Lady kicked off plane for breast-feeding..

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
When I first read the Title I was pissed! The more I read, the more I see the mother in question is an IDIOT...she should have her child REMOVED from her custody.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229390,00.html
BURLINGTON, Vermont — A woman has complained that she was kicked off an airplane about to leave Burlington airport because she was breast-feeding her baby.

A complaint against two airlines was filed with the Vermont Human Rights Commission, although Executive Director Robert Appel said he was barred by state law from confirming the complaint. He did say state law allows a mother to breast-feed in public.

Elizabeth Boepple, a lawyer hired by 27-year-old mother Emily Gillette, confirmed that Gillette filed the complaint late last week against Delta Air Lines and Freedom Airlines. Freedom was operating the Delta commuter flight between Burlington and New York City.

A Freedom spokesman said Gillette was asked to leave the flight after she declined a flight attendant's offer of a blanket.

"A breast-feeding mother is perfectly acceptable on an aircraft, providing she is feeding the child in a discreet way," that does not bother others, said Paul Skellon, spokesman for Phoenix-based Freedom. "She was asked to use a blanket just to provide a little more discretion, she was given a blanket, and she refused to use it, and that's all I know."

Gillette, her husband Brad and their daughter River, who live in New Mexico, had been visiting relatives in Vermont. Their flight was three hours late but appeared to be preparing for takeoff Oct. 13 when Gillette decided to breast-feed her 22-month-old, she said.

Gillette said she was being discreet. She was seated by the window in the second-to-last row, her husband was seated between her and the aisle and no part of her breast was showing, she said.

A flight attendant approached, tried to hand her a blanket and told her to cover up, Gillette said. She said she had a legal right to breast-feed her baby.

Moments later, a Delta ticket agent approached and said the flight attendant had asked that the family be removed from the flight, Gillette said. She said she did not want to make a scene and complied.

"It embarrassed me. That was my first reaction, which is a weird reaction for doing something so good for a child. And then helpless," Gillette said.

The Vermont Human Rights Commission investigates complaints and determines whether discrimination may have occurred. The parties to a complaint are given six months to reach a settlement. If none is reached, the commission then decides whether to go to court. A complainant can file a separate suit in state court at any time.

Two things:

1st - I think she instigated the kick-off because she simply wouldn't cooperate. Her right to breast-feed her child does NOT trump my 'right' to NOT have to see her boobies.

2ndly - and what REALLY pissed me off...That wasn't a BABY...her child is nearly TWO YEARS OLD and that crazy woman is breast-feeding? HOLY Crap! what is WRONG with people??? "doing something GOOD for a child" she says... She MAY be causing HARM to her kid.

How I feel can best be related in a few lines from the Hit Major Motion Picture "Major Payne" staring Damon Wayons.

Major Payne: Maybe what he need is for you to pop your titty out his mouth and let the boy grow up.
Emily: Excuse me, what did you say?
Major Payne: I didn't stutter, I said pop-your-titty-out-his-mouth AND STOP BABYING HIM.
Emily: I don't call it babying, I call it nurturing.
Major Payne: And I call it neutering.
Emily: And I call you an insecure, overbearing, psychopathic, edictorial, ego maniacal, frigid lunatic ASSHOLE!
Major Payne: I ain't frigid.

:bangheads :bangheads

Ladies - if your kids has all his TEETH he gets no TIT...

Actually, I will defend the age on breast-feeding. It is proven that children who are breast fed longer are smarter and I"ve heard have less allergy problems.

Otherwise: WTFery!

zomg its a boobie! run away run away!

Her right to breast-feed her child does NOT trump my 'right' to NOT have to see her boobies.

She was seated by the window in the second-to-last row, her husband was seated between her and the aisle and no part of her breast was showing, she said.

Seems like you would have to be trying just a little bit to see it in the first place.

Anyway...

Even so it wouldn't have been that hard to just use the stupid blanket. If someone was still upset about it and she was thrown off then I would back her case. As it stands I can't get too worked up over it.

Actually, I will defend the age on breast-feeding. It is proven that children who are breast fed longer are smarter and I"ve heard have less allergy problems.

"proven smarter?"

I'd have to raise the :bsflag: :(

and wouldn't it be 'fewer' allgery problems? :poke:

Benefits which come with breast-feeding a kid should be realized by about age 1. At age 2, kids can walk and talk. ANYONE who can walk and talk has NO business being breast-fed. None. Whatsoever...that's just nasty. :(

zomg its a boobie! run away run away!
Seems like you would have to be trying just a little bit to see it in the first place.

No - not even CLOSE. I'm the most liberal guy I know when it comes to breasts. The point is, she was FLAUNTING her beast feeding of another person.

Anyway...
Even so it wouldn't have been that hard to just use the stupid blanket. If someone was still upset about it and she was thrown off then I would back her case. As it stands I can't get too worked up over it.

She didn't want to use the blanket because, I'm speculating, she's a arrogant prick who likes to flaunt her lifestyle choices on others. She loves being the victim. May God have mercy upon her offspring. She's the kind of lady, I'm speculating, who'd use ANYTHING she could for a law-suit-lottery ticket. :(

In ancient days, the traditional age of "weaning" was 3 years old. However, in our society, with access to plenty of milk & water and a variety of nutritious foods, there aren't many benefits beyond a year or a year & a half. I breast-fed all my kids, and I have a friend who is a member of La Leche, actually founded a local chapter. I think she took it too far in breast-feeding her boy until the age of three, but he WAS mentally handicapped. I will support a woman's choice to breast-feed in public, as long as it is done discreetly, especially for a young baby who needs to eat every couple hours. It would be hard for a woman to get out of the house at all if she couldn't feed the child on the go.

But, I agree with D on this one. By a year old, the child does not NEED to breast feed. If he is hungry or thirsty, he can handle other foods & a sippy cup. Maybe the kid was sleepy after the long delay, and breast-feeding does help put the kid to sleep, but it was not necessary to satisfy hunger at that age. The woman most likely turned it into a bigger deal than was necessary.

Well a simple case of a liberal who doesn't think they have to follow any reasonable protocol on that event. Look just because you have the ability to demostrate something like breast feeding doesn't mean it should interupt others. We ain't in a very poor 3rd world country here. We are suppoely a very modern society and for this to have occurred in such tight quarters as a airplane is totally wrong. The kicker is the airline will settle out of court over a clear violation of the airlines right to protect it's passengers.

I think we need to take this case to the Liberal court of Justice. People should be free to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't "negatively impact others".

...and 'negative' will be defined as the first liberal who complains.

You mean we wouldn't even have a trial ? It would be interesting to at least hear or read the written opinions regarding what represents "negative impact on others". I need some behavioral guidelines here !

But, I agree with D on this one. By a year old, the child does not NEED to breast feed. If he is hungry or thirsty, he can handle other foods & a sippy cup. Maybe the kid was sleepy after the long delay, and breast-feeding does help put the kid to sleep, but it was not necessary to satisfy hunger at that age. The woman most likely turned it into a bigger deal than was necessary.

I agree also. If the woman wants to breast feed until 2 years fine. It sounds like all she was asked to do was cover up more. A child that age can wait and isn't going to start crying like an infant who is hungery.

I've nursed on a plane before and it's difficult to get "adjusted" and be discreet at the same time in those little seats. My husband would hold a blanket up so there wouldn't be anything showing. Obviously this woman wasn't being careful or she wouldn't have been offered the blanket.

Obviously this woman wasn't being careful or she wouldn't have been offered the blanket.

Well, I tend to think that she was "flaunting" her right to breast-feed, too. On the other hand, I have been given dirty looks and comments for breast-feeding in a public parking lot, in my car with a blanket covering us. Some people truly ARE offended or grossed out by the very idea of breastfeeding, even if they aren't seeing anything. It's totally unfair to expect a woman to remain housebound for a year, just because she chooses a very beneficial way of feeding her child. I know some women have issues, but I think most breastfeeding moms do it for the child; I know it certainly wasn't FUN for me. Rather painful, actually.

dude........ 22 month old that is nothing....................

i was at an outdoor cafe having lunch in berkeley......

when acrsoos the street i see a mother and her son standing there...she is talking to another woman.....kid was about three feet tall or so....all of a sudden he ducks under her shirt and starts munching.....

:alco:

when acrsoos the street i see a mother and her son standing there...she is talking to another woman.....kid was about three feet tall or so....all of a sudden he ducks under her shirt and starts munching.....

Yeah... I've heard some stuff from La Leche Leaguers... :shocked:

Hence Berkley, I know in the Philippines they would breast feed kids up to 7 years old. In certain societies it is supposed to be soothing or something.

:baby:

Hence Berkley, I know in the Philippines they would breast feed kids up to 7 years old. In certain societies it is supposed to be soothing or something.

:baby:

i am 46........... playing with boobies sooths me............

So I'm reading Darin's preamble, thinking she musta done something really insane for him to want to take the kid from its mother, and all he has is the kid was 22 months old??? For fuck's sake....pathetic...:lame2:

Forum List

Back