Leg of Lamb

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Do you have a personal recipe? One that you have actually made?
Oven method.

Last edited:
Mint Jelly isn't too easy to find unless it's around the holidays.
A restaurant can procure mint jelly from their vendor at any time. I think the tradition of making it available with a lamb dish has faded from history. I'm very disappointed.

But, it isn't necessary to use it for lamb. It is a disguiser/hider thing. It's used for mutton.

A restaurant can procure mint jelly from their vendor at any time. I think the tradition of making it available with a lamb dish has faded from history. I'm very disappointed.

But, it isn't necessary to use it for lamb. It is a disguiser/hider thing. It's used for mutton.
Yes, I've heard that in the old days lamb was of poor quality and a tad gamy. Ergo, the mint jelly. But having been raised that way, I do miss it so.

Yes, I've heard that in the old days lamb was of poor quality and a tad gamy. Ergo, the mint jelly. But having been raised that way, I do miss it so.

Have you eaten mutton?

I never have. It's not something I have ever seen on sale in a regular store. Now that I think about it...........

Greeneyedlady, does your dad sell a lot of mutton?

Do you have a personal recipe? One that you have actually made?
Oven method.

Yes. First rub it with salt - I would recommend sea salt which is not at fine as table salt. You want to rub the entire leg of lamb in salt. Then you make slits in the lamb and put a clove of garlic into each slit. Put it in a pan with some water at the bottom. Cook it very slowly - letting the juices mix with water into the bottom. Later you'll skin some small red potatoes and put those in whole into the juices. Throughout the cooking process - you should be basting the lamb continually. This is going to give it a really nice dark brown top when it is finished and keep it moist. About the potatoes - I like to save some bacon fat and put the potatoes into a frying pan using the fat to give the outside of potato a bit of crunch - then take them and put them back in the bottom of the roasting pan and when it is finished they will be a dark golden brown and have a wonderful flavor.

I've eaten mutton.

I liked it fine.

I'm sure it could potentially be rank. The secret is to trim as much stryfn off as possible, wash the meat to make sure that it's not contaminated with anything that could possibly make it taste strong, and marinade it in a nice spicy marinade before you kebab it.

Mmmmmm...

Mint jelly is easy to make yourself.

Mint Jelly Recipe - Food.com

I don't know what a "steam canner" is. If she's referring to a pressure cooker. I think you could process these in a boiling water canner, probably for 10 minutes. Put in a pot of boiling water, so the water is about 2 inches over the tops of the lids, bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.

Truthfully, if your lids and jars are sterile when you put this stuff into it, they will self-seal and most likely keep forever without any real processing at all.

Have you eaten mutton?

I never have. It's not something I have ever seen on sale in a regular store. Now that I think about it...........

Greeneyedlady, does your dad sell a lot of mutton?

No, I don't ever think he did. It was always lamb.

Do you still eat horseradish with your prime rib?
Hell yeah! Sometimes I blend the horseradish with a bit of mayo. :thup:
You're a very sick man....

Forum List

Back