Lawsuit claims Windsor police officers drew guns, pepper-sprayed uniformed Army officer during traffic stop

So, with the George Floyd trial going on, I found this traffic stop. . . a little, well, a bit of an over-reaction on the part of the police. I wonder if it has made the news at all?

In fact, I cannot imagine being treated this way. It is embarrassing that they treat the military this way. Just for dealer tags? I understand why he was afraid of them. . . I really do. They had no reason to ask him to exit the vehicle.

Lawsuit claims Windsor police officers drew guns, pepper-sprayed uniformed Army officer during traffic stop

". . .They approached with guns pointed at the car, gave opposing instructions to a uniformed soldier behind the wheel, and then pepper-sprayed him -- all while threatening him with different charges and levels of violence for noncompliance.

“I can think of absolutely no reason under the sun as to why those officers should have exited their vehicles with their firearms trained on my client or any other,” explained lawyer Jonathan Arthur.. . "

the sob did not stop his vehicle when officers turn on the lights on him. he continued driving on close to two miles before he stopped. he then refused to follow the officer's instructions.. just because he was serving in the military did not entitle him to special treatment. I served in the U S Army, but that does not entitle me to anything. When I have been stopped by police I comply with their instructions and speak and interact with them in a respectful manner. They clear me and I am on my way in a matter of minutes.

Sounds like the young Lt. did everything right, including pull over at a well lit gas station. I hope he gets a ton of money.

Apparently he's only asking for one million. 10m would be my minimum after that nonsense which I just watched in its entirety for first time. First of all, the Second Lieutenant HAD the required temporary registration posted in his back window. Second, I don't blame him for continuing slowly to a well-lit gas station. This could have gone much worse if he hadn't.

And finally, I wouldn't have reached down to unbuckle my seatbelt or open the door either. This fucker was on a hair trigger and likely looking for ANY excuse to blow the guy away. They had NO excuse to draw their weapons. You're correct, he did EVERYTHING right including hands in the air the entire time even when getting sprayed.

One of the most outrageous examples of bad policing I've ever seen. I do feel somewhat for his young partner, who looked totally perplexed and was shaking like a leaf. It was clear that he didn't understand the actions of his fat fuck pig partner.
A million is plenty. He didn't get shot. Million is just enough to get some attention to the problem. Ten Million would have been way too much. The modern get rich quick lawsuit crap over insult and slights and being put is danger but no harm, ain't right. I can understand everybody liking free money (which ain't free to the tax payer) but it ain't right.

More importantly, the officer was fired.
I didn't know he was fired. Personally, I would not have fired, unless he had a history of that kind of crap, (which he may have, I don't know) severe ass chewing, suspension of pay an benefits for 30 days, mandatory psych evaluation, remedial training and new assignment to shit duty for a year would probably have done the trick. Doubt if a jury will be convince not to award, just because they fired him, so it might have been uselessly spiteful.

So, with the George Floyd trial going on, I found this traffic stop. . . a little, well, a bit of an over-reaction on the part of the police. I wonder if it has made the news at all?

In fact, I cannot imagine being treated this way. It is embarrassing that they treat the military this way. Just for dealer tags? I understand why he was afraid of them. . . I really do. They had no reason to ask him to exit the vehicle.

". . .They approached with guns pointed at the car, gave opposing instructions to a uniformed soldier behind the wheel, and then pepper-sprayed him -- all while threatening him with different charges and levels of violence for noncompliance.

“I can think of absolutely no reason under the sun as to why those officers should have exited their vehicles with their firearms trained on my client or any other,” explained lawyer Jonathan Arthur.. . "

the sob did not stop his vehicle when officers turn on the lights on him. he continued driving on close to two miles before he stopped. he then refused to follow the officer's instructions.. just because he was serving in the military did not entitle him to special treatment. I served in the U S Army, but that does not entitle me to anything. When I have been stopped by police I comply with their instructions and speak and interact with them in a respectful manner. They clear me and I am on my way in a matter of minutes.

The "SOB"? Fascinating. I bet you would have loved Craig Peyer. (look him up)

I had a group of cops come one me with their guns drawn. They were looking for a rapist, a white guy in a blue jacket. I opened my jacket and flashed my security guard uniform and my illegally carried gun (I was off the property I was supposed to be guarding) and they holstered their guns drove off without an apology.

Pigs being pigs.

Leftists: "Cops are pigs!"
Also leftists: "Only cops should have guns!"
No....it is not true that we on the Left (for the most part) believe that "only cops should have guns". We want more sanity on gun ownership.

Do you think it's "sane" for the cop in this video to own a gun?
Your signature pic would look better if you used the scene from Animal house instead.

Coming from a family of military members----------I can attest wearing an uniform does not make one good. NOT even fucking close. Plenty of idiots and criminals in the ranks especially now thanks to clinton, obama, and biden.

This said this fucking idiot wasn't obeying commands and made the cops chase his idiotic ass-----which almost always criminal trying to dispose of drugs or other criminal evidence.

Stop crying a river over the criminals---------

So this military officer is a thug? :dunno:
Officer? Is he an officer? He ignored the cops, made them chase him down, and refused to obey--------

Notice the lib story has HOLES IN IT and they leave quit a bit out.

wearing an uniform does not make one a good person----how weird that you think military personal don't get arrested and don't commit crimes. My husband spend 21 years in------------------I've seen a lot of crimes within the ranks---lots of drugs, lots of stealing, lots of abuse, sexual assaults, corrupt MPs.

So this military officer is a thug? :dunno:
Officer? Is he an officer? He ignored the cops, made them chase him down, and refused to obey--------

Notice the lib story has HOLES IN IT and they leave quit a bit out.

wearing an uniform does not make one a good person----how weird that you think military personal don't get arrested and don't commit crimes. My husband spend 21 years in------------------I've seen a lot of crimes within the ranks---lots of drugs, lots of stealing, lots of abuse, sexual assaults, corrupt MPs.
He is a Lieutenant.

He slowed down and indicated that he was going to drive to a lighted area to pull over.

I did not see any holes in it.

Perhaps you did not view the video.

The police have always went all spastic when someone doesn't pull over the very second the lights go on. You can't look for a safer spot. You can't look for a lighted area. You can't look for a place with people around.

The police are going to have to look that people are NOT going to pull over somewhere they don't deem as safe.

All over the fact that the cops couldn't see his plate. There is never a reason to pull a gun over something like this.
I was on a jury for a young black man, deputies were trying to pull over. He drove a mile and a half further down the country road, till he got to a home with a big security light and honked his horn to wake up the white couple that lived there. The sheriff's dept. had him charged with resisting though there was no resistance, attempting to evade, though he pull over right where the drive met the road, failure to yield to blue lights and some other crap. I was foreman. We let him walk on everything. Young man used good sense. I like cops fine, but especially late at night, you want witnesses no matter who wants to pull you over in the middle of nowhere.
Jury trial for not pulling over_____sounds like you leaving a few things out.

The police have always went all spastic when someone doesn't pull over the very second the lights go on. You can't look for a safer spot. You can't look for a lighted area. You can't look for a place with people around.

The police are going to have to look that people are NOT going to pull over somewhere they don't deem as safe.

All over the fact that the cops couldn't see his plate. There is never a reason to pull a gun over something like this.
I was on a jury for a young black man, deputies were trying to pull over. He drove a mile and a half further down the country road, till he got to a home with a big security light and honked his horn to wake up the white couple that lived there. The sheriff's dept. had him charged with resisting though there was no resistance, attempting to evade, though he pull over right where the drive met the road, failure to yield to blue lights and some other crap. I was foreman. We let him walk on everything. Young man used good sense. I like cops fine, but especially late at night, you want witnesses no matter who wants to pull you over in the middle of nowhere.
Jury trial for not pulling over_____sounds like you leaving a few things out.
They also said they smell marijuana at the time of the stop, but did not find any. They testified they thought they saw him throw something out, but could not find anything. He was young (26) black, father of two, married 5 years, worked at a steady factory job, at one of the better paying factories in jackson on his way home from an evening shift, and had no prior arrests, convictions or except for a speeding ticket 55 in a 45 zoned on that same road two years earlier. Prosecutor did a lousy job. His lawyer did a lousy job. The sheriff's deputies did a lousy job testifying. I thought they were trying to railroad the kid for being arrested while driving while black. The others on the mostly white jury agreed with me. All I did was having the jury discuss the charges from most preposterous first. Add-on charges easily backfire on prosecutors.

Looks like much ado about nothing. Maybe it doesn't take much to become an officer in the U.S. Army these days but wouldn't they know that they would get stopped for having no license plate? Anybody could wear the camouflage outfit these days and it would be prudent for Police Officers to ask them to step out of the civilian vehicle to see if they were armed. If they gave the Cops some lip and or refused to step out of the vehicle it seems that pepper spray would be the least of their problems. They should thank the Police Officers for that consideration.

Forum List

Back