Labor Dept. Signs 'Partnerships' with Foreign Gov’s to Protect Illegal Workers in U.S

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
lol, last week they STOPPED deportations of ILLEGAL immigrants and gave them a free pass to WORK, now this...this administration sure gives a CRAP about you LEGAL CITIZENS of this country, and especially you in the 9.2% UNEMPLOYMENT...

SNIP:
Monday, August 29, 2011
By Edwin Mora

U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis (AP File Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis today signed "partnership" agreements with ambassadors from a group of Latin American nations aiming to protect what she described as the labor rights of both legal and illegal migrants working in the United States.

During the signing ceremony hosted at Labor Department headquarters in Washington D.C., Solis said the agreements are aimed at educating migrant workers, regardless of how they got here, about their rights under U.S. law and to help prevent them from being abused in the workplace, either through wages, loss of job, or deportation.

When asked by CNSNews.com, she made clear the agreements aim at protecting both documented and undocmented workers inside the United States.

In her address at the signing ceremony, Solis asserted that all migrant workers have a “right to a legal wage”--even though the Labor Department itself states that under U.S. law, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), “employers may hire only persons who may legally work in the United States (i.e., citizens and nationals of the U.S.) and aliens authorized to work in the U.S.”

The INA “protects U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to accept employment in the U.S. from discrimination in hiring or discharge on the basis of national origin and citizenship status," states the Labor Department Web site.

Nevertheless, during the signing ceremony today, Solis said, “No matter how you got here or how long you plan to stay, you have certain rights. You have the right to be safe and in a healthy workplace and the right to a legal wage. We gather here today to strengthen our shared commitment to protect the labor rights of migrant workers in the United States. Unfortunately, due to language barriers and immigration status, migrant workers can be those that are most vulnerably abused.”

“We’re committed to ending that abuse and in a few moments we’ll sign a new partnerships between the Department of Labor and the embassies of Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, and El Salvador,” she said. “These are pledges between our governments to work together to educate migrant workers about their labor rights and prevent abuses in the workplace.”

read it all and LOTS of comments..
Labor Dept. Signs 'Partnerships' with Foreign Gov

U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis today signed "partnership" agreements with ambassadors from a group of Latin American nations aiming to protect what she described as the labor rights of both legal and illegal migrants working in the United States.

Here's my first problem with this.

ILLEGALS HAVE NO LABOR RIGHTS IN THIS COUNTRY.

As people, they have human rights. That is drastically different that LABOR rights.

They are here illegally, and thus have no right to labor in this country.

Period.

Here's my second problem with this...

In her address at the signing ceremony, Solis asserted that all migrant workers have a “right to a legal wage”--even though the Labor Department itself states that under U.S. law, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), “employers may hire only persons who may legally work in the United States (i.e., citizens and nationals of the U.S.) and aliens authorized to work in the U.S

She essentially said, 'Fuck U.S. law.'

Um, NO... they do NOT all have a right to a legal wage. The LEGAL immigrants and migrants do, of course. But not those here illegally.

You cannot disregard US Law, simply because you don't like it. There are procedures for that.

In her address at the signing ceremony, Solis asserted that all migrant workers have a “right to a legal wage”--even though the Labor Department itself states that under U.S. law, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), “employers may hire only persons who may legally work in the United States (i.e., citizens and nationals of the U.S.) and aliens authorized to work in the U.S

Um, NO... they do NOT all have a right to a legal wage. The LEGAL immigrants and migrants do, of course. But not those here illegally.

You cannot disregard US Law, simply because you don't like it. There are procedures for that.

This administration doesn't BELIEVE it has to follow the laws we have. Look at last week what they did with the deporting of Illegal immigrants. It was posted here.

1-866-487-9243

Call us. We can help.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6neboemmaRU]Labor Secretary Hilda L Solis Turns Blind Eye To Illegal Immigrants In Workplace - YouTube[/ame]

(This particular ad is at least a year old. They've been scoffing at the law a long time.)

Last edited:
U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis today signed "partnership" agreements with ambassadors from a group of Latin American nations aiming to protect what she described as the labor rights of both legal and illegal migrants working in the United States.

Here's my first problem with this.

ILLEGALS HAVE NO LABOR RIGHTS IN THIS COUNTRY.

As people, they have human rights. That is drastically different that LABOR rights.

They are here illegally, and thus have no right to labor in this country.

Period.

Damn straight. Time to put them into the back of Military trucks and haul there asses back to the country they belong. SO FUCKING SICK OF CATERING TO ILLEGALS AND THE REST OF THE FUCKING WORLD. FUCK!

Last edited:

This administration doesn't BELIEVE it has to follow the laws we have. Look at last week what they did with the deporting of Illegal immigrants. It was posted here.

Damn right unlawful what the administration did. :evil:

For those who prefer a direct transcript rather than a story from a news organization with an openly partisan editorial position,

Remarks at the Labor Rights Week Kickoff, DOL Great Hall, Washington, D.C., August 29, 2011

I'm having trouble researching this. What law are people who immigrated to the US breaking when they take a job in the US? I assume there is a federal law governing this, but the only ones I can find are prohibitions on employers, not employees. Of course, in practice many such workers forge documents, fail to pay taxes, etc., but what law prohibits the actual work? If federal agents picked up a guy without a green card doing day labor at a landscaping job what crime could they charge him with?

Regardless of whether it is legal for undocumented workers to work in the US, Solis is correct that they have a right to a legal wage. Suppose that such workers are breaking the law. That makes them criminals. That doesn't give others the legal right to criminally victimize them, whether it's by assault or by violation of labor laws such as the minimum wage.

Forum List

Back