever actions rifles for self defense

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
I know many people on here are enamored of the AR rifles. But in many places there is so much regulation and/or bans that looking for an alternative long gun makes since.

Positives:
1) Come in variety of calibers, including some hard hitting thumpers.
2) Specialty ammo, such as ratshot loads, work just fine in a lever gun.
3) Magazine capacity beats most rifles that don't have a detachable magazine.
4) Can be reloaded without taking the rifles out of readiness.
5) Accurate enough out to 100 yards (more with the newer ammo available).
6) Durable in all conditions. They usually have very strong actions.
7) Misfire or jams are easily cleared.
8) Less likely to cause legal problems or interference from law enforcement.

Negatives:
1) Reloading is slower
2) Firing accurately is slightly slower
3) Lower magazine capacity than modern semi-autos.
4) Not as accurate at greater distances (although I'm not sure this is a big deal for home defense).

I owned an AR some years ago. I built it as a coyote gun. It did the trick wonderfully. And it was fun to shoot. But, being raised watching westerns, I have always loved shooting a lever gun. I only own 2 semi auto rifles. I have a Springfield M1A and a Ruger 10/22. The M1A is a great gun and as accurate as I can take advantage of, for sure. But it is 3.5 inches shy of being 4 feet long (44.33") and weighs over 9 lbs empty. My Marlin 1894 is only 38.5 inches long and weighs 6.5 lbs. It holds 10 rounds of .44 Rem Magnum. Now, if I were on a battlefield, the M1A would be my first choice. But in the house, the Marlin wins for the rifles. I own 3 lever guns. And I would trade any of them.

Chuck_Connors_The_Rifleman_1959.JPG

I know many people on here are enamored of the AR rifles. But in many places there is so much regulation and/or bans that looking for an alternative long gun makes since.

Positives:

Negatives:
1) Reloading is slower
4) Not as accurate at greater distances (although I'm not sure this is a big deal for home defense).

I owned an AR some years ago. I built it as a coyote gun. It did the trick wonderfully. And it was fun to shoot. But, being raised watching westerns, I have always loved shooting a lever gun. I only own 2 semi auto rifles. I have a Springfield M1A and a Ruger 10/22. The M1A is a great gun and as accurate as I can take advantage of, for sure. But it is 3.5 inches shy of being 4 feet long (44.33") and weighs over 9 lbs empty. My Marlin 1894 is only 38.5 inches long and weighs 6.5 lbs. It holds 10 rounds of .44 Rem Magnum. Now, if I were on a battlefield, the M1A would be my first choice. But in the house, the Marlin wins for the rifles. I own 3 lever guns. And I would trade any of them.

a cowboy assault rifle is a good choice,,,but a mini 14 will do just fine and is more reliable than an AR

This is my lever-action "home defense" rifle. Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

Haven't figured out how to mount a bayonet on the end though..

marlin%20336_9b.jpg

9) Chambered in revolver cartridges simplifying carrying a sidearm.

“The M1A is a great gun and as accurate as I can take advantage of, for sure. But it is 3.5 inches shy of being 4 feet long (44.33") and weighs over 9 lbs empty.”

Which is why I opted for the 16” SOCOM.

marlin%20336_9b.jpg

duct tape always works,,,

All joking aside, the best home-defense weapon should be able to take a bayonet. If you notice, most rifles in he AR platform still have the bayonet lug on them. Not all, but most. I keep one handy for my AK because nothing says "FUCKYOU" more than a pointy-stabby thing on the end of a shooty thing.

marlin%20336_9b.jpg

All joking aside, the best home-defense weapon should be able to take a bayonet. If you notice, most rifles in he AR platform still have the bayonet lug on them. Not all, but most. I keep one handy for my AK because nothing says "FUCKYOU" more than a pointy-stabby thing on the end of a shooty thing.

“The M1A is a great gun and as accurate as I can take advantage of, for sure. But it is 3.5 inches shy of being 4 feet long (44.33") and weighs over 9 lbs empty.”

You've never been within 500 yards of a gun of any kind.

marlin%20336_9b.jpg

the only problem is in home defense is being able to move around in the house with such a long weapon

Positives:

Negatives:
1) Reloading is slower

Screw that, if I'm carrying a long arm I'm carrying a tactical shotgun.

SKO Shorty 12 gauge

SKO_Shorty_Rough_Edit--17__29785.1510587720.jpg

DP-12 double barrel 12 gauge

DP-12-12-GA-DOUBLE-BARREL-PUMP-SHOTGUN-16-RDS-SPREADER-CHOKES-1.jpg

Positives:

Negatives:
1) Reloading is slower

Rifles as home defense are kinda a bad idea anyway. You're highly unlikely to be shooting over 20 feet or so, a long gun limits your indoor mobility, you've got to worry about overpenitration a lot more....

Get a good handgun.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old Winchester cowboy gun. I just don't think it's the right choice for home defense.

marlin%20336_9b.jpg

the only problem is in home defense is being able to move around in the house with such a long weapon

True, that's why my G19 and Surefire flashlight are always within reach. Of course, a pistol is only good for fighting your way to something heavier. And then there's the penetration problem. Jacketed 7.62x39 does tend to go through things easily.

Probably one of the best things you can do with any home-defense weapon, is to mount a light on it. But not one of those cheap airsoft lights that take AA or AAA batteries. Those won't hold up under the recoil. A good tactical light takes the CR123A or 14500 and 18650 rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Most lights use Cree LED's and some range in brightness as high as 1,000 lumens. Those tend to mess up your night vision so 300-400 lumens is best.

Last edited:

I bought mine used around 12 years ago. Very good price.

If there were no other options, yes, a lever-action would make a formidable self-defense weapon; 30-30 Win has similar ballistics to x39mm.

But I have other options.

My only problem is justifying the expense (Henry is the only way to go, imo) given how little I’d likely shoot the rifle; I have rifles I’m currently neglecting.

Forum List

Back