Keir Starmer facing pressure to end silence on Tory Brexit failures

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

The issue is that tory incompetence over covid is obscuring tory incompetence over brexit. I supported Starmer as a unifying force but his performance has been lack lustre. This is the worst government in history and yet they are level or ahead in the polls.

There is no election any time soon so perhaps it is not an urgent issue but being a "constructive opposition" is not winning him any friends

His heart is in the right place and he has integrity, but he needs to be stamping on Johnsons neck a lot more. It would also help him win round the labour left who see him as a red tory. There is a lot of work to do.

Biden thrashed trump just by being normal and civilised. I dont think that is enough here.

I would have listened to scientific advice. At every stage the tories dithered in imposing lockdowns and more people died.

I would have ensured that patients being released into care homes had been tested and were not spreading the virus.

I would have ensured that the country always had an adequate supply of respirators and PPE and not allow it to run down.

I would have bought the PPE from recognised companies and not from newly set up companies linked to their friends and relatives.

I would not have allowed people into the country without adequate testing and quarantine. Its taken them over a year to realise that was a good idea.

I would have introduced a proper test and trace programme and got the local councils to run it rather than some private agency run by somebody who had previously worked for a phone company. She was married to a tory MP so that must be a qualification.

I would have set an example myself and immediately sacked anybody in the government who failed to do so.

I would have ensured that all children had laptops and access to the internet.

I would have replaced the Ministers who were shown to lack competence, Hancock,Williamson,Whately,Jenrick and so on. I would probably look to go cross party on this and bring in competent experienced people.

I would not have listened to the crazy anti maskers sitting behind me and driven me into foolish acts.

I would have acted with integrity and announced the true death rates.

I would not have made the lockdowns so fucking complicated so that nobody really understood what they were supposed to be doing. As an example you could meet with 6 friends in the pub but if they came to your house they would have to sit in the garden.

I would not have spent 10 years undermining the NHS so that it was short of capacity and staff.

I would not have pursued a ruinous brexit and driven European medical staff out of our hospitals when we needed more not less.

I would have ensured that businesses and people were financially protected whilst this was going on. Poor people have died in greater numbers because they cant work from home as easily or at all.

I would not have given folk a voucher for half price meals in the middle of a pandemic and pack people into confined spaces.

I would have ensured that poor kids unable to go to school were still covered by free school meals.

I would also have ensured support for foodbanks which have become such an integral part of Conservative Britain.

Those arent with the benefit of hindsight.These are things that folk were shouting about at the time. Many good businesses have gone under. The money we will now have to spend in supporting the unemployed might have been better spent supporting them, and their employers. till they could go back to their jobs.

Soss
I would have listened to scientific advice. At every stage the tories dithered in imposing lockdowns and more people died.

I would have ensured that patients being released into care homes had been tested and were not spreading the virus.

I would have ensured that the country always had an adequate supply of respirators and PPE and not allow it to run down.

I would have bought the PPE from recognised companies and not from newly set up companies linked to their friends and relatives.

I would not have allowed people into the country without adequate testing and quarantine. Its taken them over a year to realise that was a good idea.

I would have introduced a proper test and trace programme and got the local councils to run it rather than some private agency run by somebody who had previously worked for a phone company. She was married to a tory MP so that must be a qualification.

I would have set an example myself and immediately sacked anybody in the government who failed to do so.

I would have replaced the Ministers who were shown to lack competence, Hancock,Williamson,Whately,Jenrick and so on. I would probably look to go cross party on this and bring in competent experienced people.

I would not have listened to the crazy anti maskers sitting behind me and driven me into foolish acts.

I would not have made the lockdowns so fucking complicated so that nobody really understood what they were supposed to be doing. As an example you could meet with 6 friends in the pub but if they came to your house they would have to sit in the garden.

I would not have spent 10 years undermining the NHS so that it was short of capacity and staff.

I would not have pursued a ruinous brexit and driven European medical staff out of our hospitals when we needed more not less.

I would have ensured that businesses and people were financially protected whilst this was going on. Poor people have died in greater numbers because they cant work from home as easily or at all.

I would not have given folk a voucher for half price meals in the middle of a pandemic and pack people into confined spaces.

I would have ensured that poor kids unable to go to school were still covered by free school meals.

I would also have ensured support for foodbanks which have become such an integral part of Conservative Britain.

Those arent with the benefit of hindsight.These are things that folk were shouting about at the time. Many good businesses have gone under. The money we will now have to spend in supporting the unemployed might have been better spent supporting them, and their employers. till they could go back to their jobs.
So you'd basically destroy thr economy, and put your grandchildren in slavery debt over a bad flu.
As for Brexit, the EU sent 6 billion euros to Trukey in Spring 2020, and sent NADA to Italy and Spain.
Ask, the Italians if they were any better in the EU during the chinavirus.

Soss

So you'd basically destroy thr economy, and put your grandchildren in slavery debt over a bad flu.
As for Brexit, the EU sent 6 billion euros to Trukey in Spring 2020, and sent NADA to Italy and Spain.
Oh dear. You are a thick fucker.

Soss

Your solution would cause more deaths globaly than the China Virus.

Soss

You have to tell me what to make of the fact that the Bank of England says that the UK economy is going to shrink by 4.2% in just the first three months of this year. Are you planning a victory garden or looting your neighbors pantry? God I love Brexit.

Soss

You have to tell me what to make of the fact that the Bank of England says that the UK economy is going to shrink by 4.2% in just the first three months of this year. Are you planning a victory garden or looting your neighbors pantry? God I love Brexit.

I think that looks optimistic. The corporate UK is moving to the continent and we already know that Amsterdam has overtaken \London as Europes financial centre. There is literally a new story every day about business moving to the continent but nothing coming back.

This is an example of the problems faced by many businesses. Exports down by 68% since Brexit.

We are the sick man of europe. Covid mismanagement has seen us have the highest death rates and the worst economic performance.

Soss

Your solution would cause more deaths globaly than the China Virus.
I cant argue with such a detailed and well argued post.

Soss

I think that looks optimistic. The corporate UK is moving to the continent and we already know that Amsterdam has overtaken \London as Europes financial centre. There is literally a new story every day about business moving to the continent but nothing coming back.

This is an example of the problems faced by many businesses. Exports down by 68% since Brexit.

We are the sick man of europe. Covid mismanagement has seen us have the highest death rates and the worst economic performance.

I feel bad for Scotland and Northern Ireland but have to believe that given the fact that England and Wales voted for Brexit it's what you wanted. I sincerely hope that Northern Ireland uses this as a reason to reunite with the Republic of Ireland and that Scotland becomes independent. That would allow England and Wales to form a smaller but far more "United" Kingdom. The Welsh and English deserve each other.

Soss

All economies are projected to shrink due to the China virus.
The same people who think Brexit will be bad for the economy are the same who thought keeping sterling would be bad,
Economic illiterates mainly.

Soss

The same people who think Brexit will be bad for the economy are the same who thought keeping sterling would be bad,

I don't think it's due to the China virus but rather the fear that has been projected regarding the virus. The people who are at risk - the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions should have been advised to isolate themselves from others. The rest should have continued as usual.

Soss

I don't think it's due to the China virus but rather the fear that has been projected regarding the virus. The people who are at risk - the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions should have been advised to isolate themselves from others. The rest should have continued as usual.

I agree. The Lockdown is the reason for the slump in the economy. Not Brexit.

Soss

I agree. The Lockdown is the reason for the slump in the economy. Not Brexit.

I thanked you not because I agree with your statement that covid and not Brexit is responsible for the downturn in the UK but because you share your opinions in a way that allows for a discussion and not a one-sided rant. Pretty rare on this board.

Soss

That is simplistic nonsense.

Exports down 68% - Down to Brexit. Its complicated and labour intensive to export to Europe. There is no alternate market for a lot of these goods and many companies have given up or are setting up outlets in Europe.
Irish sea border - Northern Ireland is being treated as a foreign country by British companies because it isnt worth their trouble.

Where are the benefits ? Where are the new markets ? Where will growth in our economy come from ?

Soss

Exports down 68% - Down to Brexit. Its complicated and labour intensive to export to Europe. There is no alternate market for a lot of these goods and many companies have given up or are setting up outlets in Europe.
Irish sea border - Northern Ireland is being treated as a foreign country by British companies because it isnt worth their trouble.

Where are the benefits ? Where are the new markets ? Where will growth in our economy come from ?

And the Welsh voted for Brexit. Enjoy it.

Soss

It's way too early to guage how the economy will turn out for any country in Europe during these turbulent times.
Greece, Spain and Italy have seen alomst zero growth in the last ten years.
Spain had 4% unemployment under Franco and hit 28% under the EU.
Greece?? I'm sure as a Euro leftist, I don't have to explain to you how they are getting on.
As for the Republic of Ireland, it's one of the most indebted nations on Earth. Around 60k per man woman and child.
Meanwhile the strongest economies in Europe are those Nations who never joined in the first place.

The issue is that tory incompetence over covid is obscuring tory incompetence over brexit. I supported Starmer as a unifying force but his performance has been lack lustre. This is the worst government in history and yet they are level or ahead in the polls.

There is no election any time soon so perhaps it is not an urgent issue but being a "constructive opposition" is not winning him any friends

His heart is in the right place and he has integrity, but he needs to be stamping on Johnsons neck a lot more. It would also help him win round the labour left who see him as a red tory. There is a lot of work to do.

Biden thrashed trump just by being normal and civilised. I dont think that is enough here.
good!

Forum List

Back