King Crimson

S.J.

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2012
So. Cal.
A terribly underrated band that created some fantastic music back when the synthesizer was making it's debut. Robert Fripp on guitar and Greg Lake on vocals, yeah those were the days.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt-7y_mkgA0]King Crimson " In the Wake of Poseidon" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqwCdkC7Rw]King Crimson - Fallen Angel [instrumental] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGiKEF_usb0]King Crimson - The Sheltering Sky (Live 1982) - YouTube[/ame]

A terribly underrated band that created some fantastic music back when the synthesizer was making it's debut. Robert Fripp on guitar and Greg Lake on vocals, yeah those were the days.

King Crimson " In the Wake of Poseidon" - YouTube

King Crimson was an incredible mind fuck for this li'l high school boy way back then...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOYD9AkqHE]King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King (In the Court of the Crimson King) - YouTube[/ame]

Who "underrated" them?

They've always been a musician's musician band.

While they never were mega wealthy..I kind of think they were happy with their trajectory.

Some bands just like being able to play and have a life.

Fripp in the corner. You would not believe it. Massey Hall. In TO.

He's in the corner just wailing away. I have no other way to explain it. He's just in the corner playing away.

And all of us just sitting there just witnessing it. How do you describe an evening with Robert Fripp?

I'm trying the best to tell you. But I can't begin to tell you.

Who "underrated" them?

While they never were mega wealthy..I kind of think they were happy with their trajectory.

Underrated isn't the correct term. I think they didn't get the recognition they deserved. It seemed like (back then) whenever I played their music for friends, they had never heard of them. They knew about ELP and Yes but not King Crimson. Many people still don't know who they are. I thought (and still do) that Fripp was/is one of the most innovative guitarists in the business but who got all the attention? Clapton, Page, Walsh, etc. Fripp is every bit as good as those guys if not better.

Who "underrated" them?

Underrated isn't the correct term. I think they didn't get the recognition they deserved. It seemed like (back then) whenever I played their music for friends, they had never heard of them. They knew about ELP and Yes but not King Crimson. Many people still don't know who they are. I thought (and still do) that Fripp was/is one of the most innovative guitarists in the business but who got all the attention? Clapton, Page, Walsh, etc. Fripp is every bit as good as those guys if not better.

KC burned bright years before ELP and Yes came on the scene...

I guess folks weren't ready for their kinda stuff back in the late 60's...

btw, imho, ELP and Yes were fuckin' lame-ass pussies compared to KC...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIbpt-CCTY]21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson [HQ Sound] - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
You have to go to Fripp.

He was unreal. When I watched him play I just remember sitting there and my brain exploding with sound. I don't know how else to describe him.

He was just in that little corner of Massey Hall by himself playing.

Saying Fripp took my breath away is to lie.

I stood there just stood there as did the rest of us in amazement. I'd love for other players to come out and credit him.

Who "underrated" them?

KC burned bright years before ELP and Yes came on the scene...

I guess folks weren't ready for their kinda stuff back in the late 60's...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIbpt-CCTY]21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson [HQ Sound] - YouTube[/ame]
I agree, people weren't ready for 'em. I remember hearing something about Keith Emerson originally being in the group but there was some kind of conflict between him and Robert Fripp. I've often wondered what they would have sounded like together.

You have to go to Fripp.

He was unreal. When I watched him play I just remember sitting there and my brain exploding with sound. I don't know how else to describe him.

He was just in that little corner of Massey Hall by himself playing.
Never saw Fripp in person. That must have been an experience.

Who "underrated" them?

I was in a rock band for a long time in the way back.

Every musician I've met always mentions King Crimson as one of their faves.

Definitely one of the most influential bands, ever. And to this day..

Who "underrated" them?

I was in a rock band for a long time in the way back.

Every musician I've met always mentions King Crimson as one of their faves.

Definitely one of the most influential bands, ever. And to this day..
Agreed.

That is your opinion because you haven't a clue about music. Bill Bruford has funny commentary on playing in King Crimson.

[youtube]j-f0P7-fxUQ[/youtube]

Last edited:

That is your opinion because you haven't a clue about music. Bill Bruford has funny commentary on playing in King Crimson.

[youtube]j-f0P7-fxUQ[/youtube]

lol... 'k... yeah sure... I'm fuckin' clueless about music...

I'm sure everyone in here will agree with that... :)

tell him Bill....i have been in a few threads with this guy....geezus.....

Forum List

Back