saveliberty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
I apologize if this has been posted on before.

Mrs. Liberty has knee surgery tomorrow. I have no idea how much it will cost. Why?

If I took a car into the shop, they are required by law to give me an estimate. Any deviation from that has to be documented and approved prior to the work being done. I pay the same whether I have an extended warranty or cash. I can compare the quality of work by the shop to others through the BBB. I can look up comparative costs of parts online.

So why no doctor service quality rating services? Competitive pricing online? Why doesn't Blue Cross Blue Shield ask me to fill out a customer service questionnaire?

If you want to reduce medical costs, allow consumers better access to more information.

Mrs. Liberty has knee surgery tomorrow. I have no idea how much it will cost. Why?

If I took a car into the shop, they are required by law to give me an estimate. Any deviation from that has to be documented and approved prior to the work being done. I pay the same whether I have an extended warranty or cash. I can compare the quality of work by the shop to others through the BBB. I can look up comparative costs of parts online.

So why no doctor service quality rating services? Competitive pricing online? Why doesn't Blue Cross Blue Shield ask me to fill out a customer service questionnaire?

If you want to reduce medical costs, allow consumers better access to more information.
I suppose they like keeping it quiet that they're charging $100 for a bandaid when you're in the hospital. Complications or unanticipated problems could bring the cost of a routine procedure up a lot (Not that it will happen to Mrs. Liberty--I don't mean that). I heard someone on one of the news shows talking about what you're proposing just the other day. It makes sense, although where I live, there's only one hospital near home and one guy who does knee surgery, so the competition thing goes out the window. Still, it's a good thing to know.

Obviously they can't wake you up during heart surgery and ask if its okay to fix something unforeseen. :lol:

Still realistically, they know a range of a level two knee ligament tear cost, which surgeons have the best success rates and the like.

My pneumonia last year was managed by me. $367 total after insurance cost to me. I used an urgent care clinic and asked which treatments were best and the costs.

I had ACL reconstruction and some microscopic surgery on my ligaments when I was in my late teens from playing football.
Hope everything goes well, my man! Take good care of her. That's a bad spot to have surgery.
Oh, I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't cheap. Luckily, I had AFLAC to help me out.

I had ACL reconstruction and some microscopic surgery on my ligaments when I was in my late teens from playing football.
Hope everything goes well, my man! Take good care of her. That's a bad spot to have surgery.
Oh, I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't cheap. Luckily, I had AFLAC to help me out.

I am going with $2,900 total between the new annual deductible and copay. Apparently takes 30 minutes.

I am going with $2,900 total between the new annual deductible and copay. Apparently takes 30 minutes.
What kind of surgery is it, if you don't mind me asking?

The doc that did my surgery fled to Memphis about a month after my surgery. He was getting sought out for malpractice.
About a year after my surgery, I really messed my knee up. I went to a sport doctor and they did all kinds of tests and such. Apparently, the guy never actually fixed my ligaments. He just went into my knee and made it look like it. No joke!
He is in prison right now, last I heard. Hope the fucker rots.
Needless to say, I still haven't got it fixed. But I need to. Im starting to get arthritis in my knee :(

Torn meniscus with some arthritis clean up. From what I understand there are four levels of tears. Level one they let heal itself usually. Level two requires surgery, but not as bad as level three or four. Four is generally considered unrepairable.

Torn meniscus with some arthritis clean up. From what I understand there are four levels of tears. Level one they let heal itself usually. Level two requires surgery, but not as bad as level three or four. Four is generally considered unrepairable.
meniscus. That was part of my problem as well. Apparently, that guy really did some damage..
I think that would just be microscopic surgery. If so, yes, it shouldn't take that long.
Good luck!

A coworker of mine had both knees replaced (one at a time) and she was completely back on her feet without cane or limping many weeks sooner than had been predicted because she was a bear about doing the physical therapy. She said it hurt a lot but she never skipped her exercises at home and really pushed. So tell Mrs. Liberty that.

meniscus. That was part of my problem as well. Apparently, that guy really did some damage..
I think that would just be microscopic surgery. If so, yes, it shouldn't take that long.
Good luck!

I am a little nervous, its my first knee surgery and Mrs. Liberty is pretty insistent it go well. Been practicing with the drain snake. ;)

Good luck!
You could probably sue him for malpractice, TN, and get a pretty downpayment on whatever surgery is facing you in the future. Once he's out of prison, that is.

images

Best wishes to Mrs Liberty.

*****SMILE*****

:)

A coworker of mine had both knees replaced (one at a time) and she was completely back on her feet without cane or limping many weeks sooner than had been predicted because she was a bear about doing the physical therapy. She said it hurt a lot but she never skipped her exercises at home and really pushed. So tell Mrs. Liberty that.

Suppose to stay off it for three days. We bought crutches. Then it is back to normal from what they tell us. They say my recovery time is twice as long as Mrs. Liberty's The bills do take forever.

Last edited:

Blame a industry that's hell fire bent on profits.

Good luck!
You could probably sue him for malpractice, TN, and get a pretty downpayment on whatever surgery is facing you in the future. Once he's out of prison, that is.
Im sure I could. Especially with evidence from the Sport doctor. Probably isn't worth it, to be honest.

Suppose to stay off it for three days. We bought crutches. Then it is back to normal from what they tell us.
Good deal!
I was out of work for like 2 months lol.

Getting back to the OP, we make repairs to our vehicles all nice and legal, yet work on people and its a black hole of information communication. Hundreds of dollars on cars, yet thousands on patients and we have no idea.

Suppose to stay off it for three days. We bought crutches. Then it is back to normal from what they tell us. They say my recovery time is twice as long as Mrs. Liberty's The bills do take forever.
You two are having knee surgery at the same time? I missed that. Both do your PT, then.

Forum List

Back