Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Home | Campaign for Cursive

Campaign for Cursive
Proof that learning cursive makes you smarter
INTELLIGENCE AND THE LOST ART OF CURSIVE WRITING
By Dr. David Sortino

Most children are taught to print the first few years of grade school and, depending on the school, either they stay with printing throughout their school careers or they are also taught cursive, usually in second or third grade.
Is learning cursive still important in an age of texting and email?

Tip/Wag - Campaign for Cursive & The RNC - The Colbert Report - 2013-04-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Should we keep teaching cursive?

I don't think it matters much anymore, if it ever did. Apparently though, some disagree.

My daughter is 14 and I was shocked when she told me a few years ago that they dont teach cursive anymore. I rememebr her getting her "Cursive License" in like 3rd grade or somehitn but it just isnt taught anymore. Neither is telling time on a clock. Everythign is digital so they dont feel they need to teach it anymore. Sad to say that my daughter actually has to think when she stares at a clock.

I think it matters...I mean even for your signature.

Cursive sucks....I haven't used it in 47 years other than my signature

Things no longer taught in schools

Cursive
Roman Numerals
Dewey Decimal System
Shorthand

Writing will become one of those class divisions. A well educated person will know how to write. The poorly educated won't be able to write their name. Just like it used to be. People did not always know how to write. The elite's could write. It was reserved to the nobility. Writing will become knowledge of the wealthy.

Writing will become one of those class divisions. A well educated person will know how to write. The poorly educated won't be able to write their name. Just like it used to be. People did not always know how to write. The elite's could write. It was reserved to the nobility. Writing will become knowledge of the wealthy.

I must be wicked smaht then.

Someday there will be writing clubs where people trade information on handwritten notes. These will be discriminatory and exclusive.

There's a high school a block away. Every day after school trucks selling ice cream, ice cones and candy line up to peddle their stuff to the kids. The ice cream truck is a white panel truck. The other day three girls were trying to flag down a white panel truck going by. The truck didn't stop. It kept going. The girls were bemused because the ice cream truck didn't stop as usual. I asked them "Did you think the truck was the ice cream truck?" Yes, they did. It looked just like the ice cream truck. On the side, in HUGE letters were the words "Santa Rosa Produce Company". I pointed that out. One of the girls said "We can't read! They should make that truck a different color."

High school girls. Cannot read.

Home | Campaign for Cursive

Campaign for Cursive
Proof that learning cursive makes you smarter
INTELLIGENCE AND THE LOST ART OF CURSIVE WRITING
By Dr. David Sortino

Most children are taught to print the first few years of grade school and, depending on the school, either they stay with printing throughout their school careers or they are also taught cursive, usually in second or third grade.
Is learning cursive still important in an age of texting and email?

Tip/Wag - Campaign for Cursive & The RNC - The Colbert Report - 2013-04-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Should we keep teaching cursive?

I don't think it matters much anymore, if it ever did. Apparently though, some disagree.

yes, becasue cursive is the fastest way of writing.

plus it is a combinational training of the young brain on motor and cognitive abilities

Students in the United States made scant headway on recent global achievement exams and slipped deeper in the international rankings amid fast-growing competition abroad, according to test results released Tuesday.

American teens scored below the international average in math and roughly average in science and reading, compared against dozens of other countries that participated in the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), which was administered last fall.

Vietnam, which had its students take part in the exam for the first time, had a higher average score in math and science than the United States. Students in Shanghai — China's largest city with upwards of 20 million people — ranked best in the world, according to the test results. Students in East Asian countries and provinces came out on top, nabbing seven of the top 10 places across all three subjects.

US teens lag in global education rankings as Asian countries rise to the top - U.S. News

Cursive sucks....I haven't used it in 47 years other than my signature

it is not cursive that sucks, it is you who suck at cursive.

Most males do, I have no idea WHY.

My handwriting was not that bad....my printing was awesome

It was around sixth grade that I figured out I got better grades by printing than using script

I asked them "Did you think the truck was the ice cream truck?" Yes, they did. It looked just like the ice cream truck. On the side, in HUGE letters were the words "Santa Rosa Produce Company". I pointed that out. One of the girls said "We can't read! They should make that truck a different color."

I submit this is complete bullshit, just like all the other tales you've been caught spinning on these forums.

Are there meds to help with being a compulsive liar?

I asked them "Did you think the truck was the ice cream truck?" Yes, they did. It looked just like the ice cream truck. On the side, in HUGE letters were the words "Santa Rosa Produce Company". I pointed that out. One of the girls said "We can't read! They should make that truck a different color."

I submit this is complete bullshit, just like all the other tales you've been caught spinning on these forums.

Two year olds can't read....yet they know what an ice cream truck looks like

And there's really no difference between high school students and two year olds. High school students are just bigger. Otherwise they are equal. Maybe a two year old would have thought a white panel truck was an ice cream truck too! Clearly the wording on the truck was too advanced. It should have said "B 4" and a picture of a head of lettucel

Why is it that high school students cannot read the writing on a truck? Could they have read it if it had been in block letters? 80% of high school students in New York cannot read.

80% of New York High School Grads Can?t Read Despite Being No. 1 in School Spending | FrontPage Magazine

Then we have real world consequences as a couple of thieves are going to die, or have already died, terrible deaths because they could not read "radioactive materials".

Let's just all pretend none of this exists and support students who not only can't read, but see no benefit in writing either. America, the illiterate. What a post script!!

And there's really no difference between high school students and two year olds. High school students are just bigger. Otherwise they are equal. Maybe a two year old would have thought a white panel truck was an ice cream truck too! Clearly the wording on the truck was too advanced. It should have said "B 4" and a picture of a head of lettucel

Why is it that high school students cannot read the writing on a truck? Could they have read it if it had been in block letters? 80% of high school students in New York cannot read.

80% of New York High School Grads Can?t Read Despite Being No. 1 in School Spending | FrontPage Magazine

Then we have real world consequences as a couple of thieves are going to die, or have already died, terrible deaths because they could not read "radioactive materials".

Let's just all pretend none of this exists and support students who not only can't read, but see no benefit in writing either. America, the illiterate. What a post script!!

Still sounds like a bullshit story

We know...you are trying to convince everyone that High School kids are so dumb they can't figure our what an ice cream truck looks like

And as a NY State High School grad I also call bullshit on any story that says 80% of the graduates can't read

Last edited:
I think it's kind of important that people know how to read and write English. but what do I know?

New Topics

Forum List

Back