Leather made from cactus

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
image1-5.jpg

More efficient than cloth from cotton and certainly easier on cattle.

It’s made from Nopal cactus, what we call prickly pear. The only use the plant’s mature leaves that preserves the plants and allows for a new harvest every 6 to 8 months. After cutting the leaves, they are sun-dried for 3 days and processed.

The pair plans to produce at least 200k linear meters of their vegan leather by 2020.

As a personal aside. Prickly pear grows throughout the world so, by sharing their process, this could be produced just about everywhere. And, for those who don’t know, Nopal is an excellent food source and the fruit makes excellent preserves.

More of this @ Two Friends From Mexico Developed A Synthetic Leather Made From Cactus

Cool. Wonder if it's as durable as real leather?

Be interesting to see what the Harley Davidson crowd would think about leather made from plants.

Thanks for sharing this. Another alternative to cow skin is Piñatex, which is made from fibers extracted from pineapple leaves. I've never tried it, but I'd love to.

By definition, leather is made from the skins of animals.

Making an imitation-leather-like substance from plant material is fine, but calling it leather is intellectually dishonest.

Yeah, that bothered me that they called it leather.
Actually, they call it piele del Desserto. They use the word "skin" but it comes out as leather on the hundreds of online articles about it.

Forum List

Back