Latino lawmakers urge veto of Arizona immigration law

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Washington (CNN) -- Latino members of Congress Tuesday called on Arizona's governor to kill a state bill that would require police to determine whether people are in the United States legally, arguing that it unconstitutionally authorizes discrimination.

"When you institutionalize a law like this one, you are targeting and discriminating at a wholesale level against a group of people," Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Arizona, told reporters. Grijalva and Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, said Republican Gov. Jan Brewer should veto the measure, which the state Senate approved Monday.

The bill would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and require police to question people if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally. It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant day laborers or knowingly transport them.

Brewer, a Republican, has yet to take a public stance on the bill.

Grijalva, whose congressional district runs from the Mexican border to the outskirts of Phoenix, said the legislation "is not just mean-spirited, it is directed at a specific population." Gutierrez, D-Illinois, said the measure infringes on the federal government's authority over immigration laws as well as being discriminatory.

"I'm Puerto Rican. I was born in Chicago, and my family has been U.S. citizens for generations," Gutierrez said. "But look at my face, listen to my voice. I'd probably get picked up in Arizona and questioned. Is that what we want in America?"

Latino lawmakers urge veto of Arizona immigration law - CNN.com

Not surprising that these two bozos would be the first to come out against something that makes alot of sense. Give it a rest Gutierrez and Grijalva, most hispanics that I know are applauding this law! Especially those who live in AZ. Neither of you speak for ALL hispanics.

If the "lawmakers" in congress, including the ones referenced in the Op would fulfill their legal obligation to defend our borders, this entire issue would go away.

The only reason the state has passed this law is because the federal government is not fulfilling it's most basic obligation, to defend our borders.

Forum List

Back