‘Let’s get a drink’: "Scared" Dems confront prospect of a 2022 hurricane...Democratic leaders are just hoping to limit the damage at this point

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Dems are doomed, folks!

excerpts:

“Success looks like we hold the Senate and we hold the House, or we narrowly lose it, so if Republicans take control, it’s a razor-thin margin,” said Colmon Elridge, the chair of the Kentucky Democratic Party.

“I would hope [the Republican margin in the House] is less than 20,” he said

At the Charleston Marriott, where Democrats met for training, presentations and receptions, one state party chair called the midterm prospects “awful.” Another state party chair said, “I don’t see any way we keep the House.” And one strategist said, “If we’re in the 10 to 20 [loss of House seats] range, that will be better than we thought.”

“I’m scared,” said Peg Schaffer, vice chair of the Democratic Party in New Jersey, whose Democratic governor, Phil Murphy, won reelection this year, but by a far closer margin than expected. “We need to get the vote out, and in the midterms, it’s hard.”

In part, Democrats are suffering from bad timing, pinched between anxiety about next year and the sting of the off-year elections. It was just last month that Democrats saw Republicans over-perform expectations in New Jersey and win an upset in Virginia’s gubernatorial race. The results cast what Ken Martin, chair of Minnesota’s Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, acknowledged was a “shadow” over the meeting.

In a speech to the state party association, which he leads, Martin repeatedly urged Democrats to “stop agonizing.”

“Look, look, Democrats, midterms are never easy,” he said. “But none of us in this room are here today because the work is easy. We’re here because the work matters.”

“If we could get the Build Back Better plan passed and get a strong voting rights bill passed, Democrats will have a strong possibility of at least keeping the Senate,” said Hendrell Remus, chair of the Tennessee Democratic Party.

“It’s tough. It’s a tough reality," he said

“My goal is — even if it’s slim, if it’s by one — it’s keeping control of the House and adding at least one or two more to the United States Senate,” said Jaime Harrison, the chair of the Democratic National Committee, in an interview.

While acknowledging the historic precedent of the president’s party losing seats in midterms, Harrison said, “The economy’s going to come back and come back strong,” benefiting incumbent Democrats.

“The real challenge for us is the feeling from Covid,” he said. “Can people get to some sense of normalcy? I believe if people start feeling as if normalcy is coming back, I think Democrats are in a much, much better situation.”

Trav Robertson, the chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party, ripped into what he called “this negative, defeatist attitude coming from a group of Washington elites.”

“By God, we can make history and create our own fate,” he said. “How do you lose? You don’t get voting rights passed.”

If Democrats are able to muscle voting rights legislation through Congress and also pass Biden’s Build Back Better agenda — and if inflation and Covid come under control — one state party executive director said Democrats could at least maintain a sufficiently large minority in the House to “block bad things from happening.” Holding a narrow minority, one strategist said, would poise the party for a more competitive campaign in 2024.

But hardly anyone here was banking on it.

Asked about the party’s prospects next year, one state party’s executive director shook his head and said, “Let’s get a drink.”

Dems are doomed, folks!

excerpts:

“Success looks like we hold the Senate and we hold the House, or we narrowly lose it, so if Republicans take control, it’s a razor-thin margin,” said Colmon Elridge, the chair of the Kentucky Democratic Party.

“I would hope [the Republican margin in the House] is less than 20,” he said

At the Charleston Marriott, where Democrats met for training, presentations and receptions, one state party chair called the midterm prospects “awful.” Another state party chair said, “I don’t see any way we keep the House.” And one strategist said, “If we’re in the 10 to 20 [loss of House seats] range, that will be better than we thought.”

“I’m scared,” said Peg Schaffer, vice chair of the Democratic Party in New Jersey, whose Democratic governor, Phil Murphy, won reelection this year, but by a far closer margin than expected. “We need to get the vote out, and in the midterms, it’s hard.”

In part, Democrats are suffering from bad timing, pinched between anxiety about next year and the sting of the off-year elections. It was just last month that Democrats saw Republicans over-perform expectations in New Jersey and win an upset in Virginia’s gubernatorial race. The results cast what Ken Martin, chair of Minnesota’s Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, acknowledged was a “shadow” over the meeting.

In a speech to the state party association, which he leads, Martin repeatedly urged Democrats to “stop agonizing.”

“Look, look, Democrats, midterms are never easy,” he said. “But none of us in this room are here today because the work is easy. We’re here because the work matters.”

“If we could get the Build Back Better plan passed and get a strong voting rights bill passed, Democrats will have a strong possibility of at least keeping the Senate,” said Hendrell Remus, chair of the Tennessee Democratic Party.

“It’s tough. It’s a tough reality," he said

“My goal is — even if it’s slim, if it’s by one — it’s keeping control of the House and adding at least one or two more to the United States Senate,” said Jaime Harrison, the chair of the Democratic National Committee, in an interview.

While acknowledging the historic precedent of the president’s party losing seats in midterms, Harrison said, “The economy’s going to come back and come back strong,” benefiting incumbent Democrats.

“The real challenge for us is the feeling from Covid,” he said. “Can people get to some sense of normalcy? I believe if people start feeling as if normalcy is coming back, I think Democrats are in a much, much better situation.”

Trav Robertson, the chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party, ripped into what he called “this negative, defeatist attitude coming from a group of Washington elites.”

“By God, we can make history and create our own fate,” he said. “How do you lose? You don’t get voting rights passed.”

If Democrats are able to muscle voting rights legislation through Congress and also pass Biden’s Build Back Better agenda — and if inflation and Covid come under control — one state party executive director said Democrats could at least maintain a sufficiently large minority in the House to “block bad things from happening.” Holding a narrow minority, one strategist said, would poise the party for a more competitive campaign in 2024.

But hardly anyone here was banking on it.

Asked about the party’s prospects next year, one state party’s executive director shook his head and said, “Let’s get a drink.”
Ohhhhh Lord they are starting the Heist of 2022. I guarantee you. The cheating states will mail out 100 mail ins to each person.......you watch

Ohhhhh Lord they are starting the Heist of 2022. I guarantee you. The cheating states will mail out 100 mail ins to each person.......you watch
And here's the kicker if they win...the Prog voters like on here will see it as an endorsement of their agendas. Never learning.

And here's the kicker if they win...the Prog voters like on here will see it as an endorsement of their agendas. Never learning.
Yepper. However the no Bidenturd votes may be and probably are just too many. Not enough dead people to cover the odds

They'll be a few congress critters though win by fraud

Even with a nominal amount of election integrity the Dims are looking at a 70 seat beat down.

Then, the punishment phase needs to start.....
I'm voting to primary ANY Republican who refuses to give them some of their own, back. Impeach his senile ass and begin multiple investigations into him and his meth-head son.

Even with a nominal amount of election integrity the Dims are looking at a 70 seat beat down.

Then, the punishment phase needs to start.....

At 1st, I was of the same mindset you were; 70 seats minimum, was hoping for more. I then went to a local GOP meeting where they had a Washington think tank analyst who made the compelling case that all we could probably expect in a best case scenario is between 25 and 35. He then said immediately following, the Left will claim victory as they only lost that many.

Most, if not all of us there were really grumbling wondering where they got this yahoo from; the AOC/Pelosi Democratic think tank!

He then went on to explain, and it made absolute sense! As he said, and I will paraphrase-----------> Normally in midterms, you see massive swings because the party out of powers voters show en mass. So what you have is close seats being driven in the other direction. The majority changes from 25 to 30 one way, to 25 to 30 the other. But, what people need to take into account this year is...........that the Democrats were suppose to gain seats in the Presidential Election cycle, and instead lost massively. Since there are only so many swing districts available to flip, those seats have to be counted for 2022 as already secured. So, even if the GOP wins 100% of the swing districts in play in 2022, it still doesn't add up to a gain of 70 for this midterm! To get anywhere near 70, you would have to flip solid blue districts, and while surely possible, it probably isn't going to happen. He was direct in the fact that it is MORE likely we pick up 3 to 5 senate seats, then it is we pick up 60 to 70 House seats in this cycle.

Now don't shoot me. I am only the messenger of what made absolute sense.

Being on the wrong side of history in exchange for money and power is called corruption.

After the Democrats get slaughtered in November, the mantra around here will be..."The party in the White House always loses seats in the mid terms".

Forum List

Back