LASIK eye surgery needs to stop, former FDA adviser says: Report

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Even though LASIK has been around for 20 years in the U.S., one former FDA adviser has said the procedure should be taken off the market.

Dr. Morris Waxler originally voted to approve the eye surgery, but he’s changed his mind.

"Essentially we ignored the data on vision distortions that persisted for years," the retired FDA adviser told CBS News.

"I re-examined the documentation … and I said, 'Wow this is not good,'" he added.

This is his website
Start here

I was hoping to get this done this next year. Now, all of this stuff is surfacing. Here is a response to Dr. Waxler; however, this must have been ongoing because it looks like it's from 2011. Also, the response gets technical and way too technical for me.
EyeWorld | ASCRS responds to LASIK critic Morris Waxler

Disir gets eye surgery sees world as it really is.........kills herself.

Alternate ending--Disir gets the eye surgery but doesn't kill herself because of being in a percentage that is completely blinded.

Last edited:
Even though LASIK has been around for 20 years in the U.S., one former FDA adviser has said the procedure should be taken off the market.

Dr. Morris Waxler originally voted to approve the eye surgery, but he’s changed his mind.

"Essentially we ignored the data on vision distortions that persisted for years," the retired FDA adviser told CBS News.

"I re-examined the documentation … and I said, 'Wow this is not good,'" he added.

This is his website
Start here

I was hoping to get this done this next year. Now, all of this stuff is surfacing. Here is a response to Dr. Waxler; however, this must have been ongoing because it looks like it's from 2011. Also, the response gets technical and way to technical for me.

Alternate ending--Disir gets the eye surgery but doesn't kill herself because of being in a percentage that is completely blinded.

I was thinking about having it done...

This is his website
Start here

I was hoping to get this done this next year. Now, all of this stuff is surfacing. Here is a response to Dr. Waxler; however, this must have been ongoing because it looks like it's from 2011. Also, the response gets technical and way to technical for me.

Did you see any of this stuff?

This is his website
Start here

Did you see any of this stuff?

Going to research it... Was at the Eye doc today to get new glasses and she said I could just get my eyes corrected...

Now will research it...

My wife had that surgery performed around 25 years ago.

But this Doctor used some kind of diamond precision scalpel instead of a laser.

She was extremely near sighted, yet after the procedure had 20/20 vision.

Still has very good vision, but has to use glasses for reading like most people do by age 50. ... :cool:

Wife had it no prob. Have heard of people experiencing permanent complications before today...

Of course your eyes are going to change over time whether you have surgery or not; I know when my cataracts get bad enough I'm going to have them removed. I trust lasers more than I trust human reflexes with a knife on my eyes. I still do not need glasses to read, but I have an astigmatism in my right eye that makes me near-sighted in it and far sighted in my left eye, for which the crappy eye test box at the DMV they bought in the 1930's says I need to wear glasses.

I'm considered legally blind and have been since age 7. So, I was kind of hoping that this would be the cure all.

Forum List

Back