Kentucky Snakes

Confederate Soldier

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2021
Southerner trapped in a yankee state
I love snakes very much. I've been handling them since I was about 5 or 6, even the 6ft. black snakes. I even like catching Copperheads sometimes, I don't care. Here are some snakes I've had the opportunity to photograph here in Kentucky.

DSC_09711.jpg
snek.jpg
snek2.jpg
snek3.jpg
Snake6.jpg
Snake5.jpg
snake1.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg
image_62735.jpg

Yeah a little too close to them copperheads for me. I leave them be so they leave me be (though I have very rarely encountered one). I have quite a few snakes around me though living next to the woods with a surface water supply. Mostly garters and blacks as for the bigger ones, but some various rats snakes, an occasional green, and 10 billion ground/earth snakes.

I love snakes very much. I've been handling them since I was about 5 or 6, even the 6ft. black snakes. I even like catching Copperheads sometimes, I don't care. Here are some snakes I've had the opportunity to photograph here in Kentucky.

View attachment 514862View attachment 514866View attachment 514867View attachment 514868View attachment 514871View attachment 514872View attachment 514873View attachment 514876View attachment 514877
Cool. I grew up catching handling and learning about snake in Western Kentucky, also. I spent a summer, running the nature hut for the Four River Counsel at the camp on Kentucky lake. The scouts loved handling snakes. I caught, kept and displayed, but did not let them handle the copper head or rattle snake. Good times!

View attachment 514862View attachment 514866View attachment 514867View attachment 514868View attachment 514871View attachment 514872View attachment 514873View attachment 514876View attachment 514877
St Patrick got rid of all ours. There are no snakes in Ireland. Snakes and man don't mix!

i played with him until he turned around to face me and coiled up :lol:
Most of those are practically harmless, thow having rows of small teeth that can bring blood if you corner them and piss them off. Others can really become quite friendly and entertaining. You should avoid handling after they have just eaten, as it can upset them no matter how friend and accustomed to being picked up and handled. They become irritable, will snap at you to have you back off, and probably regurgitate the mouse you just fed them. They don't eat or have to eat often, but want to be left alone to digest their meal when they do.

Most of those are practically harmless, thow having rows of small teeth that can bring blood if you corner them and piss them off. Others can really become quite friendly and entertaining. You should avoid handling after they have just eaten, as it can upset them no matter how friend and accustomed to being picked up and handled. They become irritable, will snap at you to have you back off, and probably regurgitate the mouse you just fed them. They don't eat or have to eat often, but want to be left alone to digest their meal when they do.
rattlesnakes are not harmless lol

rattlesnakes are not harmless lol
Definitely. I did not let the scouts handle or feed the two poisonous snakes, the camp commissioner and I caught, bare handed. They were relatively small. I have been known to kill larger pit vipers when there was really no way around it, when climbing on scout outings.

If I see a venomous snake around the camp or my home I kill them.
If I'm out in the woods hunting I just give them a wide berth.
I have done both, even relocating near the house. Sometimes, even out in the back country, you cannot give them a wide berth. Killed an eastern diamond back on a high rock ledge above the Cumberland River, when he went into fight mode to stand his ground. Neither one of us really had any good way to go, so he had to go, anyway. Hated it, as I was in the snake's natural environment, and it was a good-looking healthy but very dangerous critter of decent size. I was climbing, not hiking and didn't have a safe way around or to deal with him except kill it, knock it off the side and continue.

The small ones have the most potent venom. I've been bitten by copperheads several times; made me a little queasy and ran a fever for a while the first couple of times, then just pissed off at having to treat the holes their fangs left in my legs, no venom reactions. We used to go the rattlesnake hunts out around Strawn, Tx. every year. The area was infested with zillions of them. They would catch most of them alive and put them in an arena and people would walk around among them. A few were cooked in a smoker. They do 'taste like chicken', if you're into eating crappy chicken instead of the good farm fed ones. Mostly they were made into hat bands or belts.

Forum List

Back