Let us post.... audio

We may have found a temporary workaround, in the thread linked in post 1. We'll see if it keeps working...

Still would like a way to upload directly though.

If you have the basic MP3 recorder available you should be able to attach an MP3 file to a post. I've got all my solo style acoustic guitar on DVD as MP3 files. But I had to quit playing 6 or 8 years ago because of a hand tremor and it's all packed up. I'll try and post one.

This ONLY WORKS because it's not copyrighted. If you try to copy and post any copyrighted material under MSoft or Apple, it won't save it. I believe this should work if you own the files. Just use the Attach files button at the bottom of the editing window on USMB. norwegen

If you have the basic MP3 recorder available you should be able to attach an MP3 file to a post. I've got all my solo style acoustic guitar on DVD as MP3 files. But I had to quit playing 6 or 8 years ago because of a hand tremor and it's all packed up. I'll try and post one.

This ONLY WORKS because it's not copyrighted. If you try to copy and post any copyrighted material under MSoft or Apple, it won't save it. I believe this should work if you own the files. Just use the Attach files button at the bottom of the editing window on USMB. norwegen
I tried to convert my WAV files to MP3 on the VLC player, but it didn't work. I managed to post a recording in that thread, but I don't know why the volume is so low.

I tried to convert my WAV files to MP3 on the VLC player, but it didn't work. I managed to post a recording in that thread, but I don't know why the volume is so low.

WAV files might even work, tho I haven't tried. Levels are tricky. Because if the original WAV is stereo, you might get only one channel coming thru depending on your computer audio set-up. Always "peg the needle" a bit on recording. Better more than less.

I THINK you can download any attachments in USMB posts. I wouldn't advise doing this as a general practice, but you could play the same audio file on a better speaker/mixer system..

Ask santa for one of these next Christmas if you want to keep your best "takes" while you play..

Zoom H4n Pro 4-Input / 4-Track Portable Handy H4N PRO BLACK B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

This may be a tall order, I dunno. A very good idea went up today inviting audio posts --- music stuff we may have done at home.

Only trouble is, the site does not provide a way to do that. You can upload a video as an attachment but not an audio file.

How hard would it be to find a way to do this? Could be a whole new world.
In the meantime, can you just save your files on DropBox or MediaFire, then post the LINK with your post to where the file is saved and can be downloaded.

This may be a tall order, I dunno. A very good idea went up today inviting audio posts --- music stuff we may have done at home.

Only trouble is, the site does not provide a way to do that. You can upload a video as an attachment but not an audio file.

In the meantime, can you just save your files on DropBox or MediaFire, then post the LINK with your post to where the file is saved and can be downloaded.

I send files that way when it's a single recipient, or a few that I know like family. I don't know about the security of linking a Dropbox to the whole world when it's connected to my Dropbox account.

But as noted we did come up with a workaround in that Norwegen thread I linked in post 1, using a Romanian site that processes whatever you upload to a link, with no personal questions asked. It works for now although it would still be a nice feature to be able to do it directly from here. Several folks have posted audio over there via that method.

Thank you for the suggestion Emily. Helpful spirit as always.

Last edited:

I've tried that in the past -- there is only the option of uploading a video, which doesn't recognize audio (or at least mp3) files. I can upload a video but not a sound file.

Not sure what you mean by "only works if it's not copyrighted". I'm pretty sure software on either end doesn't know if something is copyrighted unless it's in the metadata.

WAV files might even work, tho I haven't tried. Levels are tricky. Because if the original WAV is stereo, you might get only one channel coming thru depending on your computer audio set-up. Always "peg the needle" a bit on recording. Better more than less.

I THINK you can download any attachments in USMB posts. I wouldn't advise doing this as a general practice, but you could play the same audio file on a better speaker/mixer system..

OK as a professional recording engineer I have to fix this to .... NEVER peg the needle with digital recording. You can't fix it. Err on the side of less, not on the side of more. It's like salt --- you can always add more but you can't add less. Once digital clipping is in there it's ruined.

I wouldn't advise using WAV format for this purpose, that's overkill and taxes servers.

You could first post it on some place like youtube then put it as a link.

You could first post it on some place like youtube then put it as a link.

One can always do that, but that's a whole 'nother level of work, plus YT requires some kind of image to go with it, plus the copyright police if one has their own version of somebody else's work.

We did establish a workaround as posted above, for now, but the original thought was to have some method to upload an audio file directly the same way we can already upload a video, without jumping through extra hoops. That we have the latter without the former also says something unfortunate about our collective values.

Forum List

Back