Knesset Member Proposes Bill That Would ‘Annex the Jordan Valley Forever’

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
:cool:

In response to the continuation of negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, despite the recent escalation of terrorist activities in Judea and Samaria, Knesset Member Moti Yogev (Jewish Home) has presented a bill for Israel to annex the Jordan Valley, Israeli daily Ma’ariv reported on Friday.

Yogev’s bill has the support of MKs from right-wing parties, partners in Israel’s governing coalition, and even members of the left-leaning opposition.

Knesset Member Proposes Bill That Would 'Annex the Jordan Valley Forever' | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com

In response to the continuation of negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, despite the recent escalation of terrorist activities in Judea and Samaria, Knesset Member Moti Yogev (Jewish Home) has presented a bill for Israel to annex the Jordan Valley, Israeli daily Ma’ariv reported on Friday.

Yogev’s bill has the support of MKs from right-wing parties, partners in Israel’s governing coalition, and even members of the left-leaning opposition.

Knesset Member Proposes Bill That Would 'Annex the Jordan Valley Forever' | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com
From your link:

"An excerpt from the bill reads as follows: 'Over the course of years, a consensus has built around the Jordan Valley with respect to its importance to Israel,' Ma’ariv reports.

"In an apparent appeal to Israel’s political opposition, the bill asserts that the first, '…valley communities were established by the labor movement… any future political settlement must include the Jordan Valley remaining under Israeli sovereignty.'

"According to MK Yogev, 'Israel should decide to exercise dominion over this vast region, whose Palestinian [Arab] population is sparse, and openly state that the Jordan Valley will remain under Israeli sovereignty forever.'”

How sparse is the Palestinian population in the Jordan Valley?

1922-mandate_for_palestine.jpg

Consolidation and mop-up operations continue...

Tick... tick... tick...

Last edited:

From your link:

"An excerpt from the bill reads as follows: 'Over the course of years, a consensus has built around the Jordan Valley with respect to its importance to Israel,' Ma’ariv reports.

"In an apparent appeal to Israel’s political opposition, the bill asserts that the first, '…valley communities were established by the labor movement… any future political settlement must include the Jordan Valley remaining under Israeli sovereignty.'

"According to MK Yogev, 'Israel should decide to exercise dominion over this vast region, whose Palestinian [Arab] population is sparse, and openly state that the Jordan Valley will remain under Israeli sovereignty forever.'”

How sparse is the Palestinian population in the Jordan Valley?

Israel will keep what it needs for it's security

Tick... tick... tick...
"Some 47,000 Palestinians live in the Palestinian part of the valley that lies in the West Bank in about twenty permanent communities, among them the city of Jericho; thousands more, largely Bedouins, live in temporary communities.[3]

"About 11,000 Israelis live in 17 villages that form part of the Emek HaYarden Regional Council in Israel.[4] An additional 7,500 live in twenty-six Israeli settlements and five Nahal brigade encampments that have been established in the occupied West Bank since the 1970s."

Jewish state or Apartheid state...?

Jordan Valley (Middle East) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tick... tick... tick...
"Some 47,000 Palestinians live in the Palestinian part of the valley that lies in the West Bank in about twenty permanent communities, among them the city of Jericho; thousands more, largely Bedouins, live in temporary communities.[3]

"About 11,000 Israelis live in 17 villages that form part of the Emek HaYarden Regional Council in Israel.[4] An additional 7,500 live in twenty-six Israeli settlements and five Nahal brigade encampments that have been established in the occupied West Bank since the 1970s."

That would qualify as "sparsely populated" Like I said Israel will hold on to all the land it needs for it's security.

Tick... tick... tick...

That would qualify as "sparsely populated" Like I said Israel will hold on to all the land it needs for it's security.
Would you expect those Arabs of voting age among the 47,000 Palestinians would be allowed to participate in Israeli election?

Would you expect those Arabs of voting age among the 47,000 Palestinians would be allowed to participate in Israeli election?

Sure if annexed

For defense, it makes sense.
As a tool in negotiations, it might motivate Abbas to get what he can for the palestinin people or loose more through violence.
Israel would have to be part of any security along the Jordan.
Politically to even threaten to annex so much land is dangerous.
If jews with to live there, they should be offered palestinian citizenship, but the palestiian government would also be responsible for their protection from fanatics.

By the way... how real is this? (how much chance does this bill have of passing the Knesset?)

I don't know, but it should. The Golan heights was annexed
In 1967 when most of the world still believed Jews were the "good guys in Palestine.

Actually, the Golan was not annexed until 1981. I was living in Israel at the time, and I remember it being big news then. Of course, the world doesn't recognize the annexation anyways.

In 1967 when most of the world still believed Jews were the "good guys in Palestine.

Actually, the Golan was not annexed until 1981. I was living in Israel at the time, and I remember it being big news then. Of course, the world doesn't recognize the annexation anyways.

Who cares? it is what it is, Israel needs it. Is it better the butcher of Damascus has it?

How do you think the world would (or should) react today if Israel annexes the Jordan Valley?

How do you think the world would (or should) react today if Israel annexes the Jordan Valley?
The world won't do bopkess.

The main problem is Iran. Jordan is friendly to Israel and the West, but Israel is apprehensive about Iran taking over Jordan, and presenting a problem for Israel. That's why Israel needs the Jordan Valley as a buffer zone. If Israel doesn't annex it, then for sure international troops will be stationed there.

Your are right.
The world will do boycott.

Would you care to put yourself in some Palestinian footwear and tell us how you would react when Jews forcibly transfer you from land your family has lived on longer than the Jewish state has been in existence?

The main problem is Iran. Jordan is friendly to Israel and the West, but Israel is apprehensive about Iran taking over Jordan, and presenting a problem for Israel. That's why Israel needs the Jordan Valley as a buffer zone. If Israel doesn't annex it, then for sure international troops will be stationed there.

There will never be international troops in Israel. Just as Jerusalem will not be split.

What's the point anyway? Lets keep it real... Shall we

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwbkXLJ-eQ&]"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwbkXLJ-eQ&][/ame]

According to a recent article by Jonathan Cook, NATO troops under US command were slated to provide security in the Jordan Valley after implementation of a two-state solution. Apparently this was decided at Annapolis in 2007; however, Wiki makes no mention of it, and it appears the IDF will continue its presence there even if such an agreement ever comes into existence.

Forum List

Back