CDZ Lets Revise the Federal Holiday System

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
The Federalis should have six core holidays, the 4th, Presidents day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day and Veterans day, but have second tier optional holidays to celebrate if we want, and just put them all on the calendar.

Then have four swing days for using on any of the secondary holidays that we prefer, MLK, Juneteenth, Columbus, St Patricks, etc the more or less ethnic centered holidays would be these days..

So everyone gets a holiday for their ethnic group and we stick to only ten paid days off.

I collect rents on the first of the month, pay bills on the second ... that leaves me with 28 days paid vacation every month ... we have a name for the winners of the world ...

No labor day for the core holidays?
No, I wanted in principle to keep the core holidays to Federal significant days, and leave to optional days for people to choose.

Labor Day would seem to be more of a functional subgroup than a federally significant holiday that can be celebrated with three floating holidays if you want.

Am I coming across to you about this?

I can never tell.

The Federalis should have six core holidays, the 4th, Presidents day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day and Veterans day, but have second tier optional holidays to celebrate if we want, and just put them all on the calendar.

Then have four swing days for using on any of the secondary holidays that we prefer, MLK, Juneteenth, Columbus, St Patricks, etc the more or less ethnic centered holidays would be these days..

So everyone gets a holiday for their ethnic group and we stick to only ten paid days off.
If we are going to re-organize Federal holidays- with optional swing holidays(which I like the idea of)- I would go:
Core: July 4th, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Voting Day for Federal election officials.
Swing: (5 days) Christmas(while Christmas is mostly a secular holiday in the U.S., other faiths do honor other days- and Christmas is not a specifically American holiday), Veterans, Washington's birthday, Lincoln's b-day, etc.

/——/ And Festivis for the rest of us.

No labor day for the core holidays?
No, I wanted in principle to keep the core holidays to Federal significant days, and leave to optional days for people to choose.

Labor Day would seem to be more of a functional subgroup than a federally significant holiday that can be celebrated with three floating holidays if you want.

Am I coming across to you about this?

I can never tell.

I think I was just thrown a bit by you saying the swing holidays would be ethnic centered days. ;)

I could maybe see individual employers do this (although the odds are good someone would get pissy that a holiday they wanted wasn't included in the swing holidays), but I don't know how likely it would be to be embraced widely. :dunno:

I could maybe see individual employers do this (although the odds are good someone would get pissy that a holiday they wanted wasn't included in the swing holidays), but I don't know how likely it would be to be embraced widely. :dunno:
The advantage to doing this Federally is that we can have as many Federal holidays as we want to have, and managers can plan on significant calendar days where people can be expected to take time off.

This makes the holidays a managable quantity for those in charge of a work force that uses the Federal holiday system, which are quite a few even in the private sector.

Indeed! Let's go back to celebrating the solstices and equinoxes like civilized people. I mean, Easter. Seriously? Sure, throw in a couple of victory-by-the-troops days, and we're good to go.

President’s day is a joke. Just like the current president. Election Day should be a biannual holiday to encourage voting.

The idea of ethnic Holiday’s is idiotic

Why don't we get honest about the whole idea of holy days and just mandate one paid day off each month?

New Topics

Forum List

Back