Kurdish rebels 'kill 24 Turkish soldiers'

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Kurdish rebels 'kill 24 Turkish soldiers'

At least 24 Turkish soldiers have been killed in clashes with Kurdish rebels at several police and army posts in south-east Turkey, reports say.

Governor Muammer Turker confirmed the attacks in the mainly Kurdish province of Hakkari, the Associated Press said.

The attacks come a day after a blast in the southeast Bitlis province killed five police officers and three others.

The area, where ethnic Kurds make up a majority, has recently seen a spike in violence by Kurdish rebels.

Turkey has responded with a police crackdown on suspected rebel sympathisers and air strikes on Kurdish sites in northern Iraq.

Rebels are seeking greater autonomy in the country's Kurdish-dominated south-east, and have killed dozens of members of the country's security forces, and at least 17 civilians, since mid-July.

Tens of thousands of people have died in the conflict since 1984.

Barzani said he rushed to Ankara to offer the condolences of the Kurdish regional government to Turkey. Stating that they believe that such attacks do not serve the interests of either the Turkish or Kurdish people, he said such attacks should not damage Kurdish-Turkish relations. Stating that bilateral meetings with Turkish officials will be held more often, Barazani underscored that the regional administration's cooperation with Turkey will expand in many areas.

Kurdish official rushes to Ankara to pledge cooperation on counterterrorism

Barzani said he rushed to Ankara to offer the condolences of the Kurdish regional government to Turkey. Stating that they believe that such attacks do not serve the interests of either the Turkish or Kurdish people, he said such attacks should not damage Kurdish-Turkish relations. Stating that bilateral meetings with Turkish officials will be held more often, Barazani underscored that the regional administration's cooperation with Turkey will expand in many areas.

Expand like Armenia?

What's your opinion about this, Ekrem? I know what mine is: anybody in any position of power among the Kurds was once either a PKK or supported them in some way. Therefore I do not fully trust them.

What's your opinion about this, Ekrem? I know what mine is: anybody in any position of power among the Kurds was once either a PKK or supported them in some way. Therefore I do not fully trust them.

The operations happen with consent of both Baghdad and Erbil.

"The Turkish government has an acceptance agreement with the Iraqi government to allow for such "hot pursuit" operations, and earlier this month the country's parliament renewed the Turkish military's mandate to conduct ground incursions into Iraq."
english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/10/201110196353373230.html

What they call the KRG in Iraq is split into 2 administration zones, one ruled by Talabani clan (PUK) and the other ruled by Barzani clan (KDP). Both are egocentric tribal factions who fought each other during the 90's.
Iraqi Kurdish Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Turkey mainly supported Barzani clan and KDP irregulars (what they call Peshmerga) carried out operations together with Turkey against PKK and PUK (Talabani).

In 1998 the PKK's leader was captured in Kenia, and in 1999 the PKK declared an unilateral "ceasefire".
With the US's invasion of Iraq, Turkey lost the initiative on Turkey's southern border and under a de-facto security umbrella with lots of weapons floating within Iraq the PKK began to attack again in 2004.

Now the US is withdrawing, and Turkey has several interests in Iraq, mainly security and economy related. We only have 1 border-gate with Iraq, and Iraq was under UN sanctions for 1 decade and the border-region is underdeveloped in economical terms.
So we'll open 4 more border-gates and will build a railway line through the border.
Yeni sınır kapıları geliyor - cnnturk.com
Together with all the pipeline stuff. So the PKK is an obstacle to further integration as it operates in this region.

"The Turkish government has an acceptance agreement with the Iraqi government to allow for such "hot pursuit" operations, and earlier this month the country's parliament renewed the Turkish military's mandate to conduct ground incursions into Iraq."

What they call the KRG in Iraq is split into 2 administration zones, one ruled by Talabani clan (PUK) and the other ruled by Barzani clan (KDP). Both are egocentric tribal factions who fought each other during the 90's.
Turkey mainly supported Barzani clan and KDP irregulars (what they call Peshmerga) carried out operations together with Turkey against PKK and PUK (Talabani).

In 1998 the PKK's leader was captured in Kenia, and in 1999 the PKK declared an unilateral "ceasefire".
With the US's invasion of Iraq, Turkey lost the initiative on Turkey's southern border and under a de-facto security umbrella with lots of weapons floating within Iraq the PKK began to attack again in 2004.

Now the US is withdrawing, and Turkey has several interests in Iraq, mainly security and economy related. We only have 1 border-gate with Iraq, and Iraq was under UN sanctions for 1 decade and the border-region is underdeveloped in economical terms.
So we'll open 4 more border-gates and will build a railway line through the border.
Together with all the pipeline stuff. So the PKK is an obstacle to further integration as it operates in this region.

The end game isn't going to be the one you want.

Thank you. I always like to hear the truth from people who are close to the situation.

I just finished reading how Apo is trying to stay relevant, from his island prison:

Ocalan can convince PKK to disarm, Lawyer says

The end game isn't going to be the one you want.

I agree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/world/middleeast/05turkey.html?pagewanted=all
While the United States invaded and occupied Iraq, losing more than 4,400 troops there, Turkey now exerts what may prove a more lasting legacy — so-called soft power, the assertion of influence through culture, education and business. (...)
On the road from Erbil to Baghdad, its pop culture is everywhere.

Turkish state-owned and private energy companies have directly invested in six gas and oil fields in southern and central Iraq and are major players in oil exploration efforts in Iraq’s Kurdistan region.
http://www.usip.org/files/resources/Turkish_Iranian_Competition.pdf

Excluding the oil sector, Turkey is the largest commercial investor in Iraq.
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/IDEAS/publications/reports/pdf/SR007/iraq.pdf

Some fucking idiots of the "I visited the region twice, I'm an expert"-type make again some adventurous claims.
So, we control some oil and gas-fields in Iraq, we're the biggest non-oil commercial investor in Iraq and we exert soft-power in Iraq with Iraqis being receptive to Turkish culture like TV and Popstars.
Turkey clearly a winner without loosing 4.400 soldiers in Iraq.

Get a reality check, dude.

While the United States invaded and occupied Iraq, losing more than 4,400 troops there, Turkey now exerts what may prove a more lasting legacy — so-called soft power, the assertion of influence through culture, education and business. (...)

Turkish state-owned and private energy companies have directly invested in six gas and oil fields in southern and central Iraq and are major players in oil exploration efforts in Iraq’s Kurdistan region.

Some fucking idiots of the "I visited the region twice, I'm an expert"-type make again some adventurous claims.
So, we control some oil and gas-fields in Iraq, we're the biggest non-oil commercial investor in Iraq and we exert soft-power in Iraq with Iraqis being receptive to Turkish culture like TV and Popstars.

So, Turkey is buying shares.... :lol:

That's part of the teet....

Yes, thank you for letting us do trade with one of our neighbours and letting us have a share of what USA leaves behind... Alms for the region's biggest economy (Turkey).
How generous you are... without you, we'd probably die of hunger and wouldn't have a role in Iraq's economy.

Fucking idiot.

Yes, thank you for letting us do trade with one of our neighbours and letting us have a share of what USA leaves behind... Alms for the region's biggest economy (Turkey).
How generous you are... without you, we'd probably die of hunger and wouldn't have a role in Iraq's economy.

Fucking idiot.

So, now you start swearing at someone who is not swearing at you.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/190133-wh-word-for-women-2.html#post4293045

^ Remember this ekrem?

Eat it. :)

I guarantee I know more about the region than you bitch, and if you clowns get around to invading Northern Iraq like you want you will easily lose more than 4,400 troops fighting the PKK, so go fuck yourself.

^^^ let alone the Peshemrga force consist of 200,000 and their heavily armed , not as much as puppet turks but well armed and trained , thanks to USA .

^^^ let alone the Peshemrga force consist of 200,000 and their heavily armed , not as much as puppet turks but well armed and trained , thanks to USA .
The Peshmerga will live up to their name, "those who face death", if they continue to destabilize southeastern Türkiye.

The Peshmerga will live up to their name, "those who face death", if they continue to destabilize southeastern Türkiye.

well to be honest they are not as strong as the turkish military as they are backed by US and sold modern weapon on a regular basis and Peshemrga of South Kurdistan wants enuff arms to protect from any hostile countries and it doesn't believe in taking back Northern kurdistan located in south east turkey by force otherwise we are not different than the turks but we prefer turkey gives our brothers in the north autonomy with the right to self-determination in the future if things continue to be like how they are for kurds in turkish state of turkey , which to this day its constitution denies 15 million kurdish population in its kurdish region .

Forum List

Back