Leadership

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I was (not so) recently appointed as a Flight Commander in my CAP squadron. I have been an officer for only a few months, and I think my leadership style is good, but to test out my theories and ideas, I'd like to see if my idea of good leadership corresponds with those that post here.

So, what qualities in a leader do you respect? What examples of leadership have you experienced that were bad? That were good?

Any input at all is appreciated, and thank you.

I was (not so) recently appointed as a Flight Commander in my CAP squadron. I have been an officer for only a few months, and I think my leadership style is good, but to test out my theories and ideas, I'd like to see if my idea of good leadership corresponds with those that post here.

So, what qualities in a leader do you respect? What examples of leadership have you experienced that were bad? That were good?

Ability to think for oneself

Ability to know when to kick something 'up'

Abilitiy to differentiate between complaining and justified concern

getting started...

Not letting it go to your head and keeping an open mind to criticism. No one is perfect and the best leaders are those who recognize their fallible nature and work to make progress rather than tout their appointed superiority.

http://www.uspharmd.com/usmc/mcleader.htm

The U.S. Army's Eleven Leadership Principles:

Be tactically and technically proficient
Know yourself and seek self-improvement
Know your soldiers and look out for their welfare
Keep your soldiers informed
Set the example
Ensure the task is understood, supervised and accomplished
Train your soldiers as a team
Make sound and timely decisions
Develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinates
Employ your unit in accordance with its capabilities
Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions

Organizations consist of three components:
The structure gives the organization its form and dictates the way it will interact.
The followers respond to the structure and the leaders.
The leaders determine the ultimate effectiveness of the organization as the character and skills that they bring determine the way problems are solved and tasks are accomplished.

U.S. Army 23 Traits of Character:

Bearing
Confidence
Courage
Integrity
Decisiveness
Justice
Endurance
Tact
Initiative
Coolness
Maturity
Improvement
Will
Assertiveness
Candor
Sense of humor
Competence
Commitment
Creativity
Self-discipline
Humility
Flexibility
Empathy/Compassion

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leadchr.html

Were you enlisted before your commission? If so you don't need to check your leadership abilities because it is you ability to lead that got your commission.
And if you just left the acadamy then you should know that being a junior 2nd Lui means you'll have to learn to trust your senior NCO's and know it is there ability to lead and your common knowledge of being an officer that makes you a good leader.

Forum List

Back