Learning to play

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Alrighty then...anyone out there ever tried to learn to play a musical instrument at an older age?

I am considering trying to learn to play the violin ... it's something I have always wanted to do and never had the wherewithall up until now. I guess what I am asking is does anyone have any advice for an old dog about to attempt learning a new trick?

Alrighty then...anyone out there ever tried to learn to play a musical instrument at an older age?

I am considering trying to learn to play the violin ... it's something I have always wanted to do and never had the wherewithall up until now. I guess what I am asking is does anyone have any advice for an old dog about to attempt learning a new trick?

A violin? You BIG puss!!! :lol:

How ya been?

BTW... go for it..

DO IT!!!!

I tried to teach myself to play guitar this summer. I even got on youtube for "how to" videos, they have something for anyone. I'm sure if you got on there and typed in "violin playing" you would get many vids of free lessons. Or go to a violin teacher, if you live near a university maybe a music student could teach you for cheaper than a studio....

I love the violin, love to hear beautiful music played by it. Here is a great vid with music by Bach that was written for violin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOVwokQnV4M&feature=related]YouTube - J.S. Bach - Air on the G String, Sarah Chang[/ame]

DO IT!!!!

I tried to teach myself to play guitar this summer. I even got on youtube for "how to" videos, they have something for anyone. I'm sure if you got on there and typed in "violin playing" you would get many vids of free lessons. Or go to a violin teacher, if you live near a university maybe a music student could teach you for cheaper than a studio....

I love the violin, love to hear beautiful music played by it. Here is a great vid with music by Bach that was written for violin:

YouTube - J.S. Bach - Air on the G String, Sarah Chang

I have been cruising the net for a while now looking for stuff on violins and violin music as well as various teaching techniques. I have been interested in doing this since I was a kid ... I imagine it will be a bit difficult and I am sure I wont ever be one of the world's greatist violinists. I look at like the guy who was less than well endowed who hired the hooker. When she saw his rather diminutive package, she started laughing and asked "Who do you think you are going to make happy with that little thing?" and he replied "ME!"

Learning to play the violin, no matter how well or poorly will make ME happy.:lol:

Good for you. It is very doable. I played some and now I am teaching my son. With practice and dedication, you can become a decent violinist. Do you plan to go to an instructor or are game at trying to teach yourself?

Good for you. It is very doable. I played some and now I am teaching my son. With practice and dedication, you can become a decent violinist. Do you plan to go to an instructor or are game at trying to teach yourself?

Probably a bit of both. From what I have read, self taught is doable but it wont point out or correct bad habits that a person can get into and not be aware of. I will probably take a lesson periodically to correct bad habits but rely on self teaching for the norm.

I take it then that yo play the violin. I'm jealous!

I teach guitar to the young and old. If you have the gift and the motivation, you can play. It doesn't matter how old you are. Work on your technique first. You'll need a good instructor for this. What kind of music do you want to play?

I play several musical instruments, in addition to singing, and am currently working on learning to play the psaltery (a type of lap harp, for anyone wondering), and write songs. My advice is to find yourself a good teacher, and to practice for an hour every day without fail. It's how I learned every other musical skill I have, and works wonderfully.

I picked up the guitar a couple years ago and i can bang out chords to some songs. I think I' going to try the harmonica too.

I enjoy it and it's never too late.

I know a retired veterinarian who taught himself piano when he was 65 and now he's taking banjo lessons at 76.

It keeps you young to learn new things so go for it.

I teach guitar to the young and old. If you have the gift and the motivation, you can play. It doesn't matter how old you are. Work on your technique first. You'll need a good instructor for this. What kind of music do you want to play?

I don't know about the gift part. I suspect if I had that I would be playing already. I have the motivation and determination though. I am not certain what kind of music I would like to play but I think a variety to start to get a feel for what I enjoy most.

Thanks to all for the encouragement...I needed that!

So, two out of town musicians were scheduled to play at Carnegy Hall and they saw a cop to ask directions.

"Say, can you tell us musicians how to get to Carnegy Hall?" they asked the officer.

"Practice, practice, practice" was all he said.

Probably a bit of both. From what I have read, self taught is doable but it wont point out or correct bad habits that a person can get into and not be aware of. I will probably take a lesson periodically to correct bad habits but rely on self teaching for the norm.

I take it then that yo play the violin. I'm jealous!

My son and I are using The Violin Book by Eden Vaning Rosen. I call the author up occasionally and we discuss my son's progress and any issues we may be having. You don't live near Florida, do you? She's got a lot of adults using this curriculum and the folks that live near her, come by her for violin instructions, as well.

You're right to go to an instructor once in a while as well because form is everything with the violin.

I fiddle a bit, but the piano's my forte! Once you play one instrument, it's fairly easy to pick up another. There's nothing like being able to play an instrument. It brings me a lot of joy.

Good luck to you. I would love to hear about your progress.

I picked up the guitar a couple years ago and i can bang out chords to some songs. I think I' going to try the harmonica too.

I enjoy it and it's never too late.

I know a retired veterinarian who taught himself piano when he was 65 and now he's taking banjo lessons at 76.

It keeps you young to learn new things so go for it.

Hey! That's another thing I want to learn to play, the harmonica. Do you have any tips for that?

Hey! That's another thing I want to learn to play, the harmonica. Do you have any tips for that?

Yeah, Bob Dylan (much as I love the guy) isn't a good model to emulate harmonica-wise.

Stevie Wonder, working out on a this kind of Hohner, say for example, in the tune "Isn't she lovely" definitely is.

MC-7540_-2T.jpg

Yeah, Bob Dylan (much as I love the guy) isn't a good model to emulate harmonica-wise.

Stevie Wonder, working out on a this kind of Hohner, say for example, in the tune "Isn't she lovely" definitely is.

MC-7540_-2T.jpg

Neil Young plays a mean harp too, I want to learn some of his songs, and some blues too.

Damned near anybody can play blues harp.

It take real talent to play a serious melody on a chromonica.

I started playing harmonic about 50 years ago.

I haven't kept it up, but I could easily wow a crowd when I was a kid, playing with some RnR band, playing blues or some RnR number. I could do that even when I was drunk as the lord.

OTOH, I really had to be on top of things to play a chromonica to get through Bach or some jazzified melody.

The harp can be a serious instrument but usually it's not.

Being able to play sharp and flat notes (and carrying a real melody) is what generally separates the serious harmonicist from the blues wailing hack.

Sure, go for it CSM. Just don't use Jack Benny as an example... :lol:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B-Cl3-SUp_c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B-Cl3-SUp_c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I don't know about the gift part. I suspect if I had that I would be playing already. I have the motivation and determination though. I am not certain what kind of music I would like to play but I think a variety to start to get a feel for what I enjoy most.

Thanks to all for the encouragement...I needed that!

You'll find out soon enough if you have the gift. Even if you don't, you can still have fun. Start playing songs as soon as possible, but make sure your technique is right. I used to pass a (golf) driving range each day on the way home from work and I would invariably see people practicing with horrible technique. They were practicing how to be bad! And once bad technique becomes part of you, it's very difficult to reverse it.

Forum List

Back