Kofi's Legacy

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...F4AVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/01/03/wsudan03.xml

UN staff accused of raping children in Sudan

By Kate Holt in Juba and Sarah Hughes
Last Updated: 1:23pm GMT 03/01/2007

# In pictures: The vulnerable children of Sudan

The UN said today that it would launch an investigation after the Daily Telegraph reported allegations that UN personnel have abused children in southern Sudan.

A Sudanese child
Peacekeeping and civilian staff based in Juba are accused of picking up young children and forcing them to have sex

Members of the United Nations peacekeeping forces in southern Sudan are facing allegations of raping and abusing children as young as 12, The Daily Telegraph reported today.

The abuse allegedly began two years ago when the UN mission in southern Sudan (UNMIS) moved in to help rebuild the region after a 23-year civil war. The UN has up to 10,000 military personnel in the region, of all nationalities and the allegations involve peacekeepers, military police and civilian staff.

The first indications of possible sexual exploitation emerged within months of the UN force’s arrival and The Daily Telegraph has seen a draft of an internal report compiled by the UN children’s agency Unicef in July 2005 referring to the problem.

This paper has learnt of more than 20 victims’ accounts claiming that some peacekeeping and civilian staff based in the town are regularly picking up young children in their UN vehicles and forcing them to have sex. It is thought that hundreds of children may have been abused.
advertisement

"I was sitting by the river the first time it happened,” said Jonas, 14, one of more than 20 children who claimed they had been abused this way.

"A man in a white car drove past and asked me if I wanted to get into the car with him. I saw that the car was a UN car because it was white with the black letters on it. The man had a badge on his clothes. When he stopped the car, we got out, he put a blindfold on me and started to abuse me. It was painful and went on for a long time. When it was over we went back to the place we had been, and he pushed me out of the car and left."

Jonas now returns to the same place regularly in the hope of being picked up and paid something for his services. "I know it is a terrible thing to do but I see the UN cars around late at night by the drinking places and I sit there in the hope of being picked up. If I get 1000 SD ($3) a day then that is a good day.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070106/ap_on_re_eu/un_sex_abuse

"Sent home or fired", gee wouldn't prosecuted be a better idea?

U.N. investigated over 300 for sex abuse

By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer Sat Jan 6, 8:02 AM ET

UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations has investigated more than 300 members of U.N. peacekeeping missions for alleged sexual exploitation and abuse during the past three years and more than half were fired or sent home, according to a senior U.N. official. ..

Forum List

Back