Lesser Known War Movies

I personally do not like to watch battle scenes but do enjoy books and movies about war, the motivations, planning, effect on non-combats, and changes that result from war. Wars are terrible but they change the course of human history being good some and bad for others.
For example, I found the movie Darkest Hour which followed Churchill's efforts to prepare England for a war that seemed to be unwinnable very interesting and inspiring. Also the movie, Best Years of Our Lives which traces the lives of soldier returning home from war was both entertaining and a glimpse of history that has been long forgotten.
Don't keep calling me back if you don't want to hear my contribution to this thread.
I have something to say about Neville Chamberlain but that's off-topic here.

This is available on Youtube. Its very exciting.
A plane is shot down in the North Sea with top secret plans on board. We follow the rescue operation as they race against time to pick up the survivors. great cast and real tension. Michael Redgrave is one of those actors that create a positive image of England.
Saw this years ago but have forgotten it. I'll have to watch it on Youtube. Michael Redgrave and Dirk Bogarde are two of my favorite actors.

Don't keep calling me back if you don't want to hear my contribution to this thread.
I have something to say about Neville Chamberlain but that's off-topic here.
Considering how far off topic most threads become I really don't see your comments that far off topic. The idea of keeping threads on topic is to save time for those looking for comments on a specific topic. The OP can usually drag the thread back on topic by making on topic posts. If other posters prefer to stay off topic, the thread becomes wild and the OP can open another thread and start another discussion, so what about Neville Chamberlain.

Considering how far off topic most threads become I really don't see your comments that far off topic. The idea of keeping threads on topic is to save time for those looking for comments on a specific topic. The OP can usually drag the thread back on topic by making on topic posts. If other posters prefer to stay off topic, the thread becomes wild and the OP can open another thread and start another discussion, so what about Neville Chamberlain.
He's not the topic here. You'll have to find an appropriate place to ask the question.

Let's be honest about it. Every "War Movie" during 1939 and 1945 was a propaganda movie set up by Hollywood to raise money for the "War Effort" and/or to promote racial hatred mostly directed at the Yellow Race

Let's be honest about it. Every "War Movie" during 1939 and 1945 was a propaganda movie set up by Hollywood to raise money for the "War Effort" and/or to promote racial hatred mostly directed at the Yellow Race
Very true. The same thing was going on in Germany and England.

US propaganda during WWII didn't come just from the government. It came from everywhere in the US. Americans at home were deeply involved in the war, something that has never happens since then. There were 35 millions households during the war and 16 million men in uniform plus nearly half million women serving in some capacity. That means every other family in the country had a family member in uniform and to be in uniform then meant being at risk.

The government didn't need to tell Hollywood to produce war propaganda movies, there was a demand for them just as there was a demand for stories of American bravery in magazines, Sunday supplements and newsstands. Even non-war movies would usually have some reference to the war. For several years theaters would have intermissions to sell war bonds. Turn on the radio and you would likely hear the Andrew Sisters singing "Boogie Woogie Bubgle Boy", or Kay Kaiser singing "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" or Bing Crosby singing "I'll Be Seeing You", or maybe Vera Lynn singing "There’ll Be Bluebirds Over the White Cliffs of Dover."

In short, every segment of America society was producing war propaganda because there was a demand for it. The nation at home was into the war in a big way, something that will likely never happen again.

Last edited:
This is not a thread on movies like Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, A Bridge Too Far (all excellent, but well known) but this is a thread on lesser known war films. As someone who has watched many war movies and has studied WWII, I can think of three that immediately come to mind as excellent, lesser known films, that are so well done that even someone not interested in WWII would probably like them.

When Trumpets Fade

Came out in 1998, same year as SPR., and is actually a better film, in my opinion.

Saints and Soldiers

Proof that you don't need a huge budget to make an excellent film. I believe the director was Mormon and is based on the story of a Mormon sent to WWII. Not sure if based on a true story or not, but an excellent film regardless.

The Highest Honor

This film from the 80's is based on a true story of saboteurs , mainly Australian and British, captured by the Japanese. Powerful film.

There's a Russian movie about the German invasion in WW2 that's very good. Fortress of War.

You can watch the whole thing here:

Ah, I see Ringel05 already mentioned Fortress of War in post 9.

Very true. The same thing was going on in Germany and England.

US propaganda during WWII didn't come just from the government. It came from everywhere in the US. Americans at home were deeply involved in the war, something that has never happens since then. There were 35 millions households during the war and 16 million men in uniform plus nearly half million women serving in some capacity. That means every other family in the country had a family member in uniform and to be in uniform then meant being at risk.

The government didn't need to tell Hollywood to produce war propaganda movies, there was a demand for them just as there was a demand for stories of American bravery in magazines, Sunday supplements and newsstands. Even non-war movies would usually have some reference to the war. For several years theaters would have intermissions to sell war bonds. Turn on the radio and you would likely hear the Andrew Sisters singing "Boogie Woogie Bubgle Boy", or Kay Kaiser singing "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" or Bing Crosby singing "I'll Be Seeing You", or maybe Vera Lynn singing "There’ll Be Bluebirds Over the White Cliffs of Dover."

In short, every segment of America society was producing war propaganda because there was a demand for it. The nation at home was into the war in a big way, something that will likely never happen again.
Americans were still dealing with hardships of the Great Depression in the late 30's and even in the early 40's. Not many Americans were even aware of international issues until the "Day of Infamy" and even then they couldn't understand what was happening. Hollywood stepped in and characterized the Japanese as sub-human aggressors and Crosby and the Andrews Sisters shilled for Bond Drives. It's no secret (and nothing to be ashamed of) that Hollywood was the propaganda extension of the FDR administration,

Forum List

Back