~Kate Gosselin On Fertility Drugs~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Well, I reckon if anybody on this earth should know a little sumpin sumpin about fertility drugs, it'd be this woman.
What do y'all think about fertility drugs??
I know there are more important people who can speak about fertility drugs, but I found this article, and I was also really wondering how most people felt about Kate Gosselin herself ~LoL~

Kate Gosselin Warns Future Parents About The Woes Of Fertility Treatments

The couple turned down the grotesque decision called "selection reduction" which is the procedure where you get to choose which little human life you want to extinguish before they get too far along.

The couple turned down the grotesque decision called "selection reduction" which is the procedure where you get to choose which little human life you want to extinguish before they get too far along.

This I know.
But I was thinking maybe people go to the fertility clinics far too often. Maybe adoption would be a better choice??
That way, they are only certain to come out with one child, and not be totally shocked by having 6!
And a child in need, gets a home they deserve :)

Well, I reckon if anybody on this earth should know a little sumpin sumpin about fertility drugs, it'd be this woman.
I know there are more important people who can speak about fertility drugs, but I found this article, and I was also really wondering how most people felt about Kate Gosselin herself ~LoL~

On a bet, egged on by my buddies, after a few beers, I took a whole bunch of fertility drugs once.

Never generated a single Ovum.

I don't think they work.

On a bet, egged on by my buddies, after a few beers, I took a whole bunch of fertility drugs once.

Never generated a single Ovum.

I don't think they work.

Maybe you didn't bang the right thing :lol:

New clue to infertility...
:eusa_eh:
Lack of sperm coating plays role in infertility
Wed Jul 20,`11 WASHINGTON – Scientists have found a new contributor to male infertility, a protein that's supposed to coat sperm to help them swim to an egg, unless that coating goes missing.
About 20 percent of men may harbor gene mutations that leave their sperm coat-free and thus lower their fertility, an international research team reported Wednesday. Today's reproductive tests can't spot the problem, said study co-author Dr. Theodore Tollner of the University of California, Davis. "You would have no reason to think many of these men with the genetic mutation would have reduced sperm function," he said. Anywhere from 10 percent to 15 percent of couples experience infertility, and doctors can't always find the cause. A lack of sperm or problems with their shape or ability to move explains only a fraction of infertility.

The California-led team found a new reason, a protein that's part of a family of germ-killing molecules found on the surfaces of a variety of tissues. It's secreted as sperm journey into the female reproductive tract, helping the sperm to penetrate the mucus in a woman's cervix and to avoid being tagged as an invader by her immune system. Having two copies of a particular gene mutation means sperm cannot produce that coating. Lab tests show those sperm have a hard time making it through the mucus. But how much does that affect fertility?

The researchers tracked 500 newly married Chinese couples attempting to conceive. The birth rate was 30 percent lower among couples with a husband who harbored that double mutation, scientists reported in the journal Science Translational Medicine. Having just one copy of the mutated gene doesn't seem to hinder conception. The coatless sperm don't always fail, so it's not clear just how much this issue contributes to male infertility overall.

But creating a test to diagnose these men would be easy, the researchers said. Such a test potentially would lessen the time that a couple having problems conceiving spends in limbo before trying treatments such as having sperm placed directly into the woman's uterus. One day, a vaginal gel might even let sperm pick up the protein coating as it travels into the cervix. The California researchers say they're already trying that with animals.

Lack of sperm coating plays role in infertility - Yahoo! News

Wed Jul 20,`11 WASHINGTON – Scientists have found a new contributor to male infertility, a protein that's supposed to coat sperm to help them swim to an egg, unless that coating goes missing.
About 20 percent of men may harbor gene mutations that leave their sperm coat-free and thus lower their fertility, an international research team reported Wednesday. Today's reproductive tests can't spot the problem, said study co-author Dr. Theodore Tollner of the University of California, Davis. "You would have no reason to think many of these men with the genetic mutation would have reduced sperm function," he said. Anywhere from 10 percent to 15 percent of couples experience infertility, and doctors can't always find the cause. A lack of sperm or problems with their shape or ability to move explains only a fraction of infertility.

The California-led team found a new reason, a protein that's part of a family of germ-killing molecules found on the surfaces of a variety of tissues. It's secreted as sperm journey into the female reproductive tract, helping the sperm to penetrate the mucus in a woman's cervix and to avoid being tagged as an invader by her immune system. Having two copies of a particular gene mutation means sperm cannot produce that coating. Lab tests show those sperm have a hard time making it through the mucus. But how much does that affect fertility?

The researchers tracked 500 newly married Chinese couples attempting to conceive. The birth rate was 30 percent lower among couples with a husband who harbored that double mutation, scientists reported in the journal Science Translational Medicine. Having just one copy of the mutated gene doesn't seem to hinder conception. The coatless sperm don't always fail, so it's not clear just how much this issue contributes to male infertility overall.

But creating a test to diagnose these men would be easy, the researchers said. Such a test potentially would lessen the time that a couple having problems conceiving spends in limbo before trying treatments such as having sperm placed directly into the woman's uterus. One day, a vaginal gel might even let sperm pick up the protein coating as it travels into the cervix. The California researchers say they're already trying that with animals.

A sperm wears a coat????

Jeeze. Isn't it kindof hot in there for that?

Last edited:

A sperm wears a coat????

Jeeze. It's it kindof hot in there for that?

You are always hot :razz:

Granny says mouses is fertile enough already, don't need any more of `em around here as it is...
Stem cell sperm study leads to successful mouse births
4 August 2011 - The scientists were able to coax stem cells into early sperm cells
Fertility experts are hailing a mouse study in which working sperm cells were created from embryonic stem cells in mice as "hugely exciting". Japanese researchers successfully implanted early sperm cells, made from the stem cells, into infertile mice. The working sperm which they made was then used to father healthy, and crucially fertile, pups, Cell journal reports. A UK expert said it was a significant step forward in infertility research.

'Landmark achievement'

The Kyoto University team were able to turn mouse embryonic stem cells into early sperm cells called primordial germ cells (PGCs). When these were transplanted into infertile mice, the animal played "host" as the stem cells developed into normal-looking sperm. This was then used to successfully fertilise eggs. These eggs were then transplanted into a female mouse and healthy offspring were born who grew into fertile male and female adult mice. The team, led by Mitinori Saitou, suggest the same procedure could be carried out using stem cells derived from adult skin cells.

Dr Jane Stewart, a spokeswoman for British Fertility Society and consultant gynaecologist at Newcastle Fertility Centre said the ability to generate gametes (reproducing cells) or gamete producing cells in the lab would be a "landmark achievement in the understanding and potentially treatment of fertility problems". She added: "This publication in an animal model marks a further step towards this goal. "However, as the authors clearly point out, much work remains to be done before we have a full understanding of such biological processes and indeed the implications of undertaking them in the lab."

Dr Allan Pacey, senior lecturer in Andrology at the University of Sheffield said: "Many research groups have attempted to re-create the process of sperm production in the laboratory using stem cells as the starting material. "This has huge implications for furthering our understanding of how sperm are made, but may also one day lead to a clinical application whereby we could make sperm for infertile men." But he added: "Sadly, so far, none of the attempts to make sperm from embryonic stem cells have been hugely successful, although we have learned much about some of the cellular processes involved.

"Furthermore, most of the attempts to use sperm-like cells have lead to the birth of unhealthy offspring which have quickly died." But he said the Kyoto paper was "quite a large step forward" in developing a process by which sperm could be made for infertile men, perhaps by taking as a starting point a cell from their skin or from something like bone marrow. He added: "Clearly more work needs to be done to refine this process, but it's hugely exciting."

BBC News - Stem cell sperm study leads to successful mouse births

What do y'all think about fertility drugs?

Fertility drugs?

How do you convince the corn stalk to swallow?

Forum List

Back