Landscaping And Yardwork

I had to pull up five deep rooted tree trunks from my yard..

I went to Home Depot picked up 10 Mexicans,, told the 100 a person.. when they were done I called ice on them.. had them arrested .. told them they tried to break in my house so they can never get citizenship lol
You fail Creative Writing 101.

I'd just like to know if any of these people know how to clear vines because I am now addicted to the task.

Unkotare would you please proof read this ?I want it to be perfect grammar.

Those are the good vines for swinging on.

Down home when I was little I could go out in the woods and find those at the top of steep hills (like really, really steep hills) and swing down to the bottom for a good long time.

I bet that was fun we use to swing out over the river on them but that was a long time ago.

I'm 71 and my wife is 65. We recently changed to another gym that offers the "Silver Sneakers" program (saves some on the costs). Since the PNW can be a bit cold and damp often, especially in Winter, the gym gives us exercise option when outdoors isn't so appealing. Plus some forms of workout we don't get from yard and garden activity.

Still, we have a flora intensive half acre with lots of vertical and horizontal carbon sequestration and usage biological systems that are self-expanding and self-replicating, so we can be busy most times of the year tending those as well.

The gym is a long way from here so we work out at home. I like to dance too for exercise.

I bet that was fun we use to swing out over the river on them but that was a long time ago.

Sometimes they come loose from the treetops.

Except always during mid-swing.

Then you crash into the ground and roll down the hill.

Hurts like the dickens.

Last edited:
BTW, we have a dehydrator, which gets lots of use, plus do a bit of canning as well. Between the fresh veggies and fruits* to pick and those we preserve, we get some of our food needs/costs covered, AND get exercise and fresh air in the process. Also, it's all organic so we don't get unwanted chemical "schist", which is part of the hazard with store bought.

* We've a few apple and couple pear trees and have some nut, mostly walnut, trees as well. And a couple of grape vines.

We have some dried beans we are about to can,but right now hubby is busy working on autos. We use a tailgater burner to cook the canner.
BTW, we have a dehydrator, which gets lots of use, plus do a bit of canning as well. Between the fresh veggies and fruits* to pick and those we preserve, we get some of our food needs/costs covered, AND get exercise and fresh air in the process. Also, it's all organic so we don't get unwanted chemical "schist", which is part of the hazard with store bought.

* We've a few apple and couple pear trees and have some nut, mostly walnut, trees as well. And a couple of grape vines.

We need to can some dried beans .haven't canned much this year been busy with other things,
This is our canner we use on front porch.

1646354400664.png

Sometimes they come loose from the treetops.

Except always during mid-swing.

Then you crash into the ground and roll down the hill.

Hurts like the dickens.

You aren't kidding about that .I have had some hard falls from it for 24 years now. Not counting the ones I had as a kid. But now that I'm old I've learned to be less aggressive.

We have some dried beans we are about to can,but right now hubby is busy working on autos. We use a tailgater burner to cook the canner.

We need to can some dried beans .haven't canned much this year been busy with other things,
This is our canner we use on front porch.

View attachment 610383
Those look lovely. Nothing like just preserved from the garden, especially when doing Winter comfort dishes.

We grow quite a variety, and of course save some for the next year's planting. We've found this company to offer interesting selections and values for both consumption and seed.

The gym is a long way from here so we work out at home. I like to dance too for exercise.
Dance is nice, especially tango which we've been thinking of doing again. Especially when the wife can retire in a few months.
Our house is a small rambler so not much room for exercising in. Gym only a few miles away.

Dance is nice, especially tango which we've been thinking of doing again. Especially when the wife can retire in a few months.
Our house is a small rambler so not much room for exercising in. Gym only a few miles away.

I'm old but thank goodness I have some energy. I like to listen to all kinds of music some classic a even 2 rap songs get me moving. I found out I can cha cha to Ice Ice Baby. I took ballroom dance in the mid 70s at Authur Murray dance studio and loved it. But then I also like to dance modern.

Can you imagine doing cha cha to this ,

We focus on two types of gardening.
One is what's called straw bale gardening, where you plant in the straw bales (NOT hay!)
We use these mostly for our tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers, along with basil and a few other sorts of compatible plants. Once the bales are "cooked" and composting inside ~ @ ten days of soaking with water and some fetrilizer, then we plant our starts with some top soil layer over the top and in the planting holes. A couple benefits are the foot plus elevation to make working easier and the bales do a great job of retaining heat to get the roots through the often chill Summer nights. We get rather bountiful crops by season's end.

Straw Bale Gardening | Home & Garden Information Center

Beginner's Guide to Straw Bale Gardening - Safer® Brand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We also do layer or a.k.a. "lasagna" gardening.
This involve putting down corrugated cardboard sheets (boxes), cleaned of plastic tape and labels, them placing compost on top followed by layer of topsoil. The plants ~ seeds and starts ~ can punch their roots through rather easily once it is wetted enough, but weeds have a hard time pushing their sprouts up and through.

Cuts down a bit on the weeding process, and after several seasons has built up a healthy garden bed.

How to Make a Lasagna Garden - The Spruce

Lasagna Gardening | Home & Garden Information Center

In addition to doing the two methods in my post which I'm replying to, the wife stumbled upon another system we can make use of. We've a few piles of tree branch/limbs/etc. we've pruned in recent years to do something with and this sounds better than burning the small stuff and cutting larger into firewood.

What Is Hugelkultur?​

Eco Living

Sep 25th, 2013 | By Nicole Rogers

Practiced for centuries in Eastern Europe and Germany, hugelkultur is the process of making raised garden beds filled with rotten wood. The result is a low-maintenance garden that doesn’t require irrigation or fertilization. Hugelkulture beds have naturally good drainage and produce incredibly rich, fertile soil that retains moisture. It’s also a great way to upcycle woody debris. Hugelkultur is often utilized in permaculture systems and even works in the desert!

A hugelkultur bed is a bit more work to set up than a standard garden but takes less work over the years to maintain due to its unique advantages. According to permaculturist Paul Weaton’s website, the wood rotting under your garden will act like compost, creating extremely rich soil. For the first few years, the composting process will warm the soil a bit, giving you a slightly longer growing season. As the wood shrinks during decomposition, it creates air pockets, making the garden somewhat self-tilling. The rotting wood also acts as a sponge, retaining water and eventually eliminating the need for irrigation. This ability to absorb and retain water even makes the process successful in desert environments. Hugelkultur beds are also said to improve the flavor of the fruits and vegetables grown on them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

hugelkultur: the ultimate raised garden bed

Hügelkultur - Wikipedia

Hugelkultur: What It Is & Inspiration For Your Permaculture ...

In addition to doing the two methods in my post which I'm replying to, the wife stumbled upon another system we can make use of. We've a few piles of tree branch/limbs/etc. we've pruned in recent years to do something with and this sounds better than burning the small stuff and cutting larger into firewood.

What Is Hugelkultur?​

Eco Living

Sep 25th, 2013 | By Nicole Rogers

Practiced for centuries in Eastern Europe and Germany, hugelkultur is the process of making raised garden beds filled with rotten wood. The result is a low-maintenance garden that doesn’t require irrigation or fertilization. Hugelkulture beds have naturally good drainage and produce incredibly rich, fertile soil that retains moisture. It’s also a great way to upcycle woody debris. Hugelkultur is often utilized in permaculture systems and even works in the desert!

A hugelkultur bed is a bit more work to set up than a standard garden but takes less work over the years to maintain due to its unique advantages. According to permaculturist Paul Weaton’s website, the wood rotting under your garden will act like compost, creating extremely rich soil. For the first few years, the composting process will warm the soil a bit, giving you a slightly longer growing season. As the wood shrinks during decomposition, it creates air pockets, making the garden somewhat self-tilling. The rotting wood also acts as a sponge, retaining water and eventually eliminating the need for irrigation. This ability to absorb and retain water even makes the process successful in desert environments. Hugelkultur beds are also said to improve the flavor of the fruits and vegetables grown on them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

hugelkultur: the ultimate raised garden bed

Hügelkultur - Wikipedia

Hugelkultur: What It Is & Inspiration For Your Permaculture ...

We built one of those about 5 years ago,it works great,we only had time to plant it once.

Looks like I should have done the search function first. linking your thread here;

Hugulkulture is Another Great Way To Grow in Todays World.​

Thanks!
Your welcome, but they took alot of my pictures off for some reason,but this is ok have any questions just ask us.

I miss all the wildlife and native plants we had here 20 years ago. Vines are killing trees big time.We have saved many of them over the years but urban sprawl has taken over their habitat.
I just went for a walk thru the woods without touching even one vine. Its still beautiful although not as alive as before.
Tics are really bad now too bad to work so hoping for a deep freeze which is unusual for us but happens now and then. Coldest night this year was only in high teens.

I miss all the wildlife and native plants we had here 20 years ago. Vines are killing trees big time.We have saved many of them over the years but urban sprawl has taken over their habitat.
I just went for a walk thru the woods without touching even one vine. Its still beautiful although not as alive as before.
Tics are really bad now too bad to work so hoping for a deep freeze which is unusual for us but happens now and then. Coldest night this year was only in high teens.

What kind of vines are you talking about? I cut back the wild grapes about once a decade and the english ivy running up the trees about every 5 years.

New Topics

Forum List

Back