Legalize Grass?

When you are in a recreational state the prices are competitive
Even if you have a medical card, why wouldn't you stop by at the local pusher's crib and save money?
Here in Oregon we have dispensaries all over. Each one carries a large variety of weed strains, all lab tested for THC and CBD. Good quality stuff. Why go to a black market dealer like the old days and pay for whatever he happens to have when you can go to a legal store and get a variety of choices at known quality and quantity? Prices are very reasonable too. About the same price but without the risks.

My only two thoughts on that:
  1. Why does weed need to be "lab tested" adding to the overhead? I can look at a bud, give it a sniff and tell you if its good. Still not sure? One toke of a 5mm crumb and I'll tell you all you want to know about the quality and content. Even the strain and type of THC.
  2. What is this about a "legal" store---- if pot's legalized for sale and use in a state how can a street dealer be "illegal" or unsafe. Again, anyone worth his salt knows what they are buying just by a look and a sniff. I just don't see what risks there are buying off a street guy especially if what he has is good and cheaper. I'd much prefer to buy real weed grown under the actual Sun, wind and rain outdoors than something grown indoors artificially needing a stick to hold it up.

I'm not opposed to quality standards. I know that sounds ridiculous considering I've spent the past 50 years buying uncertified weed from street dealers, but I consider this a benefit of legalization. And quite frankly, dispensarys don't even let you see their weed, much less sniff it. It's all wrapped, boxed, bottled, and sealed up in "stink proof" wrappings.

The legalization of pot means that the sale is taxed, and that the vendor has paid government sales and income taxes on the sale, just as the seals on liquor bottles also certify. I'm happy with an underground economy being taxed.

Legalization hasn't really reduced pot prices in the City. When I walked into our favourite big city dispensary in Hamilton, it was in a major retail mall with big rents, in an upscale neighbourhood with other mall tenants including a major grocery store, and and directly across the parking lot roadway street from the government owned liquor store.

The interior was bright and glossy, designer look, and there was a lot of staff to assist you. Minimum wage in the province is $14 /hr. My first thought was "overhead through the roof"!!! The pot was so overpackaged. Mine came in a plastic bottle - like a large, open mouth asprin container, which was then placed in a cardboard box by the grower, and the stored placed this in a paper bag, all of which ended up in the recycling. Their prices were no different from the expensive street dealer I bought from in Toronto, except for the same price, he delivered it to my house. I didn't have to drive 40 miles to pick it up.

Our small town dispensary - also located directly across the road from our local, government owned liquor store, is much lower rents. It features a more rustic interior, with refurbished, not brand new, furnishings, and never more than 4 staffers, including the greeter/ID checker at the front door. Their pot is packaged in printed white plastic bags, by the grower - cheapest packaging available. Their prices are half that of the fancy, big city store. My favourite Pink Kush sells for $130/ounce as opposed to $300 from my Toronto Dealer, or the $224 from the big city dispensary.

But best of all, I can now legally grow up to 4 plants for my personal use. What this means, is that if the little neighbourhood shits sneaks into my yard at night and steals my plants, I can call the police and have the little wastes of skin, arrested. Our town FaceBook page was filled with videos of the young local assholes stealing plants out of backyards, taken by their neighbours' surveillance cameras. Young local assholes are no longer breaking into cars or backyards. Win/Win

I can't fault any of that thinking. However, if I ever get the chance to buy weed again, legally in my state, I still hope it is like the local herb shop selling goldenseal, where I can just take the lid off a big glass container, look inside, enjoy the smell, see and select what I'm buying, then dig in with a big scoop and shovel big handfuls of the sweet bud into my giant bag spilling some on the floor as I go---- an ounce or a 1/4 pound---- wrap it up, zip the bag shut and walk home with a smile.

Cannabis was meant to be gone through much like a Holley 850 Double-Pumper goes through gas.

The idea of buying weed in little plastic containers replete with commercial packaging is offensive to me. It's a fucking WEED, it grows like A WEED, and I'm under no allusions that this is any kind of highfalutin "medicine" for anything other than my mind. :smoke: And its legalization should be about freedom of pursuit, not tax revenues. Weed is weed no matter who sells it so taxes be damned. Weed is like the grass under my feet, the air I breathe or the sunlight in my hair and it doesn't need to be taxed nor regulated by greedy politicians. It is a gift of the Earth.

From God to man (or woman).

They are talking this shit here in Pennsylvania.

I think its a good idea, but it has to be done right.

IMHO, no "Grass Commissions", no special taxes, licenses or regulatory boards, no special "dispensaries".

Allow the weed to be sold in Walmart, Family Dollar, Giant Eagle, Sheetz and Target, as well any mom and pops that want to push the herbs. It would be subject to state sales tax, but nothing outside what someone buying a case of Coke or Pabst.

Eliminate the political plums and patronage out of the Grass Industry, don't let the politicians have a taste.

And what about those who served time in prison for just possession of weed?
Pose that question to Biden and Harris.
That's their baby.

I've never tried weed before, but I think it should be legalised.
It could give a boost to the economies of developing countries, as they provide the West with their vices.
I also think drug use would go down, as the real attraction of dope is it's illegality.

When you are in a recreational state the prices are competitive
Even if you have a medical card, why wouldn't you stop by at the local pusher's crib and save money?
Here in Oregon we have dispensaries all over. Each one carries a large variety of weed strains, all lab tested for THC and CBD. Good quality stuff. Why go to a black market dealer like the old days and pay for whatever he happens to have when you can go to a legal store and get a variety of choices at known quality and quantity? Prices are very reasonable too. About the same price but without the risks.

My only two thoughts on that:
  1. Why does weed need to be "lab tested" adding to the overhead? I can look at a bud, give it a sniff and tell you if its good. Still not sure? One toke of a 5mm crumb and I'll tell you all you want to know about the quality and content. Even the strain and type of THC.
  2. What is this about a "legal" store---- if pot's legalized for sale and use in a state how can a street dealer be "illegal" or unsafe. Again, anyone worth his salt knows what they are buying just by a look and a sniff. I just don't see what risks there are buying off a street guy especially if what he has is good and cheaper. I'd much prefer to buy real weed grown under the actual Sun, wind and rain outdoors than something grown indoors artificially needing a stick to hold it up.

I'm not opposed to quality standards. I know that sounds ridiculous considering I've spent the past 50 years buying uncertified weed from street dealers, but I consider this a benefit of legalization. And quite frankly, dispensarys don't even let you see their weed, much less sniff it. It's all wrapped, boxed, bottled, and sealed up in "stink proof" wrappings.

The legalization of pot means that the sale is taxed, and that the vendor has paid government sales and income taxes on the sale, just as the seals on liquor bottles also certify. I'm happy with an underground economy being taxed.

Legalization hasn't really reduced pot prices in the City. When I walked into our favourite big city dispensary in Hamilton, it was in a major retail mall with big rents, in an upscale neighbourhood with other mall tenants including a major grocery store, and and directly across the parking lot roadway street from the government owned liquor store.

The interior was bright and glossy, designer look, and there was a lot of staff to assist you. Minimum wage in the province is $14 /hr. My first thought was "overhead through the roof"!!! The pot was so overpackaged. Mine came in a plastic bottle - like a large, open mouth asprin container, which was then placed in a cardboard box by the grower, and the stored placed this in a paper bag, all of which ended up in the recycling. Their prices were no different from the expensive street dealer I bought from in Toronto, except for the same price, he delivered it to my house. I didn't have to drive 40 miles to pick it up.

Our small town dispensary - also located directly across the road from our local, government owned liquor store, is much lower rents. It features a more rustic interior, with refurbished, not brand new, furnishings, and never more than 4 staffers, including the greeter/ID checker at the front door. Their pot is packaged in printed white plastic bags, by the grower - cheapest packaging available. Their prices are half that of the fancy, big city store. My favourite Pink Kush sells for $130/ounce as opposed to $300 from my Toronto Dealer, or the $224 from the big city dispensary.

But best of all, I can now legally grow up to 4 plants for my personal use. What this means, is that if the little neighbourhood shits sneaks into my yard at night and steals my plants, I can call the police and have the little wastes of skin, arrested. Our town FaceBook page was filled with videos of the young local assholes stealing plants out of backyards, taken by their neighbours' surveillance cameras. Young local assholes are no longer breaking into cars or backyards. Win/Win

I can't fault any of that thinking. However, if I ever get the chance to buy weed again, legally in my state, I still hope it is like the local herb shop selling goldenseal, where I can just take the lid off a big glass container, look inside, enjoy the smell, see and select what I'm buying, then dig in with a big scoop and shovel big handfuls of the sweet bud into my giant bag spilling some on the floor as I go---- an ounce or a 1/4 pound---- wrap it up, zip the bag shut and walk home with a smile.

Cannabis was meant to be gone through much like a Holley 850 Double-Pumper goes through gas.

The idea of buying weed in little plastic containers replete with commercial packaging is offensive to me. It's a fucking WEED, it grows like A WEED, and I'm under no allusions that this is any kind of highfalutin "medicine" for anything other than my mind. :smoke: And its legalization should be about freedom of pursuit, not tax revenues. Weed is weed no matter who sells it so taxes be damned. Weed is like the grass under my feet, the air I breathe or the sunlight in my hair and it doesn't need to be taxed nor regulated by greedy politicians. It is a gift of the Earth.

From God to man (or woman).

My Toronto dealer had a "store" downtown/hotbox. It featured about 15 large glass apothecary jars with today's offerings so the buds were clearly visible, and you were invited to lift the lid and take a good, deep, long breathe. The guy who looked after this part of the operation, would ask what you were looking for in your weed, and make recommendations. I considered this place heaven!!! They even had grinders there and you could buy a gram, roll yourself a doobie and give it a try.

When I walked into the high end City Dispensary, I all but wept. You can't even see the weed, much less smell it. I have enough experience with buying packaging and shipping materials for my Esty boutique, and in costing out business operations through my business operations and I know exactly why the High End City stores are pricing the product the way they are. I know the suppliers are paying out big bucks for branded packaging labels, in addition to testing, and government licenses and taxes.

Over the years, I've learned which strains I like and don't like, and when buying a new strain, I'll stick to 3.5 grams (an 1/8 of an ounce), as a tester. The local store will sell you joints starting at $10 if you want a tester. The local store hasn't had my favourite Pink Kush since before Christmas. I tried a half quarter of an Afghan Kush with similar THC/CBD numbers from the same grower, and will never buy that crap again, but the D. Bubba was quite nice. I bought an ounce of a very nice indica a little over two weeks ago, and I still have half an ounce left.

The store also has edibles, vape pens and oils, bongs, papers, and grinders. Which reminds me, I need to get some glass filters.

The guy who looked after this part of the operation, would ask what you were looking for in your weed, and make recommendations.

I generally prefer my weed to have a lot of red pistils in it and purple-veined leaves. But I like my hash black and soft like putty.
missing-tooth-smiley-emoticon.gif

Forum List

Back