Left side numb

Douger

Rookie
Jun 25, 2009
Not fucking there !
Anyone have numbness on the left ?
My left leg went to sleep last week and never woke up. Also my left arm from the elbow down.
The docs did a cat scan and the neurologist checked all reflexes, eye response, hearing etc.
My doc thinks it may be the amiodarone I take for tachycardia.
It's driving me nuts !....OK... NuttyER.:eusa_angel:

Douger, see a different doctor. It sounds as if this one is patting you on the head -- but numbness is VERY serious. And if he really believes this is an adverse event caused by a drug, make him explain HOW the drug injured you.

Then sue everyone responsible like a motherfucker.

I hope this passes, Douger. I can well imagine it is disorienting as hell. I'm very sorry to hear about it.

I took amioderone for a couple of years and never had those symptoms, altho it did screw up my thyroid and often left me short of breath. I was taking it for an arrythmic episode that the doc assumed was chronic. Anyhow I stopped that med and feel much better for it.

go with simple first.....always...hopefully its a reversable side effect...

did they check for ms....hell it could be a pinched damned nerve to fucking lou gerhigs....

get another opinion

My left leg went to sleep last week and never woke up. Also my left arm from the elbow down.
The docs did a cat scan and the neurologist checked all reflexes, eye response, hearing etc.
Do you exercise at all? My arms and legs can go numb from sitting in my comfy chair flaming posters at USMB for hours on end.
Walking.
Light weight lifting.
P90X.
Yoga.

Gotta' exercise regularly.

Do you exercise at all? My arms and legs can go numb from sitting in my comfy chair flaming posters at USMB for hours on end.
Walking.
Light weight lifting.
P90X.
Yoga.

Gotta' exercise regularly.

If he has some sort of nerve damage, that will not help the situation.

There is something called
Peripheral neuropathy often causes numbness and pain in your hands and feet. People typically describe the pain of peripheral neuropathy as tingling or burning, while they may compare the loss of sensation to the feeling of wearing a thin stocking or glove.
Peripheral neuropathy is caused by nerve damage. It can result from such problems as traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic problems and exposure to toxins. One of the most common causes is diabetes.
In many cases, peripheral neuropathy symptoms improve with time — especially if it's caused by an underlying condition that can be treated. A number of medications are often used to reduce the painful symptoms of peripheral neuropathy.

Maybe you should ask your Dr, if that is a possibility

Thanks for the replies.
I'm a rain forest guide and frequently do crazy shit with a 40 or 50 lb pack.
Spurs. T3 to T6. :confused:
Time for some Oxy ! :eusa_shhh:

Nerves controlling the left side, but not all of it? Hm.

What would Dr. House say?

Possibly something on the right side of the brain itself?

Medicinal side effects?

The best advice you're going to get you've already gotten.

Seek a second (and maybe a third) opinion. The symptoms sound a little scary. So don't hesitate. Just go. Not EVERY doctor is equally well qualified. So getting a range of opinions is perfectly rational.

Lawsuits (if any) can wait. Your health -- not so much.

If a person is treated soon enough, the damage from certain types of strokes can be reversed or averted.

But you have to get your ass into the hospital.

And it's too late for that now. So hopefully it's just an inflammation or drug side effect, though I've never heard of a drug side effect only causing effects on one side.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm a rain forest guide and frequently do crazy shit with a 40 or 50 lb pack.
Spurs. T3 to T6. :confused:
Time for some Oxy ! :eusa_shhh:

Generally pain medication does not help in any sort of nerve damage that may be happening. I do hope it is not nerve related.

The sciatic nerve can cause one side of the body to be affected

spinal bone spurs

Traumatic injuries to the spine along with the usual stressors of life cause degeneration in the discs and the joints of the spine. With age, injury, poor posture there is cumulative damage to the bone or joints of the spine:

• As disc material slowly wears out, ligaments loosen and excess motion occurs at the joint.
• The body naturally and necessarily thickens the ligaments that hold the bones together.
• Over time, the thick ligaments tend to calcify, resulting bone spur formation.
• As the central spinal canal and the foramina thicken their ligaments, compression of the nervous system components causes clinical symptoms.

I had the same problem last year.
Just my left arm, though, not my leg.
Of course heart attack was my first thought.
X-ray, CT Scan, and MRI later we found out I have an arthritic vertebrae that gets inflamed and pinches that nerve.
Some ibuprofen is all I needed.
Have a rheumatoid physician take a good look at your scans

I had the same problem last year.
Just my left arm, though, not my leg.
Of course heart attack was my first thought.
X-ray, CT Scan, and MRI later we found out I have an arthritic vertebrae that gets inflamed and pinches that nerve.
Some ibuprofen is all I needed.
Have a rheumatoid physician take a good look at your scans

A simple blood test can also find if it is an arthritic condition.

I took amioderone for a couple of years and never had those symptoms, altho it did screw up my thyroid and often left me short of breath. I was taking it for an arrythmic episode that the doc assumed was chronic. Anyhow I stopped that med and feel much better for it.

That's because it's 40% iodine (if I recall correctly).

Isn't that dangerous? :confused: Why so much iodine?

go with simple first.....always...hopefully its a reversable side effect...

did they check for ms....hell it could be a pinched damned nerve to fucking lou gerhigs....

get another opinion

Those don't present that way. ALS is purely motor function with no sensory losses. MS presents with central nervous symptoms (vision, etc) that remit and recur early on.

It sounds like the OP has seen at least two Drs. Maybe he should get another opinion on top of that.

Isn't that dangerous? :confused: Why so much iodine?

It can be hard on your thyroid. I don't know why the drug has so much iodine it it. That level of pharmacology is way beyond my level. Though, like a lot of drugs, it's name will tell you a lot about it amIODerone.

Forum List

Back