Last known woman believed to be last survivor of transatlantic slave trade

This is amazing to be because I've done some black genealogies and they are extremely hard to do

Wiki:
>> The schooner Clotilda (often misspelled Clotilde) was the last known U.S. slave ship to bring captives from Africa to the United States, arriving at Mobile Bay in autumn 1859[1] or July 9, 1860,[2][3] with 110–160 slaves.[1] The ship was a two-masted schooner, 86 feet (26 m) long with a beam of 23 ft (7.0 m).​
The importation of slaves into the United States had been banned by Congress through the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves enacted on March 2, 1807 (effective January 1, 1808), but the practice continued illegally until this vessel was burned and scuttled soon after arrival at Mobile Bay in an attempt to destroy the evidence. The sponsors had arranged to buy slaves in Whydah, Dahomey, on May 15, 1859.[1][2]
Cudjo Kazoola Lewis[1][2] was said to be a chief and the oldest slave on the ship. After the Civil War, he and thirty-one other former slaves founded Africatown on the north side of Mobile, Alabama. They were joined by other continental Africans and formed a community that continued to practice many of their West African traditions and Yoruba language for decades.​
A spokesman for the community, Kazoola Lewis lived until 1935 and was one of the last survivors from the Clotilda. Redoshi, another captive on the Clotilda, was sold to a planter in Dallas County, Alabama, where she became known also as Sally Smith. She married, had a daughter, and lived to 1937 in Bogue Chitto. She was thought to have been the last survivor of the Clotilda,[4] until further research published in 2020 indicated that another survivor, Matilda McCrear, lived until 1940. <<​

I always knew Alabama was big on slavery. It's a whole different world there.

When I went there, they still had "Nannies" and "Butlers".

And as we blacks all know, blacks were born on America soil into slavery. But you have to question why somebody wants to point out that the last person who lived through the middle passage died during jim crow. What is this person trying to prove?

I hope that these women were interviewed as part of the WPA. Given the dearth of first-hand accounts of those who actually endured slavery and its aftermath, the WPA Project was, and still is a blessing. As always with every natural and man-made tragedy, first-hand accounts are the best teachers.

And as we blacks all know, blacks were born on America soil into slavery. But you have to question why somebody wants to point out that the last person who lived through the middle passage died during jim crow. What is this person trying to prove?
what are you trying to prove by constantly bringing up slavery and HISTORY of injustice to blacks?

what are you trying to prove by constantly bringing up slavery and HISTORY of injustice to blacks?

That's a strange reaction.

It's the same one I get when I post in History or Race Relations (which this is) about the Tulsa or East St. Louis race riots or the history of lynchings. Certain wags (always predictable which ones) rush in to tell me to shut up. As if they expect me to hold the rug up while they sweep, rather than point out the dirt. I guess it's also the same ones who object to writing about the Lost Cause Cult.

I guess it just astounds me when somebody wants information suppressed. That's exactly why I looked up the slave ship above, because I saw the date 1860 and I knew that legal slave shipping had ceased in 1808. How can you not be curious about that?

I mean --- I learned something here. I can't figure out what the downside is to that.

It's the same one I get when I post in History or Race Relations (which this is) about the Tulsa or East St. Louis race riots or the history of lynchings. Certain wags (always predictable which ones) rush in to tell me to shut up. As if they expect me to hold the rug up while they sweep, rather than point out the dirt. I guess it's also the same ones who object to writing about the Lost Cause Cult.

I guess it just astounds me when somebody wants information suppressed. That's exactly why I looked up the slave ship above, because I saw the date 1860 and I knew that legal slave shipping had ceased in 1808. How can you not be curious about that?

I mean --- I learned something here. I can't figure out what the downside is to that.

IM2 is the one questioning the op. Miz Molly was questioning IM2 method of harping on past wrongs.

I agree that this historical factoid is interesting. I guess I had always assumed that there was SOME illegal shipping of slaves after the ban, but I did not know that any actual family lines had been traced like this.

There is a huge difference between learning about history and using history as a club.

I give

IM2 is the one questioning the op. Miz Molly was questioning IM2 method of harping on past wrongs.

I agree that this historical factoid is interesting. I guess I had always assumed that there was SOME illegal shipping of slaves after the ban, but I did not know that any actual family lines had been traced like this.

There is a huge difference between learning about history and using history as a club.

Just because history might make your ancestors look bad does not mean that history is being used as a club. History, whether it be of race-based slavery in the U.S., the genocide of the Armenians by the Turks, the persecution and genocide of Jewish people in the pograms of Russia and the deliberate building of permanent death factories by the Nazis, the mass murders by Pol Pot, the treatment of Native Americans by the Europeans, and so many other incidents of oppression and genocide by group that has occurred throughout human history, there is a powerful moral lesson to be learned by human kind for all time: that people do NOT ever treat other people in this way. We have to drive this message home to our descendents.

Just because history might make your ancestors look bad does not mean that history is being used as a club. .....

Correct. It is when history is used as a club, to just bash a person's enemies for events long gone, that makes history into a club.

THat is not what the op is doing. It is what IM2 does ALL THE TIME.

Just because history might make your ancestors look bad does not mean that history is being used as a club. .....

Correct. It is when history is used as a club, to just bash a person's enemies for events long gone, that makes history into a club.

I think that IM2 would stand up for women, Jews, Muslims, gays, Armenians. I think that he is as stand-up guy.

There sure is, just as there's a huge difference between dealing with the words sitting on the page, and using them to infer huge leaps over tall buildings in a single bound. Or to put it another way, infusing value judgments where none were stated.

I think that IM2 would stand up for women, Jews, Muslims, gays, Armenians. I think that he is as stand-up guy.

I know that IM2, uses history as a weapon to beat his current day enemies with. He uses it as a club.

People like him are tearing this nation apart.

HInt: THat is not going to work out well, for the women, jews, muslims, gays or Aremenians.

I'm not seeing it. Can you quote it?

There sure is, just as there's a huge difference between dealing with the words sitting on the page, and using them to infer huge leaps over tall buildings in a single bound. Or to put it another way, infusing value judgments where none were stated.

Agreed. IM2 does nothing but value judgments Miz Molly was question HIS actions, not the op.

I found the op information interesting. IM2 was suspicious. He didn't understand what point this information could be used for.

his words.

" But you have to question why somebody wants to point out that the last person who lived through the middle passage died during jim crow. What is this person trying to prove?"

He didn't see this as being usable to bash his enemies with. So his immediately "leap" was to suspect that it was being used AGAINST him.

He is not able to imagine an interest in history, solely for historical purposes. It is only a weapon to him.

Forum List

Back