Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
That is what multiculturalism is about:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/italy/story/0,,1851875,00.html

Two charged with honour killing

Associated Press in Rome
Thursday August 17, 2006

Guardian
Italian police were searching yesterday for a man suspected of involvement in the killing of a Pakistani woman after her father and uncle were charged with slitting her throat because she dated an Italian man and refused to conform to an Islamic lifestyle.

Investigators believe the third suspect helped the father and uncle kill Hina Saleem, 21. The woman's body was found buried in the family's garden in Sarezzo on Saturday. Her father and uncle were taken into custody on Monday.

Investigators said they were looking into the theory that the grave was dug before the woman was killed. It is thought a long kitchen knife was used to slit her throat.

The Milan daily Corriere della Sera reported that the victim's father had applied for Italian citizenship two months ago. Applicants must convince authorities that they also embrace "fundamental" rights, including the right of a woman "to choose her own life", said the interior minister, Giuliano Amato.

News reports said the victim's family had been insisting on an arranged marriage with a cousin in Pakistan.

So long as those mores do not lead to, or advocate for, the harm of oneself or others, we should indeed be understanding and tolerant of them. But when they do lead to or advocate for such harm they should be immediately discarded for the rubbish they are.

Too many, on both sides of the argument fail to understand that distinction. Whiles others willinigly choose to ignore it and use it to fan the flames of xenophobia and racism.

So long as those mores do not lead to, or advocate for, the harm of oneself or others, we should indeed be understanding and tolerant of them. But when they do lead to or advocate for such harm they should be immediately discarded for the rubbish they are.

Too many, on both sides of the argument fail to understand that distinction. Whiles others willinigly choose to ignore it and use it to fan the flames of xenophobia and racism.

What's your point?

Who gets to define what's harmful to another person? Is Islams treatment of women just a cultural difference that should be tolerated as long as they don't slit their throats for not complying with that treatment? How about if they stoned her instead? That's an acceptable practice all over the Muslim world. Wanna see a video? I got plenty.

As far as harming oneself is concerned, that's really none of the states business unless you decide to take as many other people with you as you possibly can in defense of a philosophy that tells you it's an honor to do just that.

At what point do you stop blaming the individual people and start blaming the philosophy that breeds them in huge numbers everyday? How many dead will it take?

What's your point?

Who gets to define what's harmful to another person? Is Islams treatment of women just a cultural difference that should be tolerated as long as they don't slit their throats for not complying with that treatment? How about if they stoned her instead? That's an acceptable practice all over the Muslim world. Wanna see a video? I got plenty.

As far as harming oneself is concerned, that's really none of the states business unless you decide to take as many other people with you as you possibly can in defense of a philosophy that tells you it's an honor to do just that.

At what point do you stop blaming the individual people and start blaming the philosophy that breeds them in huge numbers everyday? How many dead will it take?

Any act which results in the physical or psychological harm of oneself or another...Not much for anyone to determine there.

The state may indeed have no vested concern in whether or not someone harms themselves...But often those willing to cause themselves harm have no compunction about harming others.

Individuals do bear a responsibility in this matter as they have a choice as to whether or not they follow a doctrine which leads to the harm of themselves or others.

In any case, what's your point?...Other than a diatribe against Islam?

Gee, I have a problem with 'honor killings', genital mutilation, and people that want to kill or support those who want to kill, anyone who doesn't agree with their culture or mores. I guess that is pretty limiting regarding xenophobia.

What's your point?

Here's the REAL pisser! No matter how ass-backwards their thinking, no matter how out-of-date their lifestyle, no matter how incomprehensible their conclusions, the Muslim's claim to "divine" guidance is just as legitimate as any other religion.

With that "legitimacy" driving them, I don't see an end to the problem short of annihilation.

Gee, I have a problem with 'honor killings', genital mutilation, and people that want to kill or support those who want to kill, anyone who doesn't agree with their culture or mores. I guess that is pretty limiting regarding xenophobia.

Reading Bullypit's post that you quoted, so does he (have a problem with those things)....

Let me say it again...with emphasis.

<blockquote>So long as those mores <b><i>do not lead to, or advocate for, the harm of oneself or others, we should indeed be understanding and tolerant of them.</b></i> But <b><i>when they do lead to or advocate for such harm they should be immediately discarded for the rubbish they are</b></i>.

Too many, on both sides of the argument fail to understand that distinction. While others willingly choose to ignore it and use it to fan the flames of xenophobia and racism.</blockquote>

So, "...'honor killings', genital mutilation, and people that want to kill or support those who want to kill, anyone who doesn't agree with their culture or mores..." all fall into that general category of actions that lead to or advocate for the harm of oneself or others. I was too mild in characterizing such values as 'rubbish' though. They are virulently toxic waste, and those who preach them must be stopped, regardless of race, creed or color. But so long as there are those willing to listen to their message of death, these hate mongerers will continue to thrive. Because, you see, regardless of what religion these monsters claim to follow or what doctrine they preach, they have only one creed...A hatred of life.

Here's the REAL pisser! No matter how ass-backwards their thinking, no matter how out-of-date their lifestyle, no matter how incomprehensible their conclusions, the Muslim's claim to "divine" guidance is just as legitimate as any other religion.

With that "legitimacy" driving them, I don't see an end to the problem short of annihilation.

Yep. When dealing with the subjective nature of religious experience and divine revelation...anyone can claim a direct pipeline to their favorite deity. Annhilation, however, is not an option. The rule of law...objective, empirically based law...is.

So then we go with annhilation?

So then we go with annhilation?

Unless the entire planet converts to Islam, which I don't consider an option, I'm afraid it's going to come down to they all die or mankind does. It appears the world isn't big enough for more than one religion.

Unless the entire planet converts to Islam, which I don't consider an option, I'm afraid it's going to come down to they all die or mankind does. It appears the world isn't big enough for more than one religion.

Last man standing. One would place their bets on the West, but would not be accounting for PC...

New Topics

Forum List

Back