Less poverty among seniors

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
LESS POVERTY AMONG SENIORS
And it is because of Social Security, Medicare, low income senior housing, food stamps and the Medicare prescription drug program. Not to mention energy assistance, rent rebate, sewer rebate. And they manage to save a little each month and help their adult children who are hurting because of the economy.

Paying into Social Security is taking personal responsibility and to take this away and put it in the hands of corrupt private organizations is abuse and fraud. I trust government to be there for my children before I trust any private organization who is in business for profit.

Don’t privatize my children’s Social Security and Medicare and destroy it. When people pay into social security they are taking “personal responsibility.”

Social Security and Elderly Poverty
Elderly poverty in the U.S. decreased dramatically during the twentieth century. Between 1960 and 1995, the official poverty rate of those aged 65 and above fell from 35 percent to 10 percent, and research has documented similarly steep declines dating back to at least 1939. While poverty was once far more prevalent among the elderly than among other age groups, today's elderly have a poverty rate similar to that of working-age adults and much lower than that of children.

Social Security is often mentioned as a likely contributor to the decline in elderly poverty. Enacted in 1935, the Social Security system experienced rapid benefit growth in the post-WWII era. In fact, there is a striking association between the rise in Social Security expenditures per capita and the decline in elderly poverty, as Figure 1 illustrates (with both series scaled to fit on the same figure).

Or maybe it's because, as a demographic group, seniors have earned, invested and saved more.

QUOTE]

Even if that was true, which it is not, even those who did not are living above poverty level if they have social security and medicare. It make all the differnce.
I am a senior who earned a good living as a social worker and a special ed teacher and living quiet well on social security and my mother was a teacher but she she did the same on social security. It is an exception to find a senior who earned and invested and are living of those investments. I know not one.
Social Security and Medicare has saved lives and extended the lives of the elderly. I want the same for my children who are paying in the program to benefit as I have. They have not been able to save and invest.

Last edited:
LESS POVERTY AMONG SENIORS
And it is because of Social Security, Medicare, low income senior housing, food stamps and the Medicare prescription drug program. Not to mention energy assistance, rent rebate, sewer rebate. And they manage to save a little each month and help their adult children who are hurting because of the economy.

Paying into Social Security is taking personal responsibility and to take this away and put it in the hands of corrupt private organizations is abuse and fraud. I trust government to be there for my children before I trust any private organization who is in business for profit.

Don’t privatize my children’s Social Security and Medicare and destroy it. When people pay into social security they are taking “personal responsibility.”

Elderly poverty in the U.S. decreased dramatically during the twentieth century. Between 1960 and 1995, the official poverty rate of those aged 65 and above fell from 35 percent to 10 percent, and research has documented similarly steep declines dating back to at least 1939. While poverty was once far more prevalent among the elderly than among other age groups, today's elderly have a poverty rate similar to that of working-age adults and much lower than that of children.

Social Security is often mentioned as a likely contributor to the decline in elderly poverty. Enacted in 1935, the Social Security system experienced rapid benefit growth in the post-WWII era. In fact, there is a striking association between the rise in Social Security expenditures per capita and the decline in elderly poverty, as Figure 1 illustrates (with both series scaled to fit on the same figure).

Your point? The problem is that social security is going to implode, period. There is not enough cash coming in anymore. If you want SS to continue then it needs to be fixed.

Further, the government that you trust so implicitly, is the only reason that SS is in trouble today. The cash that was forcibly taken was spent and no longer exists. No one wants SS to disappear. Calling for its privatization is not putting it into the hands of greedy businesses. It is putting it in your own hands and would prevent what congress has don't to destroy SS in the first place. It would give you the power and create GENERATIONAL wealth that would help the poor rather than what you are putting up as the grate success - keeping the elderly a hairs breath above the poverty line. It is idiocy to not want to take this good idea and make it better...

Forum List

Back