Kitchen Grease

BTW, Mr. P... any tips on how to make chicken fried steak a little more tender? Mine always comes out too tough.

Nienna said:
The cooking grease build-up in the kitchen drives me crazy. I've tried Dawn, Soft Scrub, and even GooGone (which I was afraid to use on the wood cabinets). Yesterday, my husband brought this stuff in from the garage...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megu...hZ019QQitemZ7973194684QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Worked great! Thought I'd pass that along. :)
Did it work on the cabinets? I checked out the shipping, nearly double the cost. Checked Amazon and doesn't qualify for free shipping either. Maybe I can find it at an autoparts store?

On the grease problem…I use ammonia diluted with water 50/50 in a spray bottle. It works great and it’s cheap!

On the chicken fried steak, I'm afraid it's all in what type meat you buy.
Now you could always pound it a bit before hand, that may help.
What type meat are you buying?

Mr. P said:
On the grease problem…I use ammonia diluted with water 50/50 in a spray bottle. It works great and it’s cheap!

I don't think I can use ammonia, no matter the dilution, on wood?

It works on wood, and you can get it at Autozone or Pep Boys, or any car supply store, my husband said.

Mr. P said:

Just sirloins.

Nienna and Mr. P, thanks to you both! As we write, my son is in the midst of removing wall paper and preparing surfaces in the kitchen. Since he couldn't be bothered to move the table as he worked, the table and chairs and free standing shelving are in my living room. It's just lovely here. :fifty:

A bonus point to this living hades, I can clean surfaces pretty easily! So again, thanks.

Nienna said:
No, just plain sirloins... round steak, maybe? :dunno:

I assume this is a part of the problem. :(

Here's mine, (I make about once a year):

Chicken-Fried Steak

1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 (2 pound) top round steak, cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup saltine cracker crumbs, rolled fine
1 cup chicken stock

Combine the 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper. Dust steak with seasoned flour and pound well into both sides of meat with edge of heavy plate. Cut meat into serving-size pieces.

Beat eggs with the 2 tablespoons cream.

Heat lard or oil in heavy cast iron skillet over moderately high heat. Dip floured steaks in egg mixture, then in cracker crumbs. Brown steaks well on both sides. Reduce heat to medium, cover skillet and cook 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until steaks are cooked through and tender. (Chicken fried steak should be well done, but not dry.)

Remove steaks from pan and drain on paper towels. Keep warm.

To make gravy, pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat in skillet and stir in remaining 3 tablespoons flour. Stir to remove any brown bits in bottom of pan and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cream to form thick paste, then add chicken stock slowly, stirring to make smooth gravy.

New Topics

Forum List

Back