Let us never forget... Have some already?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Very sad, but that's the truth. Many people have already forgotten what happened 5 years ago today. When NYC was attacked, the entire nation froze as one and watched the events unfold as one. We were all horrified when the towers fell and we were all shell shocked when we found out 4 planes were involved. The nation gathered as one to lend a hand to NYC in its aftermath. We stood as one while we watched Giuliani give his daily updates on the search for survivors, and the progress of NYC as a whole. We didn't care if he was a republican or a democrat, but we all watched George Bush to see how our nation would respond. Whether liberal, conservative or moderate, all members of congress stood together to sing 'God Bless America'.

There was no bickering. The American flags waved everywhere. In the face of the worst attacks the United States has ever seen, the entire nation appeared to have risen up to not only assist those in need but to also show the world that we refuse to bow to terror.

Or was I blind to what I witnessed just a few short years ago?

Fighting and lawsuits over money donated to the victims and their loved ones, psychopaths who claimed they had non-existent loved ones there in order to cash in, arguing over memorials, claims of government involvement, using 9/11 for political gain, the blame game, lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits...

Living in NY, I get to read all the local and state wide stories, day after day. Somehow, it always ends up being about money. Memorials, statues, plaques... All comes down to money. Is this how we should remember those that perished on 9/11? I understand people will want different memorials, but be reasonable and allow these to be constructed and allow people to mourn and remember their loved ones in a respectable manner. Don't make every last detail turn into a circus for the media.

Do people really even think about the individuals themselves anymore? Or is it just about who can be heard the loudest? Those I respect the most are the quietest of individuals who lay flowers and a wreath and walk away. That's why it's called "Showing your repect".

Anyone found trying to scam and/or profit from these events should be killed immediately, without a proper trial.

This isn't about politics. It's about a few muslim extremists who came to the United States and murdered nearly 3,000 of our fellow citizens. Those men who planned, aided and assisted, donated or funded, or who even believe in the same approach, all need to be exterminated. I don't need a politician to tell me if that is right or wrong. I don't care if it's a democrat or republican who authorizes the General to rev up the engines.

Now I understand there are many, too many to list probably, who lost loved ones or who were injured that day. I do believe they deserve assistance, whether physical or monetary, to move on with their lives. But, there seem to be hundreds of new lawsuits daily from people all across the east coast. Everyone has suffered in some way but some feel their suffering means they hit the lottery. If you were directly involved, or a loved one directly involved, then beat it.

My intent isn't political, but rather to provoke thought between now and then. Why such a dramatic change? Why did so many want to give and assist and now so many just want to take? Seems to me like any remember the day but have forgotten the people and the worlds reactions.

Very sad, but that's the truth. Many people have already forgotten what happened 5 years ago today. When NYC was attacked, the entire nation froze as one and watched the events unfold as one. We were all horrified when the towers fell and we were all shell shocked when we found out 4 planes were involved. The nation gathered as one to lend a hand to NYC in its aftermath. We stood as one while we watched Giuliani give his daily updates on the search for survivors, and the progress of NYC as a whole. We didn't care if he was a republican or a democrat, but we all watched George Bush to see how our nation would respond. Whether liberal, conservative or moderate, all members of congress stood together to sing 'God Bless America'.

There was no bickering. The American flags waved everywhere. In the face of the worst attacks the United States has ever seen, the entire nation appeared to have risen up to not only assist those in need but to also show the world that we refuse to bow to terror.

Fighting and lawsuits over money donated to the victims and their loved ones, psychopaths who claimed they had non-existent loved ones there in order to cash in, arguing over memorials, claims of government involvement, using 9/11 for political gain, the blame game, lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits...

Living in NY, I get to read all the local and state wide stories, day after day. Somehow, it always ends up being about money. Memorials, statues, plaques... All comes down to money. Is this how we should remember those that perished on 9/11? I understand people will want different memorials, but be reasonable and allow these to be constructed and allow people to mourn and remember their loved ones in a respectable manner. Don't make every last detail turn into a circus for the media.

Do people really even think about the individuals themselves anymore? Or is it just about who can be heard the loudest? Those I respect the most are the quietest of individuals who lay flowers and a wreath and walk away. That's why it's called "Showing your repect".

Anyone found trying to scam and/or profit from these events should be killed immediately, without a proper trial.

This isn't about politics. It's about a few muslim extremists who came to the United States and murdered nearly 3,000 of our fellow citizens. Those men who planned, aided and assisted, donated or funded, or who even believe in the same approach, all need to be exterminated. I don't need a politician to tell me if that is right or wrong. I don't care if it's a democrat or republican who authorizes the General to rev up the engines.

Now I understand there are many, too many to list probably, who lost loved ones or who were injured that day. I do believe they deserve assistance, whether physical or monetary, to move on with their lives. But, there seem to be hundreds of new lawsuits daily from people all across the east coast. Everyone has suffered in some way but some feel their suffering means they hit the lottery. If you were directly involved, or a loved one directly involved, then beat it.

My intent isn't political, but rather to provoke thought between now and then. Why such a dramatic change? Why did so many want to give and assist and now so many just want to take? Seems to me like any remember the day but have forgotten the people and the worlds reactions.

Thanks for the words and thoughts :salute:

You seem to have forgotten your way during the post. You were right the first time: we need to be thinking about the thousands that lost their lives that morning.

Today is not about 19 hijackers or about seeking revenge. Today is a day to mourn the loss of those who died simply because they showed up for work.

Today is not about 19 hijackers or about seeking revenge. Today is a day to mourn the loss of those who died simply because they showed up for work.

Those two aspects are forever joined. Muslims killed 3000 of our people in the name of their faith that day.

They aren't dead because they showed up for work. It's true that if they hadn't come to work, they'd be alive, but the reaseon they're dead is because a bunch of psychopaths who hate us more than I could love any woman crashed planes into their offices. That's the plain and dirty truth. It's not pleasant. It's not pretty. It's not profound. It's horrifying, but such is the nature of our enemy. More and more I see the disconnect between the deaths of those people and what caused them. Those people didn't die by showing up to work any more than Kennedy died by campaigning in Texas. No, those people died because bad men killed them, and they weren't even the worst out there.

Yet, in the wake of this attack by the most vicious of enemies we have ever faced, we say nice, gentle things, like, "They died for nothing more than showing up for work," or worse excuses, such as, "The died because chimpy ignored the threat," but what we need to remember is that men killed them, and as bad as those men were, there are far worse, and we demostrate more every day that we not only lack to will to bring them a proper fight, but we lack to will to even call them what they are.

You seem to have forgotten your way during the post. You were right the first time: we need to be thinking about the thousands that lost their lives that morning.

Yes, today we mourn those who perished, and we do so BECAUSE of those extremists that committed these acts. I wish I could seperate the 2 but they are forever linked, as Darin has already stated.

As the old saying goes..."Money is the root of all evil"...Personally I get more out of watching my kids excell rather than what money buys!

The comments above should answer your question as to why we were united on that day and why it is "politicized" now. I think you'd find that most of us were undivided when it came to Afghanistan. The problem is what followed and that, by it's nature, gives rise to the type of divisions that you're talking about and any discussion on that subject is, by definition, political.

We were of one mind that day... nationally as well as internationally. Too bad we didn't use all that unity and good will.

Nicely said, Jim. I am afraid that we humans will always let each other down.

Speaking of money, I have been wondering about this for some time now, in light of 9-11 and Katrina: Have we now set a precedent that the government will lavishly reimburse survivors whenever a spouse or parent dies in some type of horrible accident? If so, how do we decide when we do and when we don't? What of a stay-at-home mom with several small children and little insurance, whose husband dies in a traffic accident. Is she not deserving of financial help?

Fyi, I have no axe to grind, and I do know someone who died that day working for Cantor Fitzgerald. He had three children and a third on the way. Just looking for opinions here.

Welcome to capitalism. Anything to make a buck you know?

The comments above should answer your question as to why we were united on that day and why it is "politicized" now. I think you'd find that most of us were undivided when it came to Afghanistan. The problem is what followed and that, by it's nature, gives rise to the type of divisions that you're talking about and any discussion on that subject is, by definition, political.

We were of one mind that day... nationally as well as internationally. Too bad we didn't use all that unity and good will.

I disagree with your premise, though Den Beste says it much better than I could:

http://www.chicagoboyz.net/archives/004407.html

September 11, 2006
The Disunited States of America

Steven Den Beste

Dean Barnett writes movingly about his personal experience on 9/11/2001. And he concludes with this:

IT HAS BECOME A TRITE LAMENT that 9/11 brought us together, and it’s a shame that since then we’ve come apart. But 9/11 brought us together because of two transitory emotions – sadness and rage. Once those emotions calmed down, once our open wounds turned into scars, it was inevitable that our differences would resurface.

When the flags came out in the aftermath of 9/11, they didn’t signify a consensus on where we would go from there. They symbolized a consensus that we were all in pain, all anguished. When the time came to move on, disagreements inevitably (and not improperly) came regarding exactly how we should move on.

Even though a thorough review of 9/11, including both its lead-up and aftermath, won’t provide an obvious path forward that everyone will agree on, there are some valuable lessons we can draw from that awful day. Looking back, we can clearly see the remorseless murderers that our enemies are – that knowledge is instructive. And we can also see that they are numerous. That, too, is important to take into account.

But the most important lesson we can take from 9/11 is this: We must take every possible step to ensure never again. Never again will we allow ourselves to feel the way we did that day. Never again will we be so blind to storm clouds as they gather. Never again will we choose to believe comforting lies rather than disquieting truths.
9/11 didn't bring us together. It's true that in the immediate aftermath of the event that we all felt sadness and rage. But not about the same things.

Some of us felt sadness at the terrible loss of lives in New York and Washington and Pennsylvania, and rage at the killers.

Others felt sadness at the terrible loss of life amongst those killed by America and its puppets over the decades, in South America and "Palestine" and Viet Nam, and rage at the blind self-centered Americans who had stood by without caring.

We were all anguished. Some of us were anguished because we feared that there might be further and more devastating terrorist attacks against us. Others were anguished because they feared that this might inspire an entirely new round of bloody military aggression by America against innocent people around the world, and conversion of America into a police state.

We all saw clearly. But some of us were looking in a different direction. Some of us clearly saw the remorseless and ruthless murderers behind the attack, and knew that they were our mortal enemies who would attack us again if they possibly could, no matter what we did. Others were looking inward, and saw what they viewed as an ugly need for revenge amongst Americans.

We all vowed never again. Some of us vowed that we would do whatever it took to make sure that the terrorists didn't strike us again. Others vowed that they would do whatever it took to make America stop doing all the evil things that had inspired the attack in the first place.

The only consensus on 9/11 was that a terrible tragedy had occurred. There was no consensus as to who was truly responsible. And that is why within hours we began to hear, "Ask yourselves why they hate you." They knew that America had brought this onto itself; deep down they knew that we deserved it.

We all knew that reform was needed. Some of us thought it was the Arab/Islamic world which needed to reform. Others knew, deep down, that America was the true problem. To try to force reform onto the Arab world would be to renew the very mistakes which had caused the attack in the first place. And to even make the attempt would inspire more and more young Arab men to become terrorists against us, increasing the danger to us.

Some of us felt that the "root cause" of this war was Arab failure, and Arab shame at their failure. The others knew that the "root cause" was American failure, and America's refusal to feel shame at its failure.

We were not united on 9/11 and we have not been united on any day since. But that is not a weakness. If the people of America are ever 100% united on anything whatever, I will know that the country I love has died.
September 11, 2006 12:44 AM

I have mentioned this before, but here in the northeast, I saw an apartment building owner on TV who refused to let tenants fly the American flag on the property right after 9-11. Her reason? She didn't want to look like she was "taking sides"! For some, it is always about politics.

Speaking of money, I have been wondering about this for some time now, in light of 9-11 and Katrina: Have we now set a precedent that the government will lavishly reimburse survivors whenever a spouse or parent dies in some type of horrible accident? If so, how do we decide when we do and when we don't? What of a stay-at-home mom with several small children and little insurance, whose husband dies in a traffic accident. Is she not deserving of financial help?

Fyi, I have no axe to grind, and I do know someone who died that day working for Cantor Fitzgerald. He had three children and a third on the way. Just looking for opinions here.

Never thought of that but it's an excellent question. Normally I would instantly say NO but I don't seem to have an issue with it when it comes to 9/11. Maybe because it was so horrific? That's why we have life insurance, so our loved ones have protection should something happen to us.

When I read what you wrote about the stay-at-home mom, I immediately thought she deserved assistance too!

I guess I'm no good for this job. I think the money should be limited but I'll be a sucker for every sad story!

They aren't dead because they showed up for work. It's true that if they hadn't come to work, they'd be alive, but the reaseon they're dead is because a bunch of psychopaths who hate us more than I could love any woman crashed planes into their offices. That's the plain and dirty truth. It's not pleasant. It's not pretty. It's not profound. It's horrifying, but such is the nature of our enemy. More and more I see the disconnect between the deaths of those people and what caused them. Those people didn't die by showing up to work any more than Kennedy died by campaigning in Texas. No, those people died because bad men killed them, and they weren't even the worst out there.

Yet, in the wake of this attack by the most vicious of enemies we have ever faced, we say nice, gentle things, like, "They died for nothing more than showing up for work," or worse excuses, such as, "The died because chimpy ignored the threat," but what we need to remember is that men killed them, and as bad as those men were, there are far worse, and we demostrate more every day that we not only lack to will to bring them a proper fight, but we lack to will to even call them what they are.

They arent psychopaths. They are evil. Psychopaths dont have a choice for what they do. They cant help it. These men chose to commit mass homicide. nothing psycho about that, just evil.

You kidding? Democrats began playing political games before we even went into Aghanistan. They've been b****ing and moaning about the war on terror since in every aspect. I think we are still waiting for someone to tell us which part of the war on terror Democrats actually support.

To pretend we were actually united is a joke. More were, but the Democrat leadership never was. They were seething that President Bush looked so good. They didnt care about the fact that people actually died. They just cared and were worried that President Bush was getting all the credit for the reaction. And you know what, I think its 911 even more than the Florida election that makes liberals hate President Bush so passionately.

You kidding? Democrats began playing political games before we even went into Aghanistan. They've been b****ing and moaning about the war on terror since in every aspect. I think we are still waiting for someone to tell us which part of the war on terror Democrats actually support.

To pretend we were actually united is a joke. More were, but the Democrat leadership never was. They were seething that President Bush looked so good. They didnt care about the fact that people actually died. They just cared and were worried that President Bush was getting all the credit for the reaction. And you know what, I think its 911 even more than the Florida election that makes liberals hate President Bush so passionately.

I think you're too far gone, dude. Stop drinking the kool aid, it's distorted your entire sense of reality.

I think you're too far gone, dude. Stop drinking the kool aid, it's distorted your entire sense of reality.

I disagree, and agree with avatar. This started with Gore's failed attempt to steal an election through the courts he couldn't win at the polls. The accusations and name-calling began there.

It merely went on hiatus 9-1-1 because most Americans were outraged and wanted some payback. The ones who were not swayed by even that tragedy were NOT conservatives. The accusations began then with Peter Jennings' smartass comment about the President not making a beeline for DC the second he heard what had happened, never mind the truth that under such circumstances, the Secret Service, not the President dictates his itinerary.

It wasn't even a week before I saw my first "Bush was behind 9-1-1" thread on a message board.

When Bush decided to invade Iraq and remove Saddam from power, that was INDEED a milestone. You libs closed ranks and ratcheted up the incessant namecalling and accusations to the whiney, intolerable level and have kept them there ever since.

My opinion is that nobody who died on 9/11 deserved a dime of the governments money.

Forum List

Back