LA County District Attorney George Gascon's 1st day in office: ends death penalty, cash bail, trying children as adults, criminalizing mental health

Life in San Francisco turned out so well, what the hell, do it in Los Angeles. San Francisco poop map makers can expand their business.

George Gascón embarked Monday on a plan to reimagine criminal prosecutions in Los Angeles County, announcing sweeping policy changes he’ll make as district attorney that include an end to cash bail, a ban on prosecutors seeking enhanced prison sentences and showing leniency to many low-level offenders.

On first day as L.A. County D.A., George Gascón eliminates bail, remakes sentencing rules

Life in San Francisco turned out so well, what the hell, do it in Los Angeles. San Francisco poop map makers can expand their business.

George Gascón embarked Monday on a plan to reimagine criminal prosecutions in Los Angeles County, announcing sweeping policy changes he’ll make as district attorney that include an end to cash bail, a ban on prosecutors seeking enhanced prison sentences and showing leniency to many low-level offenders.

On first day as L.A. County D.A., George Gascón eliminates bail, remakes sentencing rules

Maybe minor Kyle Rittenhouse can ask for a change of venue to LA where they will decline to persecute?

So no more hate crimes in LA? Or is thought policing still en vogue?

The new regime in the LA District Attorney's office is disturbed by the inequality. In their view, the number of police prosecuted should be equal to the number of Criminals prosecuted and they will do what they can to achieve equality.

A lot of time the dirt bag MFers get off because the victims are not diligent. I was the victim of a carjacking with use of a firearm. First thing the prosecutor wanted to drop the ten year gun enhancement. Give the 18 year old three years for car theft. He serves half that for good time work time credit and is out in 18 months. I objected. The DA said it wasn't my call. Oh really. I went to the press and identified the sweetheart deal naming the DA. The enhancement was reinstated. 13 years.

Then I got the night time visitors. I got a dog and I got a gun. Then a few more guns.

I fought for over a year to get justice for the Mexican illegal who thought he would steal my car. I never missed a court date. I was there in the front row at every hearing and motion. He plead guilty in exchange for credit for time served and sentence to a minimum security facility. Then it was time for my victim's statement. I flayed him alive. He lost every credit and went to Chino. All 13 years. I tried for Pelican Bay.

That's what EVERY victim needs to do. Fight. If they can't get a victim's rights group to target these deals and make sure they get the maximum sentence.

this guy gets the job done. elections mean change!

He can't actually end any of these things. All he can do as a prosecutor is not ask for them. The judge can impose anything.

Actually he can. Take the Death Penalty. The Prosecutor announces that he is seeking it during the preliminary stage. This places requirements on the court for the experience and qualifications of the Defense Team. If not announced the Jury or Judge may not sentence the Defendant to Death.

Oh. This probably saved the taxpayers several million dollars every year by the way.

By not filing the Special Circumstances charges. The Judge can not give harsher sentences based upon them. The maximum as well as minimum is set is the law. So even if the Judge was to throw the book. It could not exceed the maximum by law.

Bail? The “people” ask for either continued detention or a high bail. If instead the prosecutor does not oppose the request for release, then the judge has to justify why Bail is set or why pretrial release was denied.

So the Prosecutor can do pretty much all of that. And more.

Crime will skyrocket.

It did in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and New York. Los Angeles will follow the same way. Being California they will do it bigger, better and badder. There is no Constitutional right to commit a crime. No matter how many criminals think there is.

We are finally getting to your objections. The Constitution. I guess you detest part of it. Just the little parts. Like the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and let’s not forget the Eighth Amendments. The Eightth Amendment says Excessive Bail shall not be required.

I know. It is a shock to you to hear of any amendments beside the Second. But they are there. Check it out if you doubt me.

Now Excessive Bail has been handled many ways. But poor people can’t afford it. So they stay in jail for months. Or years. Waiting for a trial date. And if found not guilty, how do you compensate them for their lost time?

Now the dirty little secret is that about forty percent of those arrested will not be found guilty. They’ll eventually have charges dropped. Or they will plea bargain for time served. What that means is ten seconds after the guilty verdict for some misdemeanor is read, the guy walks out free. Time served. He’s done.

Why are charges dropped. Witnesses become unavailable. Or the delays are too great meaning the defendant is denied his speedy trial. Or some procedural filing is late or wrong.

So a majority of those in Jail are awaiting trial. Those serving sentences are always released early because of overcrowding. COVID made that worse.

Felony drug cases are pled out as misdemeanor cases. Or just dropped charges. Happens all the time. Assault with a deadly weapon becomes simple assault. Simple assault becomes disturbing the peace. Robbery becomes less. And that is if they are found guilty.

And that is not just California. It is the case everywhere.

There is no part of the constitution that legalizes crime. Many poor people charged with minor crimes are released on their own recognizance. When they aren't it's for good reason. They are incorrigible criminals. They get time served. Okay. They are at least off the streets for a time.

Sorry but intimidating a witness into not testifying should not mean a get out of jail free card. I have no sympathy for the dirt bags. I know plenty. There isn't one I would let have their next breath.

I offered to join your immediate execution didn’t so? You did not reply. Because you don’t want anyone held responsible if someone dies for a crime they did not commit.

You mean like a victim? Criminals deserve to die. Quickly. The bailiff should do it right at the counsel table. Why do you not want criminals held responsible? Do victims deserve to die?

5,700 exonerations. How many innocents would die to satisfy your insane blood lust?

Forum List

Back