KC v Buffalo may be the game of the year.

The biggest thing IMO that needs to happen is Buffalo needs to shore up its running game. Give Allen some new targets and give his own legs a breather.

They're going to get Allen hurt designing plays for him to run like that! The defenses will start to punish him as a runner! He's a big guy with more moving parts to get injured being as bulky as he is compared to Mahomes! :stir: :itsok::auiqs.jpg::springbed:

Making the players play longer. It's already a very dangerous sport to play. Gets sloppy and more dangerous after 4 quarters.
Historically, playing a fifth quarter would not have added too many opportunities for injuries over and beyond 60 minutes of football. For example, In 2002, there were 25 games (a record) in the season that went into an overtime period. So to an 18 week season...that would add 250 minutes of football--4 hours and 10 minutes. In 2003, the Panthers had 5 overtime games (a record for one team). So with history as a guide, the most you'll be exposed to is 5 extra quarters over a season. Not super hazardous.

Also noteworthy is that since nobody is playing "ironman" football any longer, of that extra five quarters...no player will be on the field for more than 2.5 of them on average.

I get that it's dangerous so I'm happy to get rid of kick offs and punts. Start each drive after a score in OT on the 25 and simply count each punt as 50 yards if you want to get rid of the high impact plays where someone runs a 30-60 yard sprint and launches themselves at a receiver of a kick.

I like what the guy on tv said. Keep the rule the same in the regular season but change it in the playoffs. Yea, it's bullshit a coin toss cost the Bills the game. It's BULLSHIT. Maybe the Bills would have marched right down the field and scored back.
Some regular season games are "play in" games. The Raiders had one in week 18.
I got it. Each team gets a shot. Whoever scores quicker wins. It would make for an exciting overtime. No one would hand the ball off. It would be all passes. Starting on the 25. If you can't kick a field goal then you go for it on 4th down because no punting in OT. Just show us how good you can do and how quickly you can do it. Then we let the other team show us what they have starting on the 25. Go.
Too gimmicky. 10 minutes...just play football.

good stuff; thanks.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Hats off to KC...that was a game for the ages.

Making the players play longer. It's already a very dangerous sport to play. Gets sloppy and more dangerous after 4 quarters.

I like what the guy on tv said. Keep the rule the same in the regular season but change it in the playoffs. Yea, it's bullshit a coin toss cost the Bills the game. It's BULLSHIT. Maybe the Bills would have marched right down the field and scored back.

I got it. Each team gets a shot. Whoever scores quicker wins. It would make for an exciting overtime. No one would hand the ball off. It would be all passes. Starting on the 25. If you can't kick a field goal then you go for it on 4th down because no punting in OT. Just show us how good you can do and how quickly you can do it. Then we let the other team show us what they have starting on the 25. Go.

Additionally.... they just expanded the season by one whole game. It would seem as though if the players and the owners were worried about danger...they would not have done that.

Disagree.

The last thing the NFL needs is games lasting forever.

If you can’t defeat your opponent in 60 minutes, then you deserve to lose in OT.
A minimum of another 15-minute quarter with regular rules added to playoff overtime. Then the rules we see that K.C. won this time comes into play after. The NFL now is an offensive minded league. There are defensive struggle games of course. With the referees being questionable at times and massive amounts of rules they have to do this right. The playoffs are different. One team advances. The NFL could experiment trying to reduce the chances of ties by promoting more two points after touchdown plays by moving the ball closer to the goal line.

A minimum of another 15-minute quarter with regular rules added to playoff overtime. Then the rules we see that K.C. won this time comes into play after. The NFL now is an offensive minded league. There are defensive struggle games of course. With the referees being questionable at times and massive amounts of rules they have to do this right. The playoffs are different. One team advances. The NFL could experiment trying to reduce the chances of ties by promoting more two points after touchdown plays by moving the ball closer to the goal line.

Yeah but as soon as you put that rule in place, a game like the Raiders and LA Chargers played 3 weeks ago happens....a regular season game that has playoff "win or go home" implications takes place....and it went into overtime and the Raiders won in a walk-off FG as time expired but that FG could have just as easily taken place with 3 minutes left on the clock too thus depriving the Chargers of a chance at tying or winning.

Just play the damn game. This isn't that difficult. If, in the regular season, it ends in a tie, that's fine. The teams were evenly matched on that day. In the playoffs, you've got to have a winner. Nobody that I know of is suggesting playing multiple overtimes in week 2

Additionally.... they just expanded the season by one whole game. It would seem as though if the players and the owners were worried about danger...they would not have done that.
They are concerned about it. That's why they play one less pre season game right?

The rule needs to change, but I don't blame the rule for the outcome. I blame Buffalo's loss on the defense's inability to keep Kansas City out of field goal range for just thirteen seconds.
You don't get it. If they only scored a field goal, the other team would have got the ball back and got a chance to either tie or win. But because Kansas City won the coin toss and scored a TD, game over? It's bullshit.

Oh and by the way, this rule I believe hurt Kansas City one year and helped them this year. They didn't like it either the year it hurt them.

True. Romo pointed out the tactical mistake the Bills made not forcing a KC return.
Kind of true. They should have kicked it to the 15 yard line and made the other team try to run it back, burning off some key seconds.

Hey, I have a great idea. If the first team who wins the coin toss scores a field goal, the second team can't tie them with a field goal. Either they score a TD or they lose. That way it won't ever be a tie in OT unless neither team can score.

You don't get it. If they only scored a field goal, the other team would have got the ball back and got a chance to either tie or win. But because Kansas City won the coin toss and scored a TD, game over? It's bullshit.

Oh and by the way, this rule I believe hurt Kansas City one year and helped them this year. They didn't like it either the year it hurt them.

Thanks, but I understand it perfectly. When KC got the ball back, there were 13 seconds on the clock. If Buffalo's defense had done its job and kept the Chiefs from advancing the ball for that short amount of time, the Bills would have won outright with no need for any overtime whatsoever.

Thanks, but I understand it perfectly. When KC got the ball back, there were 13 seconds on the clock. If Buffalo's defense had done its job and kept the Chiefs from advancing the ball for that short amount of time, the Bills would have won outright with no need for any overtime whatsoever.
Wouldn't football be fun if they played every down like they do in the 4th when they are down? Until the end, it's a chess match. Happy to run the ball, eat up clock and punt pinning them deep.

Remember the Curt Warner Rams days? That's what I'm talking about. Scoring a lot. Deep passes. Fun fun fun!

Kind of true. They should have kicked it to the 15 yard line and made the other team try to run it back, burning off some key seconds.

Hey, I have a great idea. If the first team who wins the coin toss scores a field goal, the second team can't tie them with a field goal. Either they score a TD or they lose. That way it won't ever be a tie in OT unless neither team can score.
Just play football. No gimmicks.

It's such an easy fix.

If one team scores a TD, the other has to answer with a TD or it's over.

If one team scores a FG, the other team can answer with a FG and then start again, or the second team can win with a TD

If the first team goes 3 and out, and the second team gets a FG, the second team wins.

If they both go 3 and out over and over, the game keeps going until:
A. the first team scores and the second can't answer
B. the first team punts and the second team scores.

Very very simple. Yet...

It's such an easy fix.

If one team scores a TD, the other has to answer with a TD or it's over.

If one team scores a FG, the other team can answer with a FG and then start again, or the second team can win with a TD

If the first team goes 3 and out, and the second team gets a FG, the second team wins.

If they both go 3 and out over and over, the game keeps going until:
A. the first team scores and the second can't answer
B. the first team punts and the second team scores.

Very very simple. Yet...

Easier just to play another quarter...

Forum List

Back