Leg cramps at night.

Gracie , usually cramps like you describe are caused by an electrolyte imbalance.

Be aware that over the counter dietary supplement pills are often a scam. They are not tested for potency. Sure, they may be tested for safety by the FDA, but they are not tested for potency.

You are better off eating some salted french fries. Potatoes are a great source of potassium and table salt is sodium and chloride.
Table salt kills more people than cigarettes
^
That's complete bullshit.

A very common misconception is that table salt is killing people before their time. Sure, a meal with a high sodium content may make your blood pressure go up slightly, very temporarily, but so will a bit of exercise.

A temporary spike in blood pressure is not what is killing people, it's chronic hypertension that's a killer, and table salt does not cause chronic hypertension.

And a sodium deficiency can cause brain damage because your sodium-potassium ion pumps in the cell membranes of your neurons will cease to function properly.

If you get a little too much sodium in your diet, you'll just piss it out.

My doctor tells me that salt causes the blood vessels to constrict.

A medium sized banana contains 422 milligrams of potassium and 14 grams of sugar.

A medium sized potato contains 897 milligrams of potassium and a mere 1.7 grams of sugar.

A potato has over twice as much potassium than a banana and several times less sugar than a banana.

And those typical over the counter potassium supplement pills... they're just a scam. They contain less than 100 mg of potassium. A practically insignificant amount. You would have to take a handful of those nasty outrageously expensive things to get the same amount of potassium that's in a potato.
The nasty store bought pills cleared up a case of gout I once had post haste.
Typically an episode of gout clears up on it's own post haste.

So how do you know that those pills cleared it up? After all, it could have simply been a coincidence.

Last edited:
^
Says the moron who puts salt on his fries and calls it health food. You need a good slab of bacon in the face

CyNO.gif
Shit my head hurts now
Perhaps you are suffering from a sodium deficiency (hyponatremia). That can definitely cause a headache, because it will interfere with the proper functioning of the sodium-potassium ion pumps on your brain's cell membranes, thus making them swell up. And since your brain is almost entirely enclosed by your braincase (cranium), that can cause excessive intercranial pressure, thus giving you a headache.

I recommend that you go have a BLT and some salty fries.
Just had some no fat low sodium cottage cheese and pineapple. Enjoy your booger king fries doofy
I make my own fries.

"No fat low sodium cottage cheese" is ultra-processed fake food. Nobody should eat that crap.

Every fucking night, I get awakened by EXCRUCIATING leg cramps. And I mean EXCRUCIATING. I can feel my calf muscle in one long hard knot, and when I wake up to bend over to rub it or kick it back where it belongs, I get a damn cramp in my side. Blood tests show I am not lacking in magnesium or calcium, but I ordered some anyway from amazon. ACK! That shit is EXPENSIVE! But I did it anyway. This has GOT to stop. As you can see, it is a bit after 5am. I've been up since 3:35am due to that damn cramp and now my leg is sore. So I took a flexirel and an advil, so although no pain, its sore if I massage my leg.

Did some leg exercise to stretch the muscle and now I am browsing for an exercise bike. Stationary. Foldable. I read at the Mayo Clinin website that a bike will help relieve cramps, and it mostly comes from age if other problems are not suspect.

Anyone here get these damn cramps too? Do you think a bike would help? What do you do to get a restful night and not wake up from pain that makes you want to hobble to your roof and throw yourself off? LOL

Anyway..I have this in my cart on Amazon. Havent ordered it yet. Not sure if the damn thing will work for what I want it for.

XTERRA Fitness FB150 Folding Exercise Bike, Silver, 31.5L x 18W x 45.3H in.
Visit the XTERRA Fitness Store
4.6 out of 5 stars 10,746 ratings

| 421 answered questions

Amazon'sChoicefor Exercise Bikes by XTERRA Fitness

Price:$131.07 FREE One-Day & FREE Returns

BrandXTERRA Fitness
ColorSilver
Item Dimensions LxWxH31.89 x 18.1 x 43.3 inches
Item Weight32 Pounds
Number of Resistance Levels8
About this item
  • Solid X-Frame Design with Thick Steal Tubing | 3-piece pedal crank for added durability
  • Product dimensions – 31.89” L x 18.1” W x 43.3” H | Folded dimensions – 18.1” L x 18.1” W x 50.79” H | Weight – 32 lbs. | Weight limit – 225 lbs. | Flywheel weight system – 3.3 lbs. | Resistance levels – 8 | Comfortably fits most users from 4’10” to 5’10” tall"
  • Large anatomically designed seat and multi-grip padded handlebars are designed for long lasting comfort and support
  • 8 levels of manual resistance are easily controlled through the large Dial tension knob for users of all fitness levels
  • 2" x 1" LCD window is easy to read with all the necessary information - clearly displays speed, distance, time, calories, and pulse

Amazon product

POTASSIUM.....NEED MORE OF IT

Gracie , usually cramps like you describe are caused by an electrolyte imbalance.

Be aware that over the counter dietary supplement pills are often a scam. They are not tested for potency. Sure, they may be tested for safety by the FDA, but they are not tested for potency.

You are better off eating some salted french fries. Potatoes are a great source of potassium and table salt is sodium and chloride.
^

A very common misconception is that table salt is killing people before their time. Sure, a meal with a high sodium content may make your blood pressure go up slightly, very temporarily, but so will a bit of exercise.

A temporary spike in blood pressure is not what is killing people, it's chronic hypertension that's a killer, and table salt does not cause chronic hypertension.

And a sodium deficiency can cause brain damage because your sodium-potassium ion pumps in the cell membranes of your neurons will cease to function properly.

Muhammed is retarded, the amount of table salt that the human body needs is less than one grain of salt a day and this is found naturally in foods so it never needs to be added. Never actually heard that french fries with added salt are healthy, but it might be in the serial killers handbook to health

Every fucking night, I get awakened by EXCRUCIATING leg cramps. And I mean EXCRUCIATING. I can feel my calf muscle in one long hard knot, and when I wake up to bend over to rub it or kick it back where it belongs, I get a damn cramp in my side. Blood tests show I am not lacking in magnesium or calcium, but I ordered some anyway from amazon. ACK! That shit is EXPENSIVE! But I did it anyway. This has GOT to stop. As you can see, it is a bit after 5am. I've been up since 3:35am due to that damn cramp and now my leg is sore. So I took a flexirel and an advil, so although no pain, its sore if I massage my leg.

Did some leg exercise to stretch the muscle and now I am browsing for an exercise bike. Stationary. Foldable. I read at the Mayo Clinin website that a bike will help relieve cramps, and it mostly comes from age if other problems are not suspect.

Anyone here get these damn cramps too? Do you think a bike would help? What do you do to get a restful night and not wake up from pain that makes you want to hobble to your roof and throw yourself off? LOL

Anyway..I have this in my cart on Amazon. Havent ordered it yet. Not sure if the damn thing will work for what I want it for.

| 421 answered questions

BrandXTERRA Fitness
ColorSilver
Item Weight32 Pounds
About this item
  • Solid X-Frame Design with Thick Steal Tubing | 3-piece pedal crank for added durability
  • Product dimensions – 31.89” L x 18.1” W x 43.3” H | Folded dimensions – 18.1” L x 18.1” W x 50.79” H | Weight – 32 lbs. | Weight limit – 225 lbs. | Flywheel weight system – 3.3 lbs. | Resistance levels – 8 | Comfortably fits most users from 4’10” to 5’10” tall"
  • Large anatomically designed seat and multi-grip padded handlebars are designed for long lasting comfort and support
  • 8 levels of manual resistance are easily controlled through the large Dial tension knob for users of all fitness levels
  • 2" x 1" LCD window is easy to read with all the necessary information - clearly displays speed, distance, time, calories, and pulse

Amazon product

Drink liquids with electrolytes. Have bananas for potassium, as potassium is the most recommended food for leg cramps and exercise regularly.
My significant other suffers excruciating leg cramps, but hers are cause by a medication she has to take, so the MD's prescribe a muscle relaxer and valium. This minimizes it to some degree, but barely a night goes by without some discomfort for her.

This, I think, brings us back to how important it is to find out WHY one is having leg cramps, because there are so many different things that can cause them. Most of them are fairly minor and easily fixed, but some are not. The onset of kidney disease, for example, can cause them.

A visit to the doctor to at least try to rule some of the more serious possibilities out is never a bad idea.

Dadoalex
I have a bulging disc in my lower back they found when they did the MRI. They wanted to do surgery and I said HAYELL no. Too many nerves they can hit and then I'd wind up in a wheel chair. No fucking thanks. I will deal with the numb toes, lower back ache that is a constant pain, and do what Granny did. Live with it.

Good friend and ex boss of mine, now deceased, was a doctor. He had back surgery done on him. He was hunched over like a sidewise L, and said he wished he never had it done. Gonna follow his idea and decline it like he wished he did.

Sounds like it's a possibility that your cramps might be related to pinched nerves, then.

^

Muhammed is retarded, the amount of table salt that the human body needs is less than one grain of salt a day and this is found naturally in foods so it never needs to be added. Never actually heard that french fries with added salt are healthy, but it might be in the serial killers handbook to health
I've been a professional personal trainer and nutritionist with clients who became elite record breaking athletes by heeding my advice. You eat very highly processed fake food that I would never put in my body, so obviously you don't know jack shit about nutrition.

Salted fries are a healthy part of a well balanced diet. There's nothing unhealthy about them.

Anti-depressants can also cause nerve damage in the legs

and the incident of this is negligible. (btw, they do NOT cause cramps, they can cause a burning, tingling or stabbing)

But thanks!

Well, gosh, I'm so glad you showed up to condescendingly state your "medical knowledge", Dr. Nooneatall. I'll just get right on believing that over what my doctor told me, simply because you said it was true. You should definitely hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

If it ever gets to be too much trouble posting unwanted assertions to people who think you're a moron, please feel free not to bother.

Anti-depressants can also cause nerve damage in the legs

and the incident of this is negligible. (btw, they do NOT cause cramps, they can cause a burning, tingling or stabbing)

But thanks!

Well, gosh, I'm so glad you showed up to condescendingly state your "medical knowledge", Dr. Nooneatall. I'll just get right on believing that over what my doctor told me, simply because you said it was true. You should definitely hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

If it ever gets to be too much trouble posting unwanted assertions to people who think you're a moron, please feel free not to bother.

hey, if your doctor is an idiot you can always change him.

We have this wonderful tool today, it's call Google. You can use it to make yourself as smart or smarter than most doctors.
Try it, you could learn much. Why stay stupid or listen to dumb doctors?

^

I've been a professional personal trainer and nutritionist with clients who became elite record breaking athletes by heeding my advice. You eat very highly processed fake food that I would never put in my body, so obviously you don't know jack shit about nutrition.

Salted fries are a healthy part of a well balanced diet. There's nothing unhealthy about them.

An athlete who often works up a sweat, likely is expelling lots of salt, so needs much more salt than most people would.

| 421 answered questions

BrandXTERRA Fitness
ColorSilver
Item Weight32 Pounds
About this item

Amazon product

Try drinking more water...and when you feel a leg cramp coming on point your toes up as high as you can and hold it for a while....

Forum List

Back