Let's rename Black Friday

Thinker101

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2017
Jacobson asked students at the University of Florida if they would support changing the name of the day to something less offensive. Most students said yes.

“I’m cool with changing it,” one student said.

“I never saw it that way, but I don’t have that lived experience but if enough people think that it should be that way, then I don’t see a problem with it,” another student said.

“Black Friday sounds offensive,” one student said.

Ahh, to be young and dumb. What would be next? Eliminate black cars...or white cars? Get rid of white bread?

WATCH: Students want to rename ‘Black Friday', until they find out the name has nothing to do with race

Jacobson asked students at the University of Florida if they would support changing the name of the day to something less offensive. Most students said yes.

“I never saw it that way, but I don’t have that lived experience but if enough people think that it should be that way, then I don’t see a problem with it,” another student said.

Ahh, to be young and dumb. What would be next? Eliminate black cars...or white cars? Get rid of white bread?

WATCH: Students want to rename ‘Black Friday', until they find out the name has nothing to do with race

Latinx Friday?

Whats wrong with supporting the changing of something perceived as offensive? The question was presented in this manner. If you watch the video most of the people were talking about economics not confusing it with Black people.

LOL!!

black-crayon.png

Whats wrong with supporting the changing of something perceived as offensive? The question was presented in this manner. If you watch the video most of the people were talking about economics not confusing it with Black people.
Real question is "why change it"? It was so called because that is when retail stores were supposed to be in "the black" a good thing vs still in "the red" a bad thing.
It was never some kind of racial thing, no matter what the little dears thought.

Can we change the name oil away from "Black Gold"?

Can we rename black oil paint something less offensive, please? Thank you!

71erjlpGfuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Change it to "Smash And Grab Day".

The question asked of the students implied that it was offensive. Why offend someone when you don't have to?
Teacher was an idiot asking a trick question. Maybe he should have told them about Black Friday, first before making it sound prejudicial, then asked his question. Maybe the teacher flunk high school economics or skipped it in high school and college, who knows? It is kind of surprising, none of the kids knew what Black Friday was and where the name came from, nothing offensive about it.

There is the possible connotation that the first shopping day of the holiday season is being compared to Black Tuesday.

"Black Tuesday refers to Tuesday, October 29, 1929. It is one of several 'black' days in quick succession; they were 'black' because on those days the share prices on the New York Stock Exchange completely collapsed, becoming a pivotal factor in the emergence of the Great Depression."

It's funny that "Black Friday" would be used by retailers to denote any day during the most wonderful time of the year. It's always made the day(s) sound dreary.

Why on earth would black Friday be offensive. Mud colored people have no claim on the word "black," and black Friday has NOTHING to do with the mud people

Forum List

Back