Legalize

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
I think that Marijuana should be legalized. It's such a waste of our government resorces to chase something that we clearly can not keep a cap on. They are doing it anyways. Tax it and get the hell out of my pocket.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070710...rijuana_col;_ylt=AntSkaEcRsS23QRD6US2tCtvaA8F

Big pot users, Canadians renew legalization fight

Tue Jul 10, 5:57 PM ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - A U.N. report showing Canadians use more marijuana than people in any other industrialized country is more evidence that the drug should be legalized, activists said on Tuesday.

The 2007 World Drug Report found that 16.8 percent of Canadians between 15 and 64 used marijuana, otherwise known as cannabis or pot, at least once in the past year, four times more than the global average of 3.8 percent.

That compared to an average 10.7 percent in North America and 5.6 percent in Europe, said the report, issued by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in late June.

"This shows people are more open about it. They don't see anything wrong with it," said Robin Ellins, whose shop in downtown Toronto sells products as diverse as cannabis lollipops and T-shirts made of hemp, as well as a wide range of smoking accessories.

Ellins said he and other activists have been trying to push the government to legalize marijuana smoking for years. He said the report adds fresh momentum to their campaign.

"Smoking marijuana is safer than drinking coffee and less harmful than alcohol and tobacco," he said.

Cannabis is the most commonly used illegal drug in the world with 160 million people using it at least once in 2005, the U.N. report said.

Papua New Guinea topped the marijuana list with 29.5 percent of the population using it, followed by Micronesia, Ghana, Zambia and Canada, according to the annual finding.

Canadian media report that the number of people arrested for smoking marijuana rose dramatically in several Canadian cities last year after the Conservatives took office and killed a bill to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana.

Laws on possession of marijuana in Canada are generally more relaxed than those in the United States.

I wouldn't disagree with making it legal, though I disagree that it's 'safe' than alcohol or smoking. Consider what they are doing with cigarettes, it won't be 'tax and forget' though.

Only the people who have smoked it should be allowed to say if it is safer than alcohol. And let me tell you it in fact is.

Marijuana will never impair someone the way that alcohol can. You cannot get poisened from smoking too much in a day. You can however die in a day from drinking too much. You cannot drive or function in any way shape or form when you are drunk. You can however after smoking. The only thing a smoker may do is get really hungry. You arent gonig to find a smoker out there beating his wife and kids because he is high. Alcoholics will do that on a daily basis.

Marijuana should be legal because it is a stone cold FACT that it is a safer drug than alcohol. The only reason it is illegal is because the govt doesnt think they can control it like Alcohol. It's all about money.

Alcohol is a much more serious problem than pot. I have not heard of pot ruining lives the way that alcohol does. The old thing about pot use leading to the use of other drugs does not seem to be true. If so, 75 percent (or more) of the University of California would be doing speed or heroin.

Pot is almost legal in California now. For example, all one needs to do in Santa Barbara is get medically certified (which is easy from what I am told) and then you can buy pot at the downtown "bud" store.

People are going to do pot whether it is legal or not. If it was legal, and very easily obtained, then perhaps more people would use it than now, and that would not be good. The best thing is to play with the neuro-chemical hand you were dealt. There is something fundamentally wrong if one always seeks to change the way his brain normally thinks and feels.

From the post that started this thread:

A U.N. report showing Canadians use more marijuana than people in any other industrialized country is more evidence that the drug should be legalized, activists said on Tuesday.

I think that this is a reason why it should not be legalized. In fact, it is probably a reason why anti pot sales laws should be rigorously enforced. Pot use dulls the mind and kills motivation. Ask anyone who uses a lot of pot and they will agree. I never met a brilliant university student who was getting a lot of work accomplished, and yet was smoking a lot of pot.

As I mentioned above: "Normal" people who seek to chemically change the way they think and feel have some fundamental psychological problem. Rather than smoke a lot of pot or drink a lot of alcohol, they should address the problem.

Only the people who have smoked it should be allowed to say if it is safer than alcohol. And let me tell you it in fact is.

Marijuana will never impair someone the way that alcohol can. You cannot get poisened from smoking too much in a day. You can however die in a day from drinking too much. You cannot drive or function in any way shape or form when you are drunk. You can however after smoking. The only thing a smoker may do is get really hungry. You arent gonig to find a smoker out there beating his wife and kids because he is high. Alcoholics will do that on a daily basis.

Marijuana should be legal because it is a stone cold FACT that it is a safer drug than alcohol. The only reason it is illegal is because the govt doesnt think they can control it like Alcohol. It's all about money.

It is comical to listen to libs say smoking should be banned and pot should be legal

That is up to the states. It is legal to use, for medicinal purposes. Why else should it be legal? The argument that it is "social" like alchohol, wont get pot smokers very far. Medicinal marajuana is as close to legal as you will get.

Another tip, pot smokers are not taken seriously. Get a scientist to back your "harmless" theory up....who does not smoke, then maybe people will take this seriously.

PS. You might like this.

Studys in canada on 17-20 year olds show that for heavy marijuana users (5 or more joints a week), the average IQ went down 4 points. Which is equal to the effects on a baby in the womb of a drinking parent.

On the plus side. Light users (5 joints or less a week) of the same age group, have actually shown IQ increases of 5 points!

It's nearly legal in Oregon as well. If you are just a user caught with less than an ounce, you get no more than a ticket and your stuff taken.

I did pot in high school/college. Never liked it much, but those that did saw little wrong with smoking before/between classes. They didn't do well. Those that I knew after school, felt the same freedom at their jobs, again, wasn't a good idea.

Those I know stupid enough to drink while at work, are way gone alcoholics, not 'regular users.'

Of course it's harmful - physiologically and psychologically. But that's no reason to make its use criminal. It should be legalised and use regulated as far as possible. People should be educated in its use. We live in societies steeped in hypocrisy where we allow the use of tobacco and alcohol but criminalise the use of marijuana.

Of course it's harmful - physiologically and psychologically. But that's no reason to make its use criminal. It should be legalised and use regulated as far as possible. People should be educated in its use. We live in societies steeped in hypocrisy where we allow the use of tobacco and alcohol but criminalise the use of marijuana.

so why do libs want to ban smoking, but say it is OK to smoke pot?

nobody wants to BAN smoking...just restrict the places that it can be done and require individual accountability for its negative effects.

I, for one, would not allow smokers to file insurance claims for smoking related illnesses. You smoke...you get emphysema.... you cover the costs of treatment out of pocket. Can't afford it? tough shit.

same thing for head injuries incurred while riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

I don't know if anyone wants to ban smoking. In my state there are restrictions on where someone can smoke (eg in a bar or a restaurant - but there are areas set aside for smokers) but not a ban on smoking as such. And although our laws have decriminalised marijuana it's still an offence but (like Oregon) it's a ticket or diversion for personal use.

I know nothing about a wholesale ban on smoking.

nobody wants to BAN smoking...just restrict the places that it can be done and require individual accountability for its negative effects.

I, for one, would not allow smokers to file insurance claims for smoking related illnesses. You smoke...you get emphysema.... you cover the costs of treatment out of pocket. Can't afford it? tough shit.

same thing for head injuries incurred while riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

Insurance companies would go nuts. They would argue for higher premiums for smokers or people who want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, not a complete loss of those clients surely. I don't know much about the insurance business but it seems to me to operate like a bookie, it works the odds and it lays them off when necessary.

Insurance companies would go nuts. They would argue for higher premiums for smokers or people who want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, not a complete loss of those clients surely. I don't know much about the insurance business but it seems to me to operate like a bookie, it works the odds and it lays them off when necessary.

the industry spreads risk...and it spreads cost.

I do not think that smokers could afford the premiums if they were in a pool of smokers and had to assume that risk amongst only themselves rather than have it be spread to the public at large....same with cycle riders.

I think it is a slippery slope as though that we are heading down interms of where smoking is being banned. In the metro area of Minnesota there is no smoking in any bar or restaurant and our legislature is working hard to get a state wide ban.

Personally I think smoking cigarettes is about the most disgusting thing there is, but personal convictions should not cloud the fact that there are serious property rights involved here as well. Specifcally that the government is telling an owner of a business that belongs to him/her what he can or can't do on his own property. As far as the sensibilities of his patrons go, if he sees he's losing business because there are too many smokers than he can opt to disallow it himself and vic versa. People will bring up the health concerns, but the business owner owes nothing to them, it's their choice to come or not. Just as if you come to my house you accept my mores and sensibilities when you enter it.

As far as marijuana is concerned, legalize it. It's not for me really. the only thing i've ever managed to do smoking pot is burn my thumb.

It's becoming a state wide ban here. While the marijuana laws loosen the smoking laws tighten. I guess the want us smoking the herb.

Forum List

Back